PDA

View Full Version : I built one of them martial arm things tonight

Jeff Liboiron
12-05-2001, 10:16 PM
I don't know if you guys haev seen this thing, but you can go to martialarm.com is you want to see it. I find it ecellent for my training, but it isn't as good as the mook jong.

I recommend it for everybody:D

straight blast
12-06-2001, 02:59 AM
I'm so glad someone posted about one of those things. I was curious if they'd be as good as a mook jong. How do you find the moving arm to work with? Are the joints realistic in the way they move? Much curious :D

Gluteus Maximus
12-06-2001, 06:25 AM
That arm on that website looks deadly! It's tossed that guy in the photo backwards by the look of it. :)

Hey, that guy's leaning right back...he must be doing Wing Chun! Maybe that's where Robert Smith or whoever it was in that post recently got their idea about what Wing Chun is. :D

Seriously though Jeff, how did you build it? It says it can move up, down sideways and in every direction. Has it got a spring at the elbow joint and a swivelling joint at the shoulder, or what? Are its movements predictable all the time or only about 42.7% of the time?

Thanks,

Jeff Liboiron
12-06-2001, 11:12 AM
OK. I made the base for it out of a big piece of plywood (well not BIG, but a fair size), screwed a wooden post onto the base and used the wooden post for the "body" and screwed a piece of wood to the top of the body, cut two holes in it, one for chest height and one for face height. For the arm i used one of those long foam bar things that you can use when you go swimming or whatever.

I works really well, but not as good as the mook jong becasue the mook is more sturdy, and can take fast, hard blow's, whereas i find the martial arm better for developing technique, root, and as well as the mook, different combinations.

The arm moves where ever i want it, sometimes it screws up, but 95% of the time it works very well. And those foam things have a really good bend to them,, but are also very sturdy at the same time.

rubthebuddha
12-06-2001, 04:47 PM
is the martial arm helpful or workable with your prosthetic?

Jeff Liboiron
12-06-2001, 06:11 PM
Hey rtb,

Yes it is very workable with my prosthetic and is excellent for helping me develop a better root with my one foot. I find the mook jong better overall, but for some reason, the martial arm has helped me develop a more solid root.

It's aslo better for practicing ducking under the arm, and coming up with a punch to the chest or head, with the mook jong you can't do that (well i haven't found out a way to) so that is another bonus.