PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Drills

CanadianBadAss
12-06-2001, 10:45 PM
or maybe it's just because I don't understand the purpose... this one school I was at, had this drill to train there bong sao, where 2 people would stand facing each other, one guy with a bong sao and the other guy with his forarm leaning against the bong sao. Basically the guy with the bong sao up would use his free hand and push the other guys forarm down and it would become a bong sao and his bong sao would become the leaning forarm, and then they repeat that and the drill can go on forever. Can some one explain to me what this drill is meant to eccomplish?

hmm.... Well we're on the subject, does any one else no any wing chun drills that seem usless?

sanchezero
12-06-2001, 11:06 PM
I'm having trouble visualizing it. It sounds like some lame-duck lap sau drill. No punch?

Whatever. Some people just like to make up crap for the fun of it.:rolleyes:

Wei Sui
12-06-2001, 11:33 PM
This sounds like a case of sloppy lop/da drill. No punch=no stimulus/response. Doing fast without purpose can make a good drill pointless.

red5angel
12-07-2001, 08:52 AM
I carried over alesson to kung fu that I learned in boot camp in the USMC. You do a lot of things in Boot that seem really stupid and really irritating, but everything that you do has a purpose, everything. For example, when you go through the mess line, you step sideways. That drove me nuts until our Senior Drill explained one night that that teaches you to side step for parade drilling and side stepping. In Kung fu it sometimes seems like you are doing something that seems useless, and this doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't useless, but it could serve its purpose. I always ask my Sifu about anything I have questions on and a good Sifu will always explain these things to you.

red5angel

alienofwar
12-07-2001, 11:32 AM
I think you were practicing a bon sao/lap da (or however way you spell that) cycle. We do the same thing in our school. I think the point of the drill is well...to drill it into your head.

"For every action there is a reaction"

fmann
12-07-2001, 11:38 AM
I've seen that drill, too. It's supposed to build the instinct to reverse your bong position as soon as possible and press the attack.

There are other ways to do, so I don't really do it anyway.

Majic Sam
12-07-2001, 12:50 PM
Just joined the forum,first post.
My chi sau is weak.I like the hubud drill w/ destructions ala Inosanto/FMA.That's about it.You train in Van,Canbadass?

[Censored]
12-07-2001, 01:49 PM
I don't know what THEIR intended purpose was. I do know that type of drill can train a person to absorb force through their bong, without collapsing and without losing their structure. Obviously, the person who leans is not training Wing Chun, but is helping their partner to do so.

CanadianBadAss
12-07-2001, 07:08 PM
Yep, what skool do train at? And in your profile it says u make PVC dummies, how much do u sell them for?

CanadianBadAss
12-07-2001, 07:11 PM
can you post or send me a pick of the dummie?

Majic Sam
12-07-2001, 07:18 PM
Not sure how much to sell for until I actually pull enough$ together to make them again.Some work space would be nice,too.Not a trainaee,just some Key-Fu.Would like to train w/ Sifu Fred Kwok though.

CanadianBadAss
12-07-2001, 07:26 PM
If you're in vancouver you should stop by my school on sunday, its right by the burrard sky train station. Just estimate how much u think it would be if u started making them again?

Majic Sam
12-08-2001, 02:22 PM
Hello Paul,

I'll have to visit your kwoon soon.What's the address and time?Sunday's are busy unfortunately.I don't really feel like coming across as a builder or quoting prices online at this point.Anyhow,cheaper and probably close to Great Lion pvc in Quality.

CanadianBadAss
12-08-2001, 08:32 PM
on sundays we start 10:30 am and usually go for an hour or 2. I live in white rock so i can only make it to the sunday classes, but I think my sifu has classes pretty much every day of the week. He teaches out of his apartment, its just down the street from the burrard sky train station on burrard right across the street from that store with big neon on sign saying "Virgin" (its a big cd store) anyhow, if u read this befor sunday and wanna try a class wait infront of the virgin record store at like 10:15 and ill see u and bring u over.

Sharky
12-09-2001, 09:30 AM
LOK sau drill?

rubthebuddha
12-10-2001, 11:36 PM
the drill sounds like a very bad or at last very pared down version of the jut-jum cycle. i'm not sure which -- i'd have to evaluate the instructor and how it was taught, and what was hoped to be gained by it. :)

Cipher
12-12-2001, 10:54 AM
It would make more sense if the person with the bong sou up grabbed the others hand rolled it over and turned it into a strike rather than leaving it there leaning. Could it be that it is supposed to be a strike instead of a leaning forearm? I know sometimes it is hard to tell when people do drills because it flows together so much.

mun hung
12-12-2001, 11:45 AM
It should be a punch to the face. It's not supposed to be left out there knuckle facing up leaning on the bong sau.

[Censored]
12-12-2001, 01:00 PM
I don't think this kind of drill is weak or sloppy, if you want to improve your fighting skill (as opposed to a strictly theoretical understanding of combat).

Do you think a "real attacker" will try to engage you in a Wing Chun match? No? So why spend 100% of your training time facing Wing Chun style attacks?

whippinghand
12-13-2001, 12:04 PM
Perhaps, the "bong lap da" drill is meant to train something very specific, as opposed to the obvious motions that you see, such as the punch to the face.

KenWingJitsu
12-17-2001, 04:31 PM
That is the most useless drill in the world that has a wing chun name.

It's primarily a JKD drill. It does nothing. I learned it years ago & it doesn't translate into fighting. Proper chi-sao teaches you better "intent" for the bong-sao & lop sao. This drill is just a shoulder exercise.

Jeff
12-17-2001, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a lop sau drill of some sort.
I think I know of a lop sau drill like that. In that drill it teaches you to have constant forward pressure, and the fundamentals of lop sau.