PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hand to hand combat do they teach you while in army basic training?

fgxpanzerz
12-07-2001, 11:14 PM
I might join the army soon and I wanna know. So if anyone here has had military experience, I'd be very interested in any info. you could provide.

African Tiger
12-08-2001, 12:31 AM
Really depends on what branch of the service you join. Most people use the generic term "Army" when they find out that you have served.

I assume that you are actually joining the Army - so the answer is not so simple. Most likely you will learn basic judo, probably some Japanese or Okinawan Karate. Most of the detailed stuff you will either learn on your own or in Special Forces training.

As a Marine we learned basic judo takedowns and chokeouts - kicking, armbars, holds being superfluous in combat.

Leonidas
12-08-2001, 02:46 AM
No offense but unless your aiming for special forces(Navy Seals, Army Rangers,Green Berets, possibly Marines) dont expect the government to teach you how to fight unarmed. You can just join a MA school while serving if possible. Don't let it discourage you but unless your listed above your pretty much cannon fodder to the big wigs in Washington.:mad: :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Paul
12-08-2001, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure if the term cannon fodder is entirely correct, but anyways. I was in the Marines for a few years. They had a system back in the early 90's called LINE training. LINE stands for...Linear In Fighting Neural-Overriding Engagement. I wasn't too impressed with it, but to be fair I didn't get extensive training in it either. LINE training has been replaced by some new program that I don't really know the details of, but I think they actually have some kind of belt ranking system.

HitWah
12-08-2001, 02:19 PM
At Ft.Benning we spent a total of 8hrs on H2H. A form of modified Karate/Judo punches & throws. Very straight forward nothing complicated. Army Infantry tactics focus on armed combat - expert use of the M-16A2,etc. Once you get to your duty station you could check out one of the martial art schools outside the the base. Good luck at basic.

fgxpanzerz
12-09-2001, 09:20 AM
What a ****. He was getting a haircut at the same time as me. Only problem was...he didnt have any hair left! His hair was already really short and he was getting another haircut? haha. Anywayz, he had this calm/****y look on his face and was wearing around his marine sweatshirt and shorts. sheesh

Does being a marine turn you into a superman like everyone thinks?

eviljungle
12-09-2001, 11:06 AM
A wing chun sifu of mine taught modified wing chun in the Marines. Don't know if this helps.:)

Paul
12-10-2001, 04:30 PM
>>>>Does being a marine turn you into a superman like everyone thinks?

No.

tomcat
12-13-2001, 07:47 PM
"does being a Marine make you a superman"? .No
Does getting a black sash make you a superman? . No
But it could't hurt!
When I was in back in the early 80's it was mostly judo,chokes, and thows. I also heard they are starting a new hand to hand system,complete with rank and continuous training.(it's about time)
Later,Tomcat

TIger Hand
12-13-2001, 09:02 PM
Doesn't matter if your Special Forces, Delta, SEAL Team 6, Force Recon...... You are not going to get much hand to hand combat in the military. You will spent countless hours training in firearms use, tactics, and explosives though.

Lets face it H2H hasn't been a deciding factor in warfare for the past several hundred years.

When i was in the Marines, my sargeant in infantry school told me, what they(marines) taught you is about enough to get you killed in H2H combat. So, he suggested everyone go to a local MA school and learn something; especially before they go overseas.

Its only in the movies that "jilted" ex commandos can tear a town apart with their bare hands.

The only people I know of who learn quite a bit of H2H/ MA in the military are the Asian countries,ie. Korea, China, Thailand, Taiwan...

Leonidas
12-13-2001, 11:58 PM
Probably cuz every soldier can't have guns there. There soldier to equipment ratio is pretty bad. Also thats a part of their culture blah blah blah.........but mainly it's supply shortage. You get a gun, and a knife and hopefully you survive

TIger Hand
12-14-2001, 01:42 AM
Don't have guns?????????

You have got to be $hitting me.....? I hope that was a joke.

I know they don't have JDAMs, stealth bombers, laserguided bombs....etc. Cmon, even the "cave dwelling" Taliban has guns.

Now, about MA being part of their military culture is probably more accurate a statement.

Apprentice
12-14-2001, 02:33 PM
The Russians were(maybe still) like that...they'd have like 1 guy gets a gun, 1(or 2) doesn't, you run next to the guy that does have a gun(if you dont) and if he dies, you pick up the gun(gotta get it quick) and then you got the gun, if you die, someone else gets ur gun...this is because their was more people then gun supplys, so thats how they improvised....

Shaolindynasty
12-14-2001, 02:47 PM
Since Gene isin't here I'll do it...Check the back isue section for the special police and military combat issue of Kungfu Qigong. The chinese military does have guns but they train alot in H2H, the Chinese police have NO guns so they deffinatly train in H2H alot.

TIger Hand
12-14-2001, 11:12 PM
Oh DEAR LORD!

Apprentice-

You are 17 yrs. old, still very young but, I think you are old enough now NOT to believe everything you see in the movies.

Besides "Enemy At the Gates" was about WWII. Oh, yeah it is just a movie, the real incident wasn't quite so dramatic.