PDA

View Full Version : Si lum tao and chi building

fgxpanzerz
12-07-2001, 11:31 PM
Everyone always says, "Do si lum tao to build chi." I dont know if it actually does but let's say it does. How is this method of building chi different from tai chi, ba gua, hsing i? Is it better? Healthier? Worse?

Dave Farmer
12-08-2001, 12:04 AM
Don't know anything about Tai Chi, Bagua or Hsing I, so couldn't comment honestly.

As to WC, I was taught that Siu Lim Tao (Siu Nim Tao) was primarily for body structure but the saam pai faat section had elements of chi kung.

There are so many variations of the way the form(s) are done that there are those who do and those that don't incorporate chi, dynamic tension, etc into the form.

Personally I use the Chi but Not the Dynamic tension.

Regards

Dave F.

dezhen2001
12-08-2001, 07:51 AM
Hi - i'm not very experienced in Wing Chun (only 18 months), but how can you decide whether to 'use' Chi or incorporate it into your training?

It is there whether you like it or not...every movement you make uses some kind of energy.

Some people say that doing Siu Lum Tao over a long period of time (the first section) helps develop your energy and technique...but right now i can only manage about 30-45 mins. guess i need to practise more :(

thanks,
david

Martial Joe
12-08-2001, 10:57 AM
Do your SLT relaxed and very slow...
Keep your shoulder relaxed and your elbow weighted...

You will feal the "chi".

cha kuen
12-11-2001, 06:47 AM
Sil lum tao is an internal form because of the alignment and the way it is played.

When your hips are forward and head back, your spinal cord is straight which allows you to get "connected"

Any kung fu style has this. If you look at yi chuan's standing meditation, their alignment is the same.

Also sil lum tao should be done slowly and take 15-20+ minutes pausing at the tan sau, fok sau and wu sao to build kui lek.

red5angel
12-11-2001, 08:10 AM
I think that for WC, Sil Lim Tao is the most apropriate Qi building exerscise, because it has everything you need built right into it. Alot of people believe, and I agree, that cross training, especially too early, can be more of a detriment to your martial arts. I say this why? Well, look at all of the people who say thi art or that art is incomplete, or is missing something, most arts cover everything at some point, it just a lot of people dont take the time to explore them thoroughly enough. I like to think of WC like chess, its easy to learn the basics, but to master it takes a lifetime of dedication. That is why many WC practitioners will tell you to stick with Sil Li Tao and not worry about Tai chi or Ba Gua or whatever. I use Sil Lim Tao for Qi mostly, practicing it slowly, and concentrating on pushing that grain of sand.

kungfu cowboy
12-11-2001, 10:23 AM
What does kui lek mean in English?