PDA

View Full Version : Bagua in Phoenix, AZ

J
12-07-2001, 06:45 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know of any good bagua instructors, combat oriented, in Phoenix, AZ? Or any other good schools (particularly, shuai jiao or WC)?

Thanks,
J

Chris McKinley
12-07-2001, 09:38 PM
I think perhaps Vince Black might be in Arizona. I'm not sure if he's in Phoenix though.

count
12-08-2001, 05:02 AM
Last contact I have for Vince Black is in Tucsun but it would be worth the commute. I have 3 teachers in AZ listed in my bagua school directory (http://kabooom.com/htmls/baguaschools.html) at my website.

xiong
12-08-2001, 07:59 AM
Hello J,

My teacher, Jinheng Li, teaches Ba Gua along with the rest of his Wushu curriculum. It is not really a fighting school from my perspective but I just haven't asked about it. His school is on 16th St. North of Mc Dowell you can find it in the Phone book, the stores name is World Martial Arts. He also teaches up at the Scottsdale Martial Arts Academy where I go and after that class another instructor teaches Wing Chun.
I don't remember the instructors name, but the class seems pretty good and I saw some video of a demonstration that the Sifu did at Master Li's last tournament and it was bad ass.
The school is @ 7701 E. Acoma, off of Hayden in Scottsdale. They are also in the phone book.
Hope this helps, sorry I don't have all the info right in front of me.

count
12-08-2001, 08:06 AM
You may be interested in this:

Dear Teachers & Practitioners of BAGUAZHANG and BAGUAQUAN,

Interested in attending a presentation of Gong Baotian's complete inner and outer Baguaquan system? Then come to the 2002 1ST ANNUAL YIN FU BAGUA CONFERENCE!

The Conference will also include a general Bagua research forum where all of us who attend shall try to piece together Dong Haichuan's original style from the information and experience each of us has to share.

WHEN: JANUARY 12-13, 2002

WHERE: SEDONA, ARIZONA

Check out www.ayba.org (http://www.ayba.org)for details.

Cordially,
Michael Guen, Ph.D.

J
12-08-2001, 04:08 PM
I'll pass on the information. It is quite useful.

Xiong: If you haven't seen any combat training, then your school is not combat-oriented. It isn't separate from general training. I'll still pass on the information and let my friend decide for himself. You never know.

Count: Thanks for the list and conference info. Do you have any information on the AZ schools. Which instructors would you recommend? What is Joseph Eager's teaching style and background. My friend is looking for a school that practices the martial more than the art. ;)

Thanks,
J

count
12-08-2001, 07:21 PM
Well, I do recommend Vince Black. Having never met the others I really can't say. My listings come mostly from the old Pakua Journals though and mostly have fair degree of reputability.

xiong
12-13-2001, 09:17 AM
J,

The Wing Tsun (I don't know anything about the politics of Tsun vs. Chun), instructor is Keith Sonnenburg his # is (480) 668-9220

The actual address of the Scottsdale Martial Arts Center is 7707 E. Acoma Dr. #107 Scottsdale, AZ 85260
their phone # is (480) 951-2716

My Shi Fu is Jinheng Li and his address is 2038B N. 16th St. Phoenix, AZ 85006 and his phone # is (602) 253-9134

I have not learned any Ba Gua, just a little Xing Yi, some other hand forms and Broadsword. I have only seen him do circle walking as a conditioning drill in another class. You should call him for the skinny on what he actually teaches.

You are probably right about the combat. Ever since I got my leg broken in a tournament I don't really pay attention to sparring. Just my personal bias at this point in my training.

Again hope this is useful information.