PDA

View Full Version : uniforms?

Yung Apprentice
12-08-2001, 06:30 PM
I've noticed that many schools,and from videos and pictures that many Kung Fu practictioners wear uniforms similar to that of Karate,or Tae Kwon Do. I thought Kung Fu had different uniforms and instead of belts they used sashes?

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 06:39 PM
You know Bumblebee Man from the Simpsons? With the yellow-and-black striped outfit padded like a fat suit, and with headgear featuring deely-bopper antennae?

That's the traditional kungfu uniform, which is why so many schools use gis instead.

Actually, I just think a lot of folks expect a dude who does martial arts to wear a gi; silk pjs would confuse them, so teachers wear gis and black belts.

My taiji shifu just runs class in whatever he happened to throw on that morning, it seems. Cargo pants, a t-shirt, and a stocking cap (for warmth) is not uncommon. He wears the silk PJs in his promotional materials, though, or silk PJ bottoms and a school tshirt.

Yung Apprentice
12-08-2001, 06:48 PM
hhmmmm.I like that idea of what your sifu throws on he trains in. I would rather wear jogging pants and a shirt than wear a gi.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 07:00 PM
Now that I think of it a little more, I don't think I've ever seen him in real silk. The stuff he wears is cut like the silk pjs, but is made of cotton or something else less expensive and easier to wash. But, the idea is there.

On a related subject, I do my forms for the most part on break from work or between university classes, so I don't change for my training either; it's just what I've got on.

I haven't been in to kf class in a while, but I wear the gussetted, elastic waist-&-cuff pants he sold me when I enrolled and either a school t-shirt or some other tee I don't mind sweating up when I do.

Paul
12-08-2001, 07:03 PM
uniforms are highly overrated. It's all about sweats and a t-shirt.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 07:04 PM
For training, yeah, but there's times when you want to dress to impress.

Yung Apprentice
12-08-2001, 07:05 PM
I agree

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2001, 07:10 PM
Then there's judo. You definitely DON'T want to wear just anything to judo practice. A t-shirt wont survive it.

NorthernMantis
12-08-2001, 08:31 PM
Kung fu uniforms are not actual uniforms!they're just clothes that were used back in the day.I repeated this on another thread.

in ancient days people practiced in their regular clotes.I asked my sfu about uniforms and that was the reply.Here's part of the conversation ,when I used to be in kids class and was very misinformed, that might answer some questions.

me:Then are these the the clothes they wore? (black thin pants and black t- shirt with logo and sash)

sifu:*laughs* No, this is just our workout clothes.The real ones are the ones they wear in some tournaments.

me:Why do they only wear it in some tournaments?

sifu:It's a formal tournament.

me:Are there specific clothes for certain styles?'cause I've seen different ones.

sifu:*laughs again* No,do people wear certain clothe's today?It's just clothes.They came in different colors.It doesn't matter.

me:The sashes too?

sifu:Yes

me:Puzzled look

sifu:Noticing what I was thinking says-- remember there a no sash rankings in kung fu or everyone would have been in kung fu *laughs in between*

There you go folks.I was a misinformed but very meek child.That was about 4 years ago sigh.

EARTH DRAGON
12-08-2001, 09:52 PM
there also is no such thing like colored belts or sashes.
In japan the belt is used to hold the gi together it is white like the uniform. When you tie and untie it many times it becomes dirty and since its made of cotton it cannot be washed so the more you train the darker it gets.

As for kung fu sashes they were made of silk the #1 material in china and wraped tightly around the dan tien and kidneys to promote good posture and tighten yin kidney chi.

Paul
12-08-2001, 09:58 PM
I wash things made of cotton all the time.

Mokujin
12-09-2001, 01:42 AM
Well, my instructor pretty much said, "How often do you get into a fight wearing your pajamas?"

Train to fight- this includes training in your everyday attire. In my old Kenpo class we wore the gis- but I wasn't complaining- there were quite a few busty chicks in attendance! ;)

How much sense does it make to wear the uniform just because they "were used back in the day."?

At this rate, in 10 years we'll all be fighting each other wearing our disco tights and bell bottoms!

Peace!
:D

PaleDragon
12-09-2001, 02:27 AM
why are kung fu students wearing japanese "gi"? i agree with the uniforms just being traditional clothing( sashes were often worn as pockets...with your belongings wrapped up in them and tied around) but still...uniform or not...why wear a japanese uniform???? sure they're neat, but learn a japanese art if you really wanna wear one.

logic
12-09-2001, 06:35 AM
There are Kung Fu uniforms that are made of cotton.
The ones made of silk never last that long.

xiong
12-09-2001, 06:55 AM
I think the reason for people wearing gi's is two fold. One, people do seem to associate martial arts in general with JMA so the Gi is somthenig familiar to them. Second, I don't know if you've tried to purchase one lately but Gi's are dirt cheap in comparison to even cotton KF uniforms.
I buy the "regular clothing" story but I think that a uniform is an important part of training in the martial arts. It develops an esprit de corp and I think makes outsiders feel that your school is more serious. Is CMA less serious than JMA? Hardly but I think that people training in T-shirts does not convey the same message as a uniform.
Lastly on the silk vs. cotton issue. I could be way off base here but I think that silk uniforms were popularized by modern day competition, I doubt that Joe Blow wore silk daily. I also have a personal bias against silk because it does look like pyjamas and I think that part of the reason why people dis Wushu is because of the silk.
Basically you should train in what you feel comfortable in and have something comfortable but more formal for tournaments.

Mokujin
12-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by xiong
I buy the "regular clothing" story but I think that a uniform is an important part of training in the martial arts. It develops an esprit de corp and I think makes outsiders feel that your school is more serious....Basically you should train in what you feel Comfortable in and have something comfortable but more formal for tournaments.

Xiong-

I understand your point of view, but I have to made an addition to your comment above. I don't care what outsiders think of my school. If they don't take the time/ effort to see what we're learning, then it's thier loss. Their poor judgement isn't my problem.

Besides, ANY McDojoKwoon (sp?) can force their students to wear uniforms- it doesn't make the instructction / quality of teaching any better.

But, definitely train in you feel comfortable with.

My wife has a different take- she thinks wearing the uniform is spiritual. She's cool like that.

Peace!
:D
Mokujin

rogue
12-10-2001, 08:29 PM
I like my gi pants, they're tough, comfortable and fairly inexpensive ($40). And they're closer to what I normally wear on the street, which are lose (not baggy) slacks and relaxed fit jeans.

Qi dup
12-10-2001, 10:03 PM
I like to wear a unifrom when I practice a form in the morning because no one is around to laugh at me and it makes that 'woosh woosh' noise I really like for some reason. Hello to everyone this is my second post.

xiong
12-11-2001, 06:45 AM
Mokujin,

I hear that. A uniform does not make up for lack of skill and you are right that the uninitiated might not get it. I just feel that too many people are impressed by that aspect of Karate and Tae Kwan Do, and I think that CMA is at the very least the equal of that but sometimes gets lost in the first impression.

Also I was getting at the psycology of the uniform. I spent alot of time rebelling against convention and doing my own thing, realizing that I was just making myself have to work harder to gain acceptance. I think a more formal uniform transforms kids and makes them more serious, it's not recess, it's training.

In my last job we had a uniform and althogh it was just jeans and a polo shirt the program was to keep a tidy uniform to a standard to make a ggod first impression on the clients. Sometimes a first impression is all you get.

I'm not trying to sell uniforms or anything, and I respect schools that don't use them, I'm just saying that I think CMA deserves as much respect as any of these others and like it or not this is what the "public" has been conditioned for.

Budokan
12-11-2001, 07:00 AM
I think a lot of people get caught up and make the mistake of equating the uniform with the art and vice versa. Jimmy Streetmugger isn't going to give a flip if you do/don't practice in your uniform. The only thing that will impress him is your technique. That's what you should concentrate on. When viewed in that light what you wear when you practice is of diminishing importance.

xiong
12-11-2001, 08:36 AM
Budokan is also correct. What you wear has nothing to do with the quality of practice or technique.

I would also like to say that if everyone in class wears a school logo T-shirt and Kung Fu pants I would condider that a uniform of sorts.

This also has to be taken in context. People who are taking classes or teaching in a Parks & Recreation or club format are probably looking at a cost issue. They may baulk at purchasing a uniform that costs more than a month of tuition.

A flashy uniform can never make up for poor technique or lack of conditioning.

Mutant
12-11-2001, 09:48 AM
I hate wearing a Gi, they are lame. They have their place in grappling, but i don;t think theyre nessesary for that. Even a regular Gi will get torn up in grappleing, you need a heavy duty Judo/Juj. gi to survive that. And those are hot and heavy for training other stuff and people tend to focus on grappling with the gi and choking out with the gi lapels and grabbing by the belt. A uniform or gi has nothing to do with quality training, theyre just glorified girl scout uniforms (hey, not that theres anything wrong with girlscouts, they make some of the best cookies!), especially the schools that wear all the tacky patches, buttons, stripes, etc.
If a SiFu chooses to have a standard 'uniform' though, i think a school t-shirt (cheap and abundant so you can tear 'um up) will suffice. You can go through a lot of t-shirts before you equal the cost of a high quality gi. And an assailant in the real world isnt going to be wearing a gi anyway, why train to primarily against that type of outfit?
Silk pajamas make good lingerie, but are silly to train in. They can look sharp in a flashy competition form though, the silk matches the shiney crome-foil weapons. :rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
12-11-2001, 09:55 AM
I think the judogi/short sleeve shuai chiao jacket/whatever similar article of clothing are a very important part of any grappling intensive training. If you intend to go with the sporting application, the uniform is part of the sport; you've got to know how to deal with it. If you're doing grappling from a self defense perspective, using an attackers clothing against him is vital to know. I agree you shouldn't concentrate too much on gi/jacket dependent techs, but most of those techs translate into a 'skins game' type situation pretty easily anyway in my (quite limited) experience.

Shaolindynasty
12-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Now that I stated the obvious..........Uniforms are great. First they make people students included, feel like they are doing somthing important. They also make people feel like part of the group. Personally when I put on my uniform I know it's time for business and I just feel completely into my training. On the other side I train in sweats outside of class and can get down to business. Our class uniform is Black Kf pants and a class t shirt people can choose to wear a KF jacket but that is optional. If you are rebelling against the uniform ask yourself what is the point?

Personally I think GI's are fine, even for KF training. I think some people judge whether a school is legit based on the GI though. That's sad cause they are way more cost effective than any of the KF uniforms out there.

rubthebuddha
12-11-2001, 10:50 AM
agreed on the cost issue. could it just be japanese frugality shining through again? :)

on a serious note, i like what my kwoon does. we have general school kung fu uniforms (black kung fu pants and a white school t-shirt). for students who have been there for a while, they are invited to join the international wing tsun association, and we have specific uniforms for those students (same style and colors, just higher quality with organizational logos). when a student has progressed far enough within the ranks, has gone through a couple instruction courses and has tested with the IWTA, they are given their assistant instructors license and then wear a black shirt. beyond that, there are different uniforms, but most wear a t-shirt that designates their logo and the typical, stout organizational pants.

i like this idea, because it makes it easy to pick out senior students, and it makes it even easier to pick out instructors. personally, i don't like the idea of belts in chinese systems. it's one tradition i like to keep. i also think it'd be a little disrespectful to japanese masters who made their own arts distinct to simply take part of their tradition from them.

EARTH DRAGON
12-11-2001, 11:32 AM
Uniforms do serve a purpose. For example hakima pants hide the foot work in aikido, also judo Gi's have woven front to grab on to as many hear have said.

But also the word "uniform" means one, together, alike, so with that anyone that is part of a group or school needs to look like their fellow kung fu brothers.

When I teach it is nice to see all my students look the same and when one person forgets their uniform they have told me they dont feel like part of the group. Strange you say, but fitting in plays a part in phsycological feeling of belonging. and being a member of something you should take pride in , why else to lodge members wear those funny hats?

Chang Style Novice
12-11-2001, 11:37 AM
"why else do lodge members wear those funny hats?"

To conceal their throwing knives! Haven't you ever heard of the Masonic Lodge of Elk Ninjas?

I've already revealed too much! Soon Ashida Kim's minions will drive their tiny parade cars to my house and....

(throat cutting gesture)

norther practitioner
12-11-2001, 11:38 AM
You guys are starting to drift from what the issue is. I think if you are going to study Chinese Martial Arts and wear a uniform, it should be a Chinese Martial Arts uniform. I moved to Denver a year and a half ago, when I was looking for a new school, I went to one (which has been brought up a few times) that said that they were very "traditional." However, when their students walked in the school with gis on I was a bit confused, I watched some do a few forms, that looked sort of like most Shaolin that I have seen but a bit choppy, so I just politely excused myself, left, and never went back, (plus, I heard it was easy to a black belt there, just have to learn the forms, not really know them). As far as sashes and rankings are conserned, I think when the circumstances are right it may be good to implement a sash system. If you have a big school or one that is expanding, then it may be good to show seniority, skill level, etc. This would come in handy when people either new to the school or new to ma in general had a question and the sifu is busy, not there, whatever. I also think if you are going to use a ranking system in cma then it should be sashes, as they are seen as more "traditional" than as would a belt. Don't get me wrong, gis are cool and all, but if you want to rock a uni, rock it right.:cool:

PaleDragon
12-11-2001, 11:42 AM
school t shirt - $20
Black kung fu pants - $30
socks - ...not very much
shoes - already had them

not wearing filthy ninja gi - priceless

Shaolindynasty
12-11-2001, 01:09 PM
Norther practitioner you contradict yourself. First you say you should wear a CMA uniform if you are in CMA but then you say color rankings are good. Color rankings are japanese in origin. You based your judgement of that school on thier movement right? So what does them wearing GI's have to do with anything? If they wear GI's but their Kungfu was good would you have still left the school? I bet so, those of us who have been in CMA for a while tend to be judgementive of other practitioners especially if they have some elements in their school that aren't chinese. Alot of the time we judge people on superficial matters like what kind of uniform they have on. Personally I like to keep the Chinese style uniforms cause I like to distance our school from karate since in our town most people don't know the difference but I don't pass judgement on other schools based on what they wear.

Paul
12-11-2001, 01:15 PM
The training should speak for itself. who cares about wearing pretty uniforms? Do y'all really think it is that important?