PDA

View Full Version : wedding ring damage

lightfoot
12-06-2001, 01:34 PM
I was just reading the thread on punching with the bottom three knuckles and a thought struck me.
Most married people wear a wedding ring. You must take it off for class, but on the street you wouldn't have time.
My question is:
Is there any possibilty that a wedding ring could damage your knuckles when punching with the lower three knuckles?

fa_jing
12-06-2001, 02:35 PM
I think this is where you make contact with your knuckles, and not the whole fist. But I would probably just punch with the top two knuckles. I know from experience that punching a heavy bag with the ring on and no gloves definitely causes pain to the ring finger.

-FJ

rubthebuddha
12-06-2001, 04:01 PM
who's gonna feel it more, you or the attacker?

of course, i'm 24 and single and i haven't worn any jewelry of any kind since a dopey ring one of my girlfriends gave me in high school, so i'm kinda unfamiliar with the physics of wedding rings and punches. but it seems that a sore finger sucks a lot less than a sore face.

ideas?

vingtsunstudent
12-06-2001, 07:24 PM
if you're worried about damaging your ring or yourself for that matter then you shouldn't be fighting in the first place.
vts

lightfoot
12-07-2001, 01:40 AM
rtb - agreed, in a fight you think first about damage to opponent rather than a bit of pain for yourself.
and from what fj said there is a possibility of damage/pain to the knuckles
vts - I'm not 'worried', just interested

Abstract
12-07-2001, 07:38 AM
i'm married & if i hit someone with the same hand my ring is on i think it would tear their chin/cheek/lip up.

It's just a band, but has a greek key ring design on it with raised grooves...this thing would rip into the skin on someone's grill. My knuckle/ring finger would probably swell up pretty good though.
:eek:

rubthebuddha
12-07-2001, 01:36 PM
swelling on the hand? that's why god invented ice. the other guy has to worry about who invented dental work and how good of an inventor they were.

straight blast
12-07-2001, 06:26 PM
Yes it will probably break your finger. It broke my brother's finger when he hit someone with one on. But, them's the breaks...:D