View Full Version : Lin Sil Di Dar???

curtis
12-05-2001, 05:23 PM
Im trying to under stand a concept,Can any one explain what is
Lin sin di dar? and how do you use it?
thanks in advance. C.A.G.:confused:

Wingman
12-05-2001, 06:12 PM
Lin sin di dar can be loosely translated as "simulteanous block and strike". Normally, we counter a strike with a tan sao, fook sao, etc. In lin sil di dar, you don't block; instead you strike. Your strike is your defence. The best defence is a good offence.

One technique used in lin sil di dar is "kuen sho kuen" or fist parries fist. You counter a punch with a punch. Your punch will at the same time parry your opponent's incoming punch.

ghoyd
12-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Actually no.

Lin Sil Di Da is "simultaneous attack and defence", but your example is wrong.

Countering a punch with a punch is intercepting with a cutting punch (time hit).

Lin Sil Di Da is like performing a tan sau with one hand while punching with the other. Another example would be pak da (pak sau with one hand while punching with the other).

I whole heartedly agree that "the best defense is a good offense).

I also prefer interception over simultaneous attack and defense. (Just my opinion)

Wingman
12-06-2001, 08:12 PM
Tan da and pak da are also examples of lin sil di dar. One hand defends and the other attacks at the same time. In my example of "fist parries fist", the hand that attacks is also the hand that defends. Attack and defense is simultaneous. Wouldn't this qualify as lin sil di dar too?

Anyway, I like this technique (fist parries fist) because it very efficient. One hand takes care of both offence and defence and I still have one hand free.

Wei Sui
12-06-2001, 11:30 PM
Wingman, yer correct ...fist parrying fist is lin sil di dar....even more so than tan da/pak da. a good wing chun man will "retain first" before attacking...although the retaining is so quick that is looks simultaneous with the attack.

Convergence
12-07-2001, 08:35 AM
In my example of "fist parries fist", the hand that attacks is also the hand that defends. Attack and defense is simultaneous. (snipped) One hand takes care of both offence and defence and I still have one hand free.

Wingman,

I can't think of anything better than launching a Chung Choie as a Wu Sao to an oncoming attack.

As timing would be absolutely critical, I would be very interested in hearing your training methods regarding not only "reading" your opponent but also any speed drills you have found useful.

reneritchie
12-07-2001, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Lien is to link or continue, Siu is to cancel or dispel, Dai is to bring, and Da is to hit. Lien Siu Dai Da can be, as others have said, loosely translated as "simultaneous attack and defense", but I think it goes a little further to show how one can also create the other.

Rgds,

RR

Spectre
12-07-2001, 02:45 PM
...fist parrying fist is lin sil di dar....even more so than tan da/pak da.

Why would fist parrying fist follow Lin Sil Di Dar even more so than Tan Da/Pak Da? Because it is the same arm?

Simultaneous offense and defense is just what it says regardless of whether or not one limb or two are used. I will agree however that it follows the Lin Sil Di Dar concept in a more efficient manor when used correctly than a Tan Da or Pak Da.

Kevin

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

Wingman
12-07-2001, 08:10 PM
"simultaneous attack and defense", but I think it goes a little further to show how one can also create the other.

I agree with reneritchie. Attack is the secret of defense; defense
is the planning of an attack. When your opponent attacks and you counter his attack with your own attack, he would not be able to continue his offensive. In fact he will be on the defensive. To successfully do "lin sil di dar", you must have good timing. To have good timing, you must know your opponent. Knowing your opponent enables you to take the offensive.

Wingman
12-10-2001, 10:34 PM
I can't think of anything better than launching a Chung Choie as a Wu Sao to an oncoming attack.

BTW, what is Chung Choie?

Convergence
12-11-2001, 12:42 PM
What is Chung Choie?

Picture a vertical fist strike, typically launched from the elbow pocket, that snaps 3" behind the target.

This is Wing Chun Do's definition of a Chung Choie:

The elbow is placed loosely in the elbow pocket. The forearm is relaxed and raised slightly and is at a slight inward angle. The hand is in a loose fist position.

The strike comes from the elbow projecting the fist forward in a straight line toward the target.

I hope this helps.