PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu availability in Virginia Beach/Norfolk

Kram1
12-07-2001, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

I am unexpectedly moving to the Little Creek/Norfolk/Virginia Beach Area ( Got recalled to active duty!) and am looking for a good school to continue my training. Saerching on-line has revealed a number of Wing Chun places, a Jow Ga studio (run by a man named Hoy K Lee), and a Bagua school run by Peter Buckman. I don't know much of the style, or of the men running them( I had started Northern Mantis). Does anyone here know of these folk? Or any other KF schools in the area? I had just started here in Tampa, found a great school,and now I must start all over again.I am flexible about the style, but wish to learn an effective combat system.

Thanks in Advance ,

MArk

ZhouJiaQuan
12-07-2001, 08:38 AM
Hi,
I am a student of Hoy K. Lee. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have of the school and my Sifu. Just post any question you might have here and i will be happy to help.

Walter

Kram1
12-07-2001, 10:30 PM
I see from the web site that it is a mixture of southern Hung Gar and northern shaolin. What stuff comes from where? Is it generally a hard or soft style? What are the basic principles? Are throws and locks part of the curriculum? How much? Sorry for the many question!

MArk

ZhouJiaQuan
12-08-2001, 11:02 AM
Hi, I should of said i will be gald to answer any question i can ;)

From what ive seen jow ga has alot more hung gar then nothern shaolin. The style is said to be Hung Tao Choy Mei, Haveing the head of hung and tail of choy(the upper body of hung gar, and the feet of choy ga). Jow Ga does have more nothern forms(ie more kicks and more of what you expect to see in nothern style) and that is were the nothern shaolin comes in. I would defintely say it is a generally hard style(i mean it comes from hung gar afterall). There are throws and locks in the style. Although we normally dont throw each other around we will practice the locks sometimes. Recently sifu has been going over animal tech. such as tiger and eagle. Good grabs and locks.

What do you mean by basic principles?

What style mantis do you train? wahlum? How long have you studied for?

I hope this helps some,
Walter

Kram1
12-08-2001, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the great reply!
I appreciate you taking the time!

On to your q's:

Basic Principle's: How you do the moves, an emphasis on a particular way of doing things (on speed, or centerline tech's, locks and throws, etc.) The way you gererate power, etc. (Ex: Wing Chun- centerline tech's, Ba Gua's emphasis on angles of attack, etc)

Pong Lai Wu Ji Northern Mantis (secret door, seven star, plum flower Mantis) from Taiwan, with Shr-fu John Scolaro, here in Tampa. Only been there a few months. Just learning the basics. Awed by Shr-fu's amazing applications for EVERY move. Before that, it was American Goju for a while, and a loooong time ago I did some Pai Lum White Dragon ( Southern KF w/ tiger, dragon, eagle, kenpo influences). So, a dabbler, due to my gypsy life style, once again uprooting and moving! Been out of it for a while and was just getting back into it.

MArk

ZhouJiaQuan
12-10-2001, 09:24 PM
Hi, hows it going?

No problem im glad you found ym post helpful. This post wont be long though. I wrote out a long one yesterday and this dern thing wouldnt let me post it, i guess the system was messing up. i saved it but its on another comp. I should get access to that one tommorrow. So ill post it then.

But real quick, when do you plan on moving?

And i'll get that long post on here tommorrow(um the 11th i think), now i must go study :( exam tomorrow :(

Walter
(you didnt by chance already move eh, i saw a guy come in today with some navy pants on, and i think little creek is navy(im not good with the bases, we got to many of em ;) )

mysteri
12-10-2001, 11:44 PM
i also am a student of sifu hoy k. lee. the jow ga system itself is very combat intensive. the style itself is unpredictable all the time, but i would have to say that this system is known for its swift footwork and devestating power it generates. if u are one who looks for realistic no b.s. system where u can become a great fighter, then this is what ur lookin for. if ur jus lookin to learn some good lookin traditional forms, this is also appealing in that sense. the best way to learn about the system is not to talk about it, but to actually come and train for a few months to really begin to understand what the system is about. if i had to categorize our strategy in comparison to other systems, we basically like to use powerful long arm techniques, shattering kicks, and the swift footwork carries this all. we dont like to analyze till we're paralyzed, we like to get in there and devastate! this is basically what we specialize in and much more, which is what attracted me. but as with a lot of things, the best way to learn what its all about is to experience it. good luck to you and i hope to see you soon!

brandon

ZhouJiaQuan
12-11-2001, 09:13 AM
*taking a bow to my sihing*

Well said...
i dont think i need to post the long one i wrote now ;)

peace,
Wally :)

tnwingtsun
12-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Don't forget Duncan Leung if ya want WC!

iblis73
12-11-2001, 06:50 PM
Joy Ga is a neat style and Duncan Leung (va beach) and his former student Dave Meadows (norfolk) are great WC teachers.
You should also check out the Linxx academy run by former SEAL Frank Cucci. The curriculum is more BJJ/Muay Thai/Kali and I've heard some silat thrown in. While not TCMAs, he is one **** good fighter as are his students-and VERY well rounded.
You've got some definate choices (my advice-quite your job, take a vow of poverty and do all three schools. But then how to pay for lessons?)

mysteri
12-12-2001, 02:35 PM
again, all of the aforementioned teachers are top notch. personally knowing sifu hoy lee(jow ga) and sifu duncan leung(wing chun) i can assure you first hand that the quality of teaching and combat effectiveness you would recieve is second to none. frank gucci also has a very good rep around here as a no b.s. guy. as i said before, i urge you to try the different classes, choose which one which best suits you, and once you find that you'll see that after enough time and effort, there's no reason to have to cross train in any other style! you make the style your own! it's good to see in the martial arts community that there are those who dont bicker about "which style is best to learn!" if there was only one martial art style best to learn that had the only effective fighters, then so many other proven systems would simply not exist! again, make it your own, and appreciate others'! train hard!

brandon

*returning bow to zhoujia <who likes to show off his low cat stance! :P>*