PDA

View Full Version : What is the application of a horse stance?

alienofwar
12-07-2001, 11:43 AM
What is the point of a horse stance? I mean it exposes your crotch area and is really funny to look at. I know that it is useful for getting out of a bear hug. But what are the many applications for this stance? Is this even a stance used in Wing Chun?

reneritchie
12-07-2001, 01:57 PM
Most things that have stood the test of time have some value, including the Sei Ping Ma (Si Ping Ma, Square Horse). It's used in most WCK systems with the pole, in Yip Man system also in the Jin Kuen (Jian Quan, Arrow Fist) set for pole preparation, and in other systems in the boxing as well. Typically, in WCK (and in the pole) it's used side-facing, not front-facing. In that manner, it can be used like any other horse - to step, jam, press, fold, lock, or otherwise control the lower level.

Rgds,

RR

shaolinboxer
12-07-2001, 02:07 PM
The sprawl.

red5angel
12-07-2001, 04:00 PM
I treally depends on what you mean, the horse stance that you do Sil Lim Tao seems to be a rooting and Qi building excerscise. It helps you to find your root and help syou to sink your stance. The practical Horse stance actually helps you to protect your crotch very well, a quick flick of the hips in the right direction and a kick or punch is successfully blocked.

straight blast
12-08-2001, 05:18 AM
It is an extremely effiecient, well balanced stance.
It is also an extremely efficient way to get kicked in the nuts.

David Jamieson
12-08-2001, 06:12 AM
the horse stance is virtually never used in a face on position.

strikes delivered from horse are doen to the sides, just liek you were riding a horse, you work to your sides and not to the font of yourself from atop a horse.

standing in a centered facing position while using horse stance is the incorrect use of the stance if it is not a purely transitional motion.

peace

alienofwar
12-08-2001, 04:26 PM
Yea that would make alot of sense attacking from the side of a horse stance. Thats what we do in class all the time. Thanks for all the replies guys!