PDA

View Full Version : JKD Question

Justa Man
12-08-2001, 02:39 PM
I've recently read that JKD is a collection of techniques from other martial arts that are efficient and effective. Basically taking what works from other arts.
My question is; are the techniques the same for everyone? Meaning, is there a set curriculum of techniques that everyone learns or is the curriculum tailored to each individual?
Let's face it, a technique that a 6'3", 250lb, bouncer, male student of JKD finds efficient and effectice may not be a technique that a 5'4", 100lb, frail woman finds effective, and vice-versa. Do they have to learn the techniques that don't work from them or is there a 'menu' of sorts to choose from?

Bessho
12-08-2001, 11:19 PM
hopefully a jkd person will give a good answer instead of tap-dancing. for an art that claims to be formless... how are techniques preserved and passed on? so far every jkd person always mentions bs like "be like water" while they hold their finger pointing to the moon.

rogue
12-09-2001, 08:53 AM
Check out the JKD thread on the main KFO forum. Lamar Davis gives his discription of JKD which may not sit well with the modern JKD crowd.

curtis
12-10-2001, 05:00 PM
The perpose of Bruces artS, were to help him become a master,
It is true that parts of his training were from other systems,but Bruce Lee had a way of breaking down All technique into its simplest elements,and then rebuilding them,makeing them better in most cases.His attage was use what works! and he didnt care where he got his infomation,as long as it worked.

To use what works and throw out the rest,is a good adage,BUT most people dont understand, in order to throw out something,you should first know its value. so you have to learn the basics before you can just do your own thing.

In my understanding a man of 250lbs and a woman of 125lbs both should learn and be able to use the same technique's,but my point is if a young woman of lets say 90lbs cant do the technique it should be thrown out. THE PERPOSE OF TECHNIQUE should be natural, and effert is not needed,SO I find that man of 250lbs can have a harder time learning,just beacuse he trys to make the technique work.
Now in the advanced, each person will have there own likes and dislikes so that you can choose ,building your own stile that fits your own personalty.
wonce the foundation is set. you can build in any direction you want.
C.A..G.

RAYNYSC
12-10-2001, 05:18 PM
So what do you think about what he had to say Rogue?....

A fighter will block where a master will attack

To know it is to comprehend it. To apply it is to use it. To master it is to experience it. From here on, there is no end. You can achieve yet higher levels.