PDA

View Full Version : sparring experiances

GreyFox81
11-06-2001, 09:44 AM
i had a learning experiance while free sparring
so far i have only free sparred about 4 times
the first time i did my sparring partner lose and he was there a year longer than me then next class
i sparred with another student i lose i had under estimated him and over estimated my skills
but my most horrible lost was to a student how was there for like 4 plus years i got my @$$ kicked
and he was tired from sparring a few minutes before sparring me and he was toying me at that but i have learned and get better has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them :)

death doesn't end life i do

jesper
11-06-2001, 09:56 AM
My best sparring experiences comes when I get my ass kicked.
three good things happens
1) you learn to deal with the pain
2) you learn to keep your head cool in crisis
3) You learn more about your skill level from a defeat than from a victory.

The first few times, I tended to panic when getting beaten up, but now I am still able to keep my head relatively cool even though im on the recieving end of the beating

Ryu
11-06-2001, 10:18 AM
Yep.
Had a Brazilian guy who trained down in Brazil for competitions spar with me all the time in judo. I loved it. He could always get me in the end, but he really had to work and sweat for it! :D **** strong competitor.

I was sick one night, and went at it with a 250 pound judoka about 5 inches taller than me, and lots of weight on me (I'm about 180)
Got my clock cleaned. Didn't like it, trained hard, went back and beat him the second time around. :)
(then took a break haha!)

Competition is a good thing. Even if you don't like tournaments (I don't) you have to spar with the guys that do it. At least once in a while.

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

GreyFox81
11-06-2001, 12:21 PM
what clip of ryu is that pic from
on another note i think i did panic a little when
i spared with the really advance student in the begining but later on into it i was getting frustrated that every attack i threw at him never
got threw it was either blocked or redirected and i have been in a few fights in my life about
20 plus and in all of them i destroyed my opponent
except for when i was 13 years old and the guy i was fighting had to boxing and beat the hell out of me .

death doesn't end life i do

Kristoffer
11-06-2001, 01:56 PM
street fighter 2 the animated movie

me LIKE

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

shaolinboxer
11-06-2001, 05:14 PM
Yes, keep sparring.

Losses are temporary, learning is permanent.

Robinf
11-06-2001, 06:21 PM
I constantly get my head handed to me in sparring in TKD by three consistent partners. The worst part is they're all younger than I (two of them by 12 years). But, I love sparring with them because they're so good. They make me work harder to improve. This also helps me ingrain in my mind--NEVER GIVE UP! Since I've been cultivating this attitude, I'm a far more positive person and have been able to deal with lifes downs much better. All from sparring with people who can kick my bu!! from here to kingdom come.

I've also learned that they don't care that they beat me, they love to see that I'm improving and am working so hard to do so. So, it's a win situation for all of us. They're learning that there's more to sparring than just winning (though, they are competitive and love to win), and I'm learning better life habits.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Kaitain(UK)
11-06-2001, 06:28 PM
Something I'm trying to work on at the moment is a way to get the adrenalin flowing before a sparring match - try and get people used to fighting when they are at their worst state

Not sure how to do it though - getting all the other students to watch can work sometimes

it's a toughie...

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"