PDA

View Full Version : How to cap a p.v.c. dummy?

Majic Sam
12-07-2001, 04:02 PM
I 've made a few pvc dummies in the past and am wondering how to make a cap to pour cement into.I've used epoxy and plywood to create a barrier and so far ,so good,but is there a more stable way of doing this?I've tried calling Great Lion co. but they aren't answering the phone lately.Any suggestions?

"Gung Fu is Gung Fu,it's not childsplay"-Bruce Lee

rogue
12-07-2001, 04:55 PM
The way I cap things is from about 50 yards out. Don't forget to factor in wind and drop.

http://www.snipercountry.com/photogallery/1shot.jpg

Actually that's not me in the photo, I'm the one running away as fast as I can.

Jeff Liboiron
12-07-2001, 07:21 PM
Hey Steve :)

thanks for the letter and picture of the dummy, it looks really good, i'll have to come over and try it one day, probably sometime in january or february.

Mokujin
12-07-2001, 08:18 PM
Hey Magic-

Sometimes Sifu Clark Thornton (who owns the Great Lion Company) gets very busy. I've asked him about the capping situation a while back and he explained it like this (paraphrased):

"You can fill the dummy by putting caps on either end and then filling the ends up to the slat hole at the top and the bottom (about 6" at each end) and then filling them with concrete. That adds about 40 lbs of weight to the dummy. You need to pour the same amount of concrete in at both ends to keep the dummy balanced. You cut round caps out of a 2 X 10 and insert them in the ends, then screw them in place"

Hope this helps. I have a picture of this somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

Also, anybody attempt to paint PVC? I want to paint my PVC dummy black. Sherman Williams sells a Preprite Anchor Bond which is a primer for slick surfaces such as PVC. Is this necessary or can I just paint it sans the Preprite Anchor primer??

Thanks & peace!
:D

Majic Sam
12-08-2001, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the info Mokujin-

2x10 w/ screws sounds good.I'd say rough sand well before 1st coat and see how it works.Let us know.