PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Kick (long and probably boring)

shaolinboxer
12-07-2001, 07:26 AM
Last winter I noticed a sharp pain deep in the back of my right knee after one of my workouts. I ignored it for a while, as it would come and go seemingly at random. But after being unable to stroll about on a nice Saturday afternoon due to the unbearable cramping pain, I decided to see a doctor.

After an MRI, X-ray, and two full exams by different doctors, I now know that I have a small tear in my right/rear meniscus. This will never heal, because blood flow to the area is so limited (it is deep in the knee joint).

I had already been practicing Aikido for a few months, and had limited my kicking becase of the pain. Realising I either had to change my technique or face surgery, I stopped kicking altogether and focused on how to improve all of my movements (walking, standing up, pivoting, etc).

The pain has nearly left me, flaring up about once a month and subsiding fairly quickly.

Last night it was 60 degrees out, so I went down to the hudson river for a late night practice.

Not being able to kick has been very depressing. I have spent several years refining my kicks, adding or subtracting different techniques. I have taught others how to kick with great success...so was all of that now gone?

Determined not to be defeated I warmed up and stretched out and got ready to throw some legs. As soon as I approached my first side kick STAB! pain....******!!

So I stood staring at the water in meditation....there must be a way to execute and not hurt myself.

Try again....slowly....aha! There it is....faster....faster....full speed!

And today...no pain.

Amazing how our weaknesses make us stronger.

-Lyle

Merryprankster
12-07-2001, 07:32 AM
Try finding out if you are a prolotherapy candidate. They inject the damaged site with a solution that promotes swelling and apparently this increases fluid flow to the area allowing your body to heal itself.

Don't know much else about it, but it's supposed to be pretty hot stuff.

scotty1
12-07-2001, 08:52 AM
Good for you man.:)

fmann
12-07-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Try finding out if you are a prolotherapy candidate. They inject the damaged site with a solution that promotes swelling and apparently this increases fluid flow to the area allowing your body to heal itself.

Don't know much else about it, but it's supposed to be pretty hot stuff.

Is this the same as hyaluranic acid injections? Some background, hyaluron is a major proteoglycan that makes up cartilage and helps recruit molecules (specifically GAG's) that promote water movement in cartilage. The fluid flows within cartilage give it the impressive compressive capabilities that articular cartilage is known for. So one genius came up with the idea, "hey, lemme see what happens if I inject this stuff!"

I read in a recent study, that HA injections haven't been that successful ex vivo for knees, but other joints like in the phalanges of the toes have been extremely successful.

so I'm wondering if it's the same stuff.