PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if its skillful of me to share ?

prana
12-08-2001, 03:49 AM
I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this with the public on the internet, but I gathered that people who don't know me probably would not bother to read such a long passage anyway, so here I share my story.

Background In summary

I have been practising Theravada tradition since I was 14 years of age. This is basically the practise of Shamata and Vipassana and then generating boddhi-citta thought for all living creatures.

In 1999, at the age of 23, I was driving along and I found a monk, in his robes walking at a ferocious speed down one of the roads in Willoughby. I didn't think much of it except, maybe I could help him get to where he wanted to be, though thinking it would be close by.

Anyway, I went about my business, it took abouit 5 minutes and came back towards Willoughby to see if this monk needed a ride to his destination. There he was, he had reached Crows Nest by then, I could not believe it. In terms of walking, he would be the McLaren F1's of paces.

Anyway, I stopped and offered him a lift. I asked him if I could be of any help, which he replied, that he was walking to a place. I said where, to which he said Tibet. He was always chanting, a mantra. I decided that I would take him home and ring the local Vajrayana center.

The phone call, I discovered this Lama was suffering from old age and "dementure". I am unsure what it emasn either but basically, he could not remember his own name sometimes. Though I found it amazing that, through his chanting, his good karma would eventually lead him back to his birthplace. And a freak of nature, I have had this auspicious eevnt of meeting this Lama.

My meditation

From that day onward, for the past 2 years of meditation, things felt unusual. Things became very clear, and years of meditation are now coming to fruition. I have always said, I have a formless guru teaching me, and yet I am not sure how or who he is, he is magical and superior. And everytime, when the time comes, I would pick up a book, any book, and it would automagically lead me to the next 'practise' I was suppose to uptake and research. This I have believed, and well known amongst my friends and colleagues.

About 3 months ago, I felt I came to a plateau, and my karma was beginning to coursen again as my mind became more and more agitated. Realisations that I had, no matter how simple, and now becoming distant glimpses. My meditation became confusing, with too many methods and not being sure of what or how to practise. The meditation, of which I felt I had the highest connection with, required an empowerment of a specific deity, which my karma had been hindrance for so many years.

I began looking for this Lama of which I came across so briefly. I was a month too late, I found the house after a long drive and trying to recognise, and the current occupants told me he had moved on. I was lost, tired and I didn't know which route now to take, spiritually and physically.

I began to pray, looking for teachings and ringing Vajrayana centers. I have just missed out on all the empowerments planned for the year. Still I knew my practise required constant prayers to Buddha Vajrasattva, and so I did. I was also received the blessigns of Medicine Buddha.

Recently, I heard of a Lama, who was to come to Sydney. I took time of work and took a short drive to the mountains. There I met Rinponche, a master in not only the yogas I wish so much to learn and follow, also a master of spiritual healing, somethign I wish to become of one day.

Today, I was very very fortunate, I took one of his courses, the first day of his course, another retreat that would last all weekend and to follow.

The Powa retreat

The teachings were excellent, Rinponche was inspiring and his teachings powerful and filled with Boddhi-citta. His translator was equally amazing, accurately passing on oral instructions, a highly regarded teaching.

Sitting in front of Rinpoche, and his translator, sits a Lama. He seemed playful, full of laughter and adding light & humour to the class. I could see that he was eating some Pistacchio nuts, of which I have made offering to Rinponche on Wednesday. I could not see Lama's face, I didnt recognise him. He seemed as if he has returned to a child, happy state. All I could have asked for, he was happy.

At the end of the day, after nervously asking Rinponche if he would be my teacher, this older Lama began to take his small steps towards the door, I took his arms while he slowly stumbles to the door, into the lift downstairs and out. I held his hand, it was warm on this cold windy day. He was so glad to be walking, he did not wait for the car that was supposed to be arrive to pick him up, he simply kept walking. Although he wasnt going very far, I began to recognise his gestures, his smile, his love for walking. This Lama, was the Lama of whom I have always believed, to be my formless guru for the past 2 years, that had guided me, spiritually transmitted me teachings, revealed secrets to me and finally, led me to Rinponche's class. How amazing it was, to have come across this Lama, of which he given me this very special gift.

I am sad to see Guru unwell, though Rinponche said he would be able to heal Lama illness's. I am sad to see that he has moved into a retirement village, and could not be with his people and family back home in Tibet. But I am very glad that of all the things he could forget, including his name, he remembered his mantras well, and am able to ask The Buddhas, Boddhisattvas and Deities for guidance. I am also glad that he was able to visit Rinponche, and seek healing.

I later found out, Lama was sent by Karmapa, from Tibet. Lama, during his younger years, was also a great teacher of not just one but 2 lineages of Vajrayana tradition. His name, I only caught to be Lama Trijang.

I am not one to believe in miracles, but here I share with you, what I believe to be the only miracle that I have had encountered in this life yet. Even though Lama is unwell, simply having been given the chance to be of service to him, he has led me this far to have seeked the teachings of Powa and come across the Lineage holder of my intended practise, all without having to be there.

I will be spending some time with Lama Trijang from now on, to take him for 'walks' around his house. I hope he recovers from his state of health, and is able to teach again. If ever before you have had doubts about karma, and your prayers, may this story bring you the intention to seek, help and achieve enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings, by beginning with the sincere thought of asking for help, by prayers to the three jewels.

The Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha

prana
12-08-2001, 04:16 AM
just wanted to add, I will have a new name soon :)

jon
12-08-2001, 04:34 AM
I enjoyed that. Ive been having horrible luck lately but i keep trying to do my best so here's hoping my karma comes though before to long:D

Repulsive Monkey
12-08-2001, 06:39 AM
You have been blessed and I am very happy for you. I hope that in your learning fromn your teachings that you gain understanding and give back to others equal understanding and love always.

From one energetic brother, to another.

OM MANI PADME HUM

Stacey
12-08-2001, 07:32 PM
congrats, you've personified your divine inspiration.

As a Taoist, I can simply say, "So what"

shaolinboxer
12-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Meditate, read sutras, seek enlightenment, go crazy and die anyway.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 10:17 PM
To quote the magnificent poetry of Shifu Hank Williams, "I'll never get out of this world alive."

How can you argue with that? Thing is, I don't see why that means we shouldn't try to make our time spent here as rewarding for ourselves and those around us in the meantime.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2001, 10:21 PM
are you going to camp out with that joint all night?

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 10:23 PM
If you mean me, I haven't held a joint between my fingers since august, maybe even july.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2001, 10:25 PM
i meant prana.

congradulations on quitting pot.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 10:27 PM
it's easy when you're waaaay broke and your dealers prices go waaaay up.

Be nice to catch some elevation again every once in a while, tho.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2001, 10:28 PM
. ... at least for a while.

:)

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2001, 10:29 PM
if we ever meet i'll catch you a buzz.

prana
12-09-2001, 04:12 AM
Another auspicious day for me. Lama has accepted me into the Karma Kagyu tradition, and so I have formerly taken refuge as a lineage practitioner of the Karma Kagyu tradition, with the blessings of Guru Rinponche, Buddha Padma Sambhava.

Today, as part of the Powa practise, we received the empowerment of Buddha Amitabha.

With my being accepted to this tradition, I have been given a new name, and it shall be official once I request the blessings of my birth mother. I have also requested Lama for an empowerment of a very wrathful deity for the safe practise of energy control.

Om Mani Pemme Hum

prana
12-09-2001, 04:32 AM
empty post

shaolinboxer
12-09-2001, 09:16 AM
Issuing new names is a common cult induction practice.

12-09-2001, 09:29 AM
Good luck, prana.

Just remember that in the end, what's important is that you find YOURSELF.

Nobody can give you your identity. Only YOU can do that.