PDA

View Full Version : What is Intention?

red5angel
12-06-2001, 11:39 AM
In studying Wing chun I have read alot on intention but haven't really heard a good explanation about it. I hear a lot about it being important in wingchun to have intention and be soft, what exactly does that mean?

Red5angel

greyseal
12-06-2001, 04:17 PM
I think that when you have 'intent', you are executing a maneuver with full concentration; Fir example, the internal art of Hsing-Yi, from what I've read of it, has a mind set of continuing toward the enemy/opponent with the thought of constantly striving toward the target. In that case, the intent would be to strike the opponent no matter what type of defenses that he/she would put up. I don't know if I've expalined my thoughts effectively, but I hope it shed some light on your question. Peace.

old jong
12-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Controling the motions with the mind.Being there without distractions or worries about the results or following moves.;)

rubthebuddha
12-06-2001, 04:44 PM
wanting to hit the opponent at all times. in regards to standing square to your opponent (square by hips and shoulders), no matter what stance you're in, your arms (and eventually legs) are always trying to find a way forward. think like water -- it always continues trying to make it further down. in the case of a river, it's constantly flowing, moving around rocks, trees, people, bridge bracing, etc. it's not fighting the rock and trying to move it from it's heavy and stable base. it merely finds a way to flow around it, through it, or whatever.

now think of your hands the same way. always executing as clean of form as you can, your hands are always intent on moving toward your target. you're not fighting your opponents limbs, no matter how strong they are. rather, you're continually looking to find a hole through or a way around your obstruction. think of your hands as the river and the opponents body as the sea.

with all that in mind, go kick some ass.

S.Teebas
12-06-2001, 09:38 PM
What is Intention?

Determination.

It is an idea (SLT??)

It's where you want to go. It's there, but there are obstacles on your way inevatability ..but intention shows you the way around effortlessly.

It' not a place, but you want to get there. And once you think you are there...you realise it's already passed.

Does the further distance you need to travel to get there make you (your intention) stronger?

Your intention makes you unshakable!

S.Teebas

sanchezero
12-06-2001, 10:20 PM
As a starting point focus on what the motion you are performing does or should do. Its easiest to think of strikes with intent b/c they are so clear (superficially).

Perhaps its most important as a way to avoid distraction. If you concentrate on your tan sao then you ain't worryin' bout the rent...