PDA

View Full Version : I am afraid

respectmankind
12-08-2001, 01:22 AM
I am afraid I cannot practice any MA or do any physical training for awhile. I just hurt my back, and it seems pretty serious. Anyone else have any similar setbacks do to injuries?

Johnny Hot Shot
12-08-2001, 01:25 AM
what happened?

respectmankind
12-08-2001, 01:26 AM
Blown disk. I never thought that this would happen at my age, but ****.

straight blast
12-08-2001, 01:40 AM
I broke my thumb really badly (back in the joint that joins the hand) and just when that healed, I broke my elbow. I've been out of fighting comission for 6 months waitng for it all to get better. That totally sucks.:(

Satanachia
12-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Just curious, but what exactly causes one to get a "blown disk"?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2001, 11:25 PM
giving too much head.

SevenStar
12-08-2001, 11:36 PM
a friend of mine hasn't been able to train hard or consistently for almost a year due to a back injury.

don bohrer
12-09-2001, 01:18 AM
I ruptured a disk in my lower back about 5 months ago, and I am still recovering! While I am getting better my recovery is slower than I ever imagined. I have a friend that is a licensed PT. He told me that injuries like mine take about a year to heal 80%, with the last 20% coming over time!
I am visiting a Chiro rather than my PT friend. While under his care I am still doing kenpo but at low speed, with little impact. I try not to bend at the waist or twist. My Chiro really hates the twisting part. I also dont jump or stomp. While I have tried to get back into training seriousely each time I have mildly reinjured myself.
Ice as much as you can stand. At first I had to ice on the way to and from work (ice packs). I would also ice for 30 minutes with as much ice as I could stand. And to top that off I missed a couple of months right after the injury and now only workout 2/3 times a week.
I had what felt like a bread tie wrapped and twisted tight on my damaged vertibre! Ice will help it heal a whole lot faster and reduce the risk for scare tissue. Be careful listen to your body and follow docs orders. It might be a pain but you will heal faster. I have also turned to prayer and since have made a leap in progress.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2001, 02:30 AM
"I have also turned to prayer"

does anyone else get a belly laugh out of that?

PaleDragon
12-09-2001, 02:31 AM
back injuries are sometimes not a matter of time...i hope you have the luck/blessing of recovering fully...for MA and/or life in general.