PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Majic Sam

Jeff Liboiron
12-08-2001, 11:58 AM
Hey Steve, i got a few questions about your dummy pic you sent me

did you use a lathe (spelling?) on the arms? i'm assusming you buy the arms round, and then square them off for the holes in the body, how do you do this?

is the pvc tough? my dummy is starting to split in the body, and it is made of wood, but i'm not sure what type. I was just wondering if the pvc would crack.

Can you hammer on it? is it sturdy?

Do you custom make the dummy for the height of the person? i'm 5'11

If you were to make one for me, could you make the leg removable? i'm asking becasue sometimes the leg gets in the way of my prosthesis.

That's all i can think of right now, thanks alot Steve :)

Majic Sam
12-08-2001, 02:45 PM
Hey Jeff,

I made the arms square on a table saw and shaped w/ an orbital sander.

1/4 " pvc is very strong.If it does crack,good epoxy should help. Does anyone have stories of 1/4" cracking?I'd like to hear about it.

The top and bottoms of the square arm holes meet at 5/8 ths of an inch.Any less than that and I would be skeptical.

You can adjust height by moving the cross slats up or down on the uprights.56-60" is usually enough for taller folk as a rule.

I don't have access to a lathe right now but I do know one of the top woodturners in town.The guy is amazing!And yes,the leg is removable.Hope that helps.

Jeff Liboiron
12-08-2001, 07:54 PM
Cool, thanks alot Steve :)

Mokujin
12-09-2001, 12:45 AM
Jeff-

Home Depot (in my part of the country, anyway) sells square rectangular blocks which are 2 feet long. The ends are 2" X 2" square.

You can use a jig saw on the shank and an orbital sander to smooth and taper the arms.

I've also been hunting for used wood furniture at thrift stores and flea markets. Some old chairs and tables have the perfect dimensions for traditional dummy arms.

Magic-

Any tips / suggestions for the following:

1- Straight/ precise measurements from irregular PVC pipe ends.
2- Keeping holes even on each side so arms/ leg/ support slats are parallel to the ground when mounted.

Thanks for your time.

Peace!
:D
Mokujin

Majic Sam
12-09-2001, 04:06 AM
A big old steel square and rasp sure help.Lot's of eyeballing and keep rechecking measures.Both sides have to be identical,of course.

"The plain and simple truth is never simple and seldom true."