PDA

View Full Version : Using your surroundings!

Former castleva
12-08-2001, 09:24 AM
What about it? Have you ever thought about it?
I know that russian art of sambo uses techniques like putting your coat on opponents head (and then attacking him!) very interesting! I think you could also use it to wrap it around the knives of attackers.
How about using your own shoes,chairs or anything to grab and use?

Jeff Liboiron
12-08-2001, 02:03 PM
i have been experimenting using my jacket and belt

JerryLove
12-10-2001, 02:30 PM
It should be a constant focus. A less proficient fighter with a weapon is typically more dangerous than a more proficient fighter without. And most street fights seem to be decided early by whomever get the "edge".

umgong
12-13-2001, 04:50 AM
I agree with what Jerry said.

Keep in mind, that when TSHTF that anything is fair game and also allow for Mr. Murphy.

For example, in my reckless days, I used to hang out in bars after work and get in fights. I had a habit of pushing a bar stool with my foot to make sure that I could easily move it or if it was too heavy and slow to use in a fight should TSHTF.

One night, I didn't do the foot check and a fight broke out with me as one of the principle combatants. I grabbed the bar stool to use it as a weapon...darned near got a hernia trying to rip the stool off the floor where it was bolted down. Had to hobble out of that fight....had a killer back pain for weeks.

Don't forget the two most obvious weapons that you can use in a fight.....See if you guys know what they are? They are harder than any hit you can devise.

Apprentice
12-13-2001, 03:27 PM
teeth and knees?

Dan_uk
12-13-2001, 05:19 PM
I sometimes have a look in a large book shop in town and check out the rather large MA section to see what crap is being produced. To be fair, there are a lot of really bad books being written.

But one particularly amusing peice of self defense advice was in a book titled, "The SAS guide to real self defense".

It was predominantly aimed at women but said that if a female was attacked at home she could defend herself with clingfilm!!

It had a picture of a man wrapped up in clingfilm with a victorious woman standing over him. Quite amusing and quite kinky when you think about it! So I bought it and took it home in a brown paper bag. ha ha

No I didn't really, i just had a good laugh and then without hesitation put it back on the shelf.

I saw an article giving self defense techniques with a mobile phone which was interesting. Obviously if it has an ariel then great but if it's one of these tiny fold up mobiles that could get lost down the back of the sofa, then they might not be as effective.

umgong
12-14-2001, 05:57 PM
It's the ground and the wall...you move opponent into solid and unforgiving as either element and you can get a good concussion (think of it as a second hit...but they hit the deck or wall hard enough....sometimes instant knockout.)

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 08:39 AM
.....I saw a clean ippon-seio-inage (shoulder throw) the other day in a streetfight. I have no idea how the guy managed to pull it off in the situation he was in, but the other guy who was much bigger, about 220 pounds, did not get up. He must have broken something BAD, because he did not move, and this guy had been real fired up.

straight blast
12-16-2001, 04:37 AM
I just watch lots of old Jackie Chan movies. Seriously, when that guy walks into any room it's like he sees an armory, instead of ladders, books, fridges, etc. If you're looking for useable surroundings watch him. Among the immensely funny fight scenes there are a few practical gems. See the "Project A" bar fight.

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 10:44 AM
I do have a belt with a RAZOR sharp buckle on it. I don't always wear it (its brown), but when I do I'm always aware I've got it on, just incase. That thing'd take out an eye, a nose and an ear in one go! Sheesh!

Leech
12-29-2001, 07:17 AM
Here´s a simple one=If you are a big guy,grab the guy and lift him up in some manner and just smash him to a wall as hard as you can:mad:

Tigerdragon
01-11-2002, 02:53 PM
I will agree that the floor/gound is an obvious and always available weapon. However I dissagree with the wall being the other. A wall might not always be close enough to use it quickly and effectivly.

As for me, I look for things like, rocks, loose dirt/gravel, chairs tables, and anything else that can be moved, thrown, or swung eaisily. I can't pull my belt out fast enough for me to count on it as a weapon.

And just to throw in another thought of my own, the absolutle most obvious weapon is none other then your own mind! It is your mind that can keep you out of a bad situation, and when it can't, it is your mind that holds all the knowledge of your training!

Just my thoughts

triskellin
01-14-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Dan_uk
It was predominantly aimed at women but said that if a female was attacked at home she could defend herself with clingfilm!!

It had a picture of a man wrapped up in clingfilm with a victorious woman standing over him.

hey well if you use the really strong clingfilm, u might be able to do some serious damage! imagine if your spouse tried to attack you at home, all you'd have to do is pick up the gladwrap and slash him with the cutter on the box! or you could hold out a stretch of film and suffocate him with it. :D

i was told to be aware of your surroundings and use it to your advantage. *any* weapon, no matter how odd it may seem, is better than no weapon at all in a life and death situation. also had a sihing who carried a pen with him where ever he went, ready to stab someone with it if need be! :eek:

Kristoffer
02-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Jackie Chan rules : )

Xebsball
02-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Have you heard of Master Yang Sze from Evil Style Tai Chi?
He used Martial Feng Shui on a bjj guy named Gichoke.

tnwingtsun
02-07-2002, 02:49 PM
See Sun Tzu's book "Art of War"

Use of terrain