PDA

View Full Version : Choih Lei Faht OR Tibetan Lama Pai

Snoopy2000
12-07-2001, 08:10 PM
Greetings,

I am going to take up Kung Fu in January 2002 and I have two choices -- Choih Lei Faht OR Tibetan Lama Pai and I would like to know the difference in them?

Awhile back I took an Adutl Ed course in Karate and although I liked the workout and kicking I also like the Chinese Culture and would like to know what pertains to the closest to Kung Fu with kicking?

Thanks to All!

Snoopy:D

diego
12-07-2001, 09:08 PM
clf is well known,tlp is not,i study hop gar a style in the tibetan system,choy li fut looks good to me from what i have seen,but i would think it lucky to find a tibetan school,so from that alone I would go to the lama pai, wich is heavy in kicks-so is clf,they are somewhat cousins=clf well known so you cant lose,even if one school is crap you will find another lineage,fairly easily.
TLP you are **** lucky to find if thier crap your fairly screwed in your search,if thier good you have a style just as good as its cousins hung gar choy li fut etc but its not well known so not many know your tricks.
My two cents,are you refering to the tlp school in ny,if its the same i think they teach clf also.
Good luck.

diego
12-07-2001, 09:10 PM
just read your profile.

Snoopy2000
12-10-2001, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the reply!

The Kung Fu school is located in Nassau County in New York (Long Island) and teaches Choih Leit Faht OR Tibetan Lama Pai. You said Tibetan Lama Pai is rare to learn? Would it be good for self-defense?

Snoopy:D

HopGar
12-10-2001, 08:23 PM
Its awssome for for self defense. I'm in Hop Gar myself and I can tell ya that as it is a branch of Tibetan Lama, it kicks. I say go for it!

cha kuen
12-11-2001, 06:41 AM
They are both good styles and are very similar. The choice is easy, go with the teacher who is better and more fighting oriented, not form oriented.

Many schools like to teach forms forms forms and turn you into a dancer. The teacher should have free fighting in his teaching,not just applications.

Steven T. Richards
12-11-2001, 07:31 AM
My Tibetan Lion's Roar (Hop-Gar) comes from a Choy-Lay-Fut Master: Chan-Fat-Fu of Hong-Kong. My own Si-Fu Kenneth Liu-Ying-Wah, taught us hard 30 years ago - everything had to work and the training was dammed hard, always free fighting. He snapped my elbow joint in a free fight grapple.

That said, I wouldn't say that the two systems are that similar from what I've seen of Choy-Lay-Fut although I admire it very, very much indeed.

GM Ku-Chi-Wai has apparently commented that there are CLF influences in my Tibetan art - having seen some of it on film.
He also knows Chan-Fat-Fu, so maybe he camn say with some certainty.

I'm publishing a book on Tibetan Kung-Fu in March 2002. it will be practical and street orientated - based on three decades of practice including 13 years in front line law enforcement.

R
12-11-2001, 08:14 PM
I've posted this question 3 times now...seems to not get posted...

I would like to know if you have any info about Master Chan Tai Shan who teaches Toisan Choy Lee Fut /Hung ga and Lama Pai in NY. I would appreciate any information anyone has on this gentleman and in partular any information on websites or related information.

Snoopy2000, you would have a chance to study both Lama Pai and CLF at this gentlemans kwoon.

Cheers, R

JAZA
12-11-2001, 08:41 PM
Toisan CLF is Tsoi Lee Ho FO?? like Jimmy Woo's.
He said that is not CLF, but the coincidence of me make think any parentesc.

fgxpanzerz
12-11-2001, 08:49 PM
What town and what is the name>? Is it Sifu Gus's school?

diego
12-11-2001, 11:57 PM
YA HE IS IN A POST ON THE KUNG FU FORUM ABOUT MUAY THAI.
he is a student of chan,there sight is:
http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/4098/

or you can type in U.S. LAMA KUNG-FU ASSOCIATION

ALSO you can goto greencloud.com

i lost my favorites so khong steve everyone,Could you please post your links.

R
12-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Jaza......?Tsoi Lee Ho FO?? like Jimmy Woo's....Fraid not :')

Personally I don't know much about this sifu but I do beleive he teaches a version of CLF closely related to what my sifu teaches.

Diego..thanks for the web url...so far not alot of information.

I will continue to check.

Cheers, R :D

diego
12-12-2001, 07:30 PM
l wrote his name in the last post just goto search,or search for lama in the archives and you should find him,sifudavid ross
his screen name is in the subject of my last post,"cant link back-its lkfdmc????check it out