PDA

View Full Version : Things you should never do in a fight

Former castleva
12-09-2001, 07:18 AM
What do you think?
Here is something from me.
1.You should not let them get close to you,if aren´t having a defense stance.
2.Don´t wait for their shots,if you aren´t having a safety position.

Ginger Fist
12-10-2001, 02:07 PM
u don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong.

apoweyn
12-10-2001, 02:22 PM
though it pains me to say, ginger fist's advice sounds right to me.

stuart b.

JerryLove
12-10-2001, 02:29 PM
I don't know to what extent you can really apologize later. Firstly you have (at minimum) just committed battery (assault in many states). In the even that you chose a weapon (weather improvised or carried) you are somewhere between felony battery (agrivated battery/assault) and murder / attempted murder (depending on how it turns out).

OTOH, I do agree with the general sentiment, if you are about to be fighting, fight. Don't wiat.

apoweyn
12-10-2001, 02:49 PM
well, yeah. no voice of experience here. but i'd guess that once you've committed to that course of action, that's no time to then get all half-arsed about it.

Ginger Fist
12-10-2001, 05:10 PM
I don't know to what extent you can really apologize later. Firstly you have (at minimum) just committed battery (assault in many states). In the even that you chose a weapon (weather improvised or carried) you are somewhere between felony battery (agrivated battery/assault) and murder / attempted murder (depending on how it turns out).

--point taken the apology bit was tongue in cheek ... better to b judged by 9 than carried by 6 (think that's how it goes)

OTOH, I do agree with the general sentiment, if you are about to be fighting, fight. Don't wait.

--kill the ramp up ... take 'em out be4 the guy switches mentally

Ginger Fist
12-10-2001, 05:13 PM
though it pains me to say, ginger fist's advice sounds right to me.

--dude!! that must've been on par with having dull knitting needles shoved in ur eyes!!

apoweyn
12-11-2001, 07:37 AM
hey mate, when you're reasonable with me, it's no worse than sticking brand new cotton swabs in my eyes.

[grin]

Ginger Fist
12-11-2001, 02:01 PM
hey mate, when you're reasonable with me, it's no worse than sticking brand new cotton swabs in my eyes.

--ok ... so long as they're not 1st dipped in iodine

apoweyn
12-12-2001, 01:11 PM
you know, these conversations are a whole lot more enjoyable and productive when you're not calling everyone names for disagreeing with you.

i might even start [thunder clap] looking forward to them.

stuart b.

straight blast
12-12-2001, 06:44 PM
Tae Kwon Do!!!

Pretend to beg for mercy while really planning to smash the opponent in the nose...if they get to you first and beat you you look like a snivelling wussbag.

And of course, the number one thing you should never do in a fight...
LOSE

I'm not a believer in holding back :D

TheGhostDog
12-12-2001, 10:00 PM
1. Never let the guy get too close. This may sound obvious, but I've seen a lot of people get headbutted or kneed in the groin because they let the person get too close.
Here's something I used to use when working as a bouncer, which I realized after I finished doorwork that Geoff Thompson also uses and calls "The Fence" :
Keep the person at around arms-length. You can do this by having your hands up, palms facing outwards in a non-threatening manner. If the guy tries to move closer you can block his shoulder. If he tries to strike you've already got your hands up to cover or block, and if you wish to strike you've got your perfect set-up. My preferred option was to spin the guy around and apply a sleeper choke.

2. Never back down. This might sound crazy, but it works. If you back down, some people (especially predator-types) will take advantage of that.
Most people really don't want to get into fights, even if they're acting like a tough-guy. I learned this also from working as a bouncer. Bouncing is 90% bluff. I’ve been in a possible multiple attack situation, but because I was sooo keen to fight against these four guys, they thought something wasn’t right, and so one of them tried to placate me and a fight was avoided. Always give the guy a way out, but don’t look like you’re trying to avoid the fight.

3. Don’t underestimate your opponent. This means many things, such as never let the guy get the first punch in (you don’t know – he could be a boxing champ with a punch like a mule kick). Always assume he is (i) a trained fighter, (ii) has friends coming and (iii) might have a weapon. So, assuming these things, hit hard, hit first and keep hitting until he is finished.

PaleDragon
12-13-2001, 12:20 AM
if you have your hands facing out...it would be easy to apply joint locks to your wrist...maybe im just visualizing what you mean incorrectly.

PaleDragon
12-13-2001, 12:23 AM
something else you shouldn't do in a fight is stop to chat with onlookers...even if it is about the fight.

Drone
12-13-2001, 02:19 AM
I just thought I would share this, because I actually saw this happen earlier today....

I was walking to class today in the rain and saw two guys arguing. As one began to walk away the other came up behind him to rush him. However before he could throw his first punch he slipped and fell, the other guy then soundly stomped his face in. Moral of the story know your limits, know your surroundings... and try not to fall.

umgong
12-13-2001, 04:23 AM
This cannot be repeated enough times:

Wear appropriate clothes and shoes at all times.

Do not wear clothes, especially pants, that are too binding. At the least , it's embarrassing when you tear your pants. At the worse, it ends you on your butt....deadly.

Do not wear shoes that are too heavy, especially if you have not practiced kicking with shoes before (really slows your kick) Try not to wear shoes that are too slick on the bottoms....tends to end you on your butt, should your kick miss.

TheGhostDog
12-13-2001, 04:45 PM
PaleDragon wrote:
"if you have your hands facing out...it would be easy to apply joint locks to your wrist...maybe im just visualizing what you mean incorrectly."

If you're in a confrontation, then the basic hand position should be hands up, palms facing your opponent in a relaxed stance, as this is a non-threatening posture. This will allow you to block or parry any attacks, or attack without telegraphing.
As for the wrist locks - pfft! What streetfighter is going to apply a wristlock ?
Besides, if someone wants to grab my wrist in a streetfight then fine, but they better expect me to be punching them in the head at the same time with my other hand. Wrists locks would have to be the most over-rated technique in martial arts. Even if you could apply a wrist-lock, then what ? The guy probably won't even know what you're doing, so it's not as if he is going to calm down or tap. Maybe break his wrist if he keeps struggling ? Have you ever tried that ? I've busted guys arms with armbars, but a wrist is very hard to break, and it's hardly going to stop the fight.

Dan_uk
12-13-2001, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry but this is meant as a constructive critisism when I say that it's rather unlikely that in a street fight you are going to be wristlocked.

In a street fight locks are not going to be pulled off straight away.

Ok maybe after an initial primary strike to get a reaction and then control and restraint if thats what you want to do while the opponent is weakened and if you are able to pull it off.

Personally if someone tried to grab hold of my wrist and apply a lock, even though when studying various systems and learning ways to counter these locks, I think sticking a finger in the eye of the opponent will get a desired effect.

PaleDragon
12-13-2001, 11:39 PM
of trying joint locks on a fresh opponent are apparent...however you said that if they walk toward you you're hands are already up to shove them back(or something to that effect) if you're allowing that contact a broken wrist would be possible...sure maybe it wouldnt end the fight...but leaves you with one less weapon/block...you're right about this being rare when dealing with a streetfighter but i think there are many things you train for/take into consideration that will most likely never occur.

PaleDragon
12-13-2001, 11:48 PM
wrist locks i learn usually keep the free arm out of range or roll into a another lock...im not really disagreeing with your ideal "guard" i was just wondering what you thought of that possibility. I guess also its important to stay non-threatening because its before an actual altercation starts...would you keep this guard after attacks have already been exchanged?

Former castleva
12-14-2001, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the replies!
About wristlocks:
Locks,like wristlocks are excellent for controlling your opponent,if there is more than one opponent,you should do the lock to the end(break a joint).A good lock controls the whole body of the opponent,he has no change to strike back,his position is very weak.
Wrist is hard to break? Wrist is one of the most weakest parts of a human structure.

Mr Nunchaku
12-15-2001, 06:36 PM
What in the world is wrong with using TKD?

What I think is best in a real fight. I think you should only do the most simple and basic techniques. Nothing fancy, make sure that everything you do works because there can be no mistakes. I (being in TKD myself) would stick with the basic blocks, punches and kicks. A good and simple palm heel and knife hand is what I would use the most (both for blocking and attacking). Basic front snap kick would be all that I recomend. However, if you are a master or someone who is really skilled in TKD, you could end the fight with a side kick if you are willing to risk it. I'd still stick with basic strikes, perhaps elbow and knee strikes which are extrememly powerful (obviously why they are not used in sparring).

The important thing is aiming at his pressure points, but not actually permanately injure him or kill him. Some may not agree, but this is my philosophy.

straight blast
12-16-2001, 04:33 AM
The only exposure to Tae Kwon Do I've had is to the Rhee TKD, Universal Self Defence Academy, ITF, WTF, and Success Martial Arts. Of those two USDA & Success claim not to be TKD, but they're exactly the same. I did quite a few years of TKD (between all those groups I'd have had to) and I have to admit that I remain unimpressed. I'm sure that there are plenty of Mr Miyagi type TKD teachers out there that teach you the good s**t, just unfortunately none of them seem to be readily apparent. Have you ever tried your TKD against another MA? Muay Thai? I recommend it.
I'm not slandering you or your style, but please understand that I have not seen any good TKD here in Australia. So to answer the original question, why not to do TKD? Because I'm in Australia, so the fight in question is in Australia, Australian TKD sucks, and you'd do better to try & find something else for fighting in Aust.
Is that better?

Dan_uk
12-16-2001, 10:13 AM
I have heard of good TKD guys and have discussed with people about the effectiveness of the system. I have spoken to people who have witnessed competition TKD guys use some of their fancy stuff in the street quite effectively so I guess its down to whatever you train. If you can do a fancy kick to the opponents head as easily as you scratch your arse when you've got an itch then I suppose it can come out in a fight if the opportunity presents itself.

Bare in mind that the opponents were probably drunk anyway!!

Interesting comment about TKD taking on Muay Thai. I train with a couple of ex TKD guys in my Thai Boxing class who both say that the thai boxing we do totally blows the TKD they have done away.

Personally I wouldn't do any fancy stuff and the idea of pressure points, well, on a moving target you've got to be pretty s**t hot to be able to strike a precise pressure point. But again if you can succesfully pull that off, fair play!

The points that I feel are more effective are the eyes, throat, solar plexus and groin. They are a bit more easier to find than gall bladder 7 or whatever the points are!!!

Why mess around trying to find a small point when you could just hit them anyway?

Mr Nunchaku
12-16-2001, 02:11 PM
Why does everybody think we are all about fancey kicks? That would be the last thing I would want to do in a real fight because they are so risky. When you get points in a tournament for them that is one thing, but we are talking real life where you could get hurt or killed.

Anyway, I'm glad when you have an intelligent opinion on TKD. Though obviously insulting it by saying not to do it in a fight you don't seem to mind.

When I say pressure points, that is really all I mean. Neck, sternum, eyes, groin.

TKD vs. Muay Thai. Here is the problem with that. Muay Thai training is awesome. they condition themselves like their shins for instance to become devastating weapons. As for techniques, TKD offers much more in the way of techniques and blocking and evading, but the training is not nearly as hard and therefore not as beneficial. So it is the training, not the art in my opinion.

Anway, I have sparred other martial arts including Chinese martial arts and I hold my own just fine. I have never fought Muay Thai but my instructor has in the ring and hasn't lost yet. However, that doesn't say a single thing about MT vs TKD, but niether does a bunch of guys simply saying that MT is better.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic when this is about street fighting and not a discussion about TKD.

TheGhostDog
12-17-2001, 05:53 PM
PaleDragon wrote: "however you said that if they walk toward you you're hands are already up to shove them back(or something to that effect) if you're allowing that contact a broken wrist would be possible"

First off, you don't shove the guy back from the guarded position I wrote about. You stop the guy advancing into you by blocking his shoulder or chest. This is not aggressive and leaves your other hand free to strike him, or allows you to spin the guy around and get his back (my favourite).
The likelihood of someone trying a wristlock on me in a streetfight is so miniscule that it's not even something I would bother considering. The most common attacks that I have seen in 6.5 years if working as a bouncer are an overhand right, headbutt and maybe windmill punching.
The likelihood that a wrist lock would succeed from this position is also miniscule, as it is a telegraphed move, and also leaves my other hand free to strike, or me to headbutt him while he is focused on my hand. I've tried wristlocks whilst working as a bouncer and they just don't work well - they're a low percentage move. If the guy was sweaty and slippery then it's too hard to get a good grip in the middle of a scuffle. If he is drunk or high and doesn't feel pain, then he is not going to feel what you are doing anyway. Much easier to spin the guy off to the side, get your arm around his neck and either control him this way or choke him.

Regarding a guard during the exchange of blows: hands-up in a boxing guard, elbows in, protecting the jaw is probably the smartest guard, since most people in the street are headhunting with big punches.

TheGhostDog
12-17-2001, 05:55 PM
Former castleva wrote: "Wrist is hard to break? Wrist is one of the most weakest parts of a human structure. "
Have you ever broken a wrist ? Ever done it in a fight ? Ever applied the lock and then tried to break the wrist ? My instructor has tried to do all of these things. He said it was cracking and grinding, but it didn't stop the guy from fighting. Maybe the guy would feel it later, but it's NOT a fight ender.
What happens if you can't break his wrist, what are you going to do ? Let him go ?
Wrist locks are a low-percentage move, in terms of both controlling your opponent in the middle of a fight, and in stopping the fight.

jon
12-18-2001, 01:37 AM
Strait blast...
I live in Sydney Australia and used to live in Newcastle. I now learn Hung Ga but before i moved to Sydney i was a long time student of Tae Kwon Do and in particular Rhee Tae Kwon Do.
For a start Rhee Tae Kwon Do is an off shoot of regular TKD and lives in its own little world and does many things i never agreed with. That said i had the oppotunity to actualy meet Grandmaster Chung Chul Rhee himself and see his skills first hand.
Let me tell you, if he hit you he would kill you. That may sound grand but its very true... He is simply REALLY powerfull. This is true for most higher level TKD people if they hit you, you wont get up.
In Hung Ga we hit hard, were known for it but i still have to say TKD have some of the most powerfull movements of any martial art bar none.
The main problem with TKD is its so wide spread that there are many poor instructors. This was also the case in RTKD. There were instructors who had only been in the art for 3 years, thats simply wrong...
I have been in my new art for 5 years and am nowhere near instructor grade.
Lesson here is anyone who trains a real martial art [and tkd is real like it or not] for a long enough period of time will get very good. Its just a shame there are so many poor tkd instructors around to ruin the reputation of the art.
P.S
Mr Nunchaku
Ive read a few of your posts lately and have to say... Good on you for sticking to your guns and surporting your art:D
If everyone here had the same dedication and patience to explain there respective art, this board would be a MUCH better place.
For the record, I still train many of my old TKD kicks...

Mr Nunchaku
12-18-2001, 10:28 AM
Thank you, Jon. I really appreciate that. I must admit that at times I get too defensive about TKD. As you said, ther are a lot of bogus TKD instructors and schools that really only want to get your money. This is sad but true. Here in Memphis I have seen 4 TKD schools. 1 of those schools was totaly bogus. The other 3 were very serious about learning the martial arts. Thanks again for the reply.

myosimka
12-18-2001, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately it's mostly not.

Here is a local dojang http://www.ibbcv.com/ for example. They are actually selling videos of a halftime demonstration at a college basketball game. The good news is the mighty mite program is cheaper because it's for kids 5-7. If I quit my gym membership and paying for BJJ classes at another gym and the occasional mat fee for the MT guy I train with I might be able to...oh wait I still couldn't afford it cause I am in the adult category. Well I could probably afford the pre-conditioning rate before I started class there. Or do I have to pay that if I can already do a sit-up? This is some of the TKD you'll find in this great land. I mean they are charging me to take a class to take their class???

Which is sad. Decent art and I have seen a number of solid practitioners. Just wish they weren't trying to make a living at the expense of their art.

The other big problem is even most of the good people I have seen are sport focused which is cool. Just remember it's a sport. I don't think fencing is practiced as a martial art but I loved it as a sport. And I saw where concepts would apply. But I can't defend myself with modern sport fencing. And a number of TKDers think that they are doing self-defense training and from personal experience they are not. Still better than nothing though.

Martial Joe
12-18-2001, 08:09 PM
you ever here those kids or guys say "not till you hit me first"?

Some kid is really stupid and really bugs me sometimes and he said he would hit me in a nose once and I told him he wouldnt do that and he said that I was right because he wouldnt hit me unless I hit him first.

That is one very stupid thing if you ask me.
I think I would have almost hurt the kid to a point where he wouldnt want to hit me if he just gave me a free shot like that.

I never hit him...
Maybe I should make fun of his ugly girl friend when hes being a jerk to me...:D

Robbie
12-20-2001, 03:29 PM
If you've never seen a wrist lock that would snap your wrist you've never had anyone do it the right way. My shifu can do it so my only choice without giving up is to put myself in a worse place to save my wrist or get some of those lovely little bones and tendons separated. On the other hand some of my gung fu brothers don't always quite get it right and I can move enough to attack them and save my wrist. It's all a matter of how well you know your stuff.

TheGhostDog
12-20-2001, 04:02 PM
I have a problem with saying a technique works by relying on what the instructor can do to his students in class. If you're sparring hard, and the instructor can apply the wrist lock then fine. But if it's a "you grab my lapel and I apply the wristlock" type thing, then sorry, but that doesn't prove anything.
You didn't answer the question though, have you seen someone get a broken wrist from a wristlock, especially after it's been applied ?

DelicateSound
12-21-2001, 05:24 PM
I have, some guy in my old Judo class snapped one on to some guy and fractured his wrist. Ouch.

Tae Li
12-28-2001, 04:43 AM
Have you ever been in a "real" fight 'straight blast'?

Perhaps you have may have won or you may have lost....who knows? But please for your sake and for the sake of any idiot who actually listens to what you have to say dont crtique Tae kwon do as a means of NOT being used in a fight. I can assure you, many times it is the tae kwon do player who comes out the winner.

If only you fought a taekwondo martial artist and lost...you would have contradicted yourself twice.

You sound like you know it all for someone who has trained on and off. Give other martial artists credit (even those who do taekwondo) cause im sure many of them have trained for alot longer than you.

Tae Li
12-28-2001, 05:05 AM
Mr Nunchaku.....

I agree with Jon....good on you for sticking to your guns about tae kwon do. Dont worry, many of us are in the same boat.

I have a friend who does a style in kung fu, and although we are really close and love to talk about martial arts I tend to notice how she constantly criticises Taekwondo alot of the time.

I mean although I would have preferred to train in a kung fu style or even wushu (traditional wushu that is) i chose taekwondo due to the fact that it was the closest martial arts club to my home and that it was just that.. "a martial art".

But nonetheless i still chose it, and i trained my butt of for five years and Im still training today, and its because of Taekwondo that I have that extra confidence out on the street, especially as a young girl.

Im a relatively patient person but ever since Ive been on this forum all that Ive noticed is ignorant smart-mouthed people bragging every art except their own. And they love to brag out Tae kwon do. Why? Because it is not a complicated style? Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective.

Its a pity that some of these "martial artists" as they call them selves find this so hard to understand. But being a martial artist is not only about knowing how to take care of yourself and those around you out in the world but it is also about patience, morals, and understanding other martial art forms and how they work.

Please... stop and think for just a second... and look past that ignorant fog that is clouding your mind..

jon
12-28-2001, 05:39 AM
Hey good to see you on the boards...
Listen up guys I know this girl and she really would kick most of our asses;)
Dont fret about people trying to upnote there own arts or put down another. Its natural for people to feel pride in there arts its just that some people like to try and put others down to make themselfs feel better. I call it 'step laddering' they have to step on someone else to feel like there going up.
By the way if you mean who im thinking... she tried to do that to me, DONT LET HER... She is only ****ed off about her own training.

Keep posting Tae Kwon Do - Lian Li lover, your information is well worth reading.
Hope you had a great christmas and give us a buz soon.
Jon

JerryLove
12-28-2001, 12:14 PM
Tae Kwan Do makes a great deal of tactical and strategic decisions which are, in general, poor.

Firstly, TKD has made a decision to focus on a practically unmaintainable range (kicking). Against another artist, the odds of maintaing that range (espically while performing long kicks) is quite low.

Secondly, TKD has a great deal of focus on very long and complex techniques. High-kicks and kicking combinations being the most obvious. With rare exception, against a trained opponent, the opponent will have either distanced or closed (at the latest) as teh first kick connects, making the second kick being plausable an uncommon event.

Thirdy, there is a focus on fighting techniques which rely on speed and strength. This means you are giving up speed and strength relative to your opponent, you must be much faster than him (or he must be rather inexpereinced and prone to freezing) in order to pull off much of the technique with any reasonable chance of success.

As much as I am loath to bring up competitive fighting, I think that the fact that NHB fighting almost always immediately ends up to be grappling is telling of the reality of closing range.

jon
12-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Now i understand why Ginger used to hunt you down JerryLove...

"Tae Kwan Do makes a great deal of tactical and strategic decisions which are, in general, poor."

This is typical...
Ok JerryLove obviously your the expert on what IS a good tactical and strategic decision, so much so that you can prove wrong a host of various grandmasters many of whom have studied for decades. I can see you have also challenged and beaten many of these high level TKD masters as well... pfft
Get over yourself JerryLove you clearly have never learnt any real Tae Kwon Do. Let alone be in a position to bad mouth it.
You could have avoided this whole sorry reply by simply listing one MINOR thing in your post. Say its your opinion!
It IS opinion, state it as such! Your comment ive quoted reads like its writen by authority to be taken as truth. I challenge your authority to speak in such a way about a well respected art. If its your personal opinion then no problem just please make that clear.

Former castleva
12-29-2001, 09:18 AM
I agree with Tae Li when it comes to simplicity.
Simple movements may not be good-looking,but they are more natural to use under pressure and may save lives.

Asia
12-29-2001, 10:29 AM
First off I wonder how many brawlers we actually have who can give REAL insight and experience. Those who know me KNOW I fight, I fight often, I LOVE to fight, the best person to attest to this is my wife:D. I used even get into fight just to test my skill. Silly? Yes! (Yeah you just have my words on the screen to go on but read on:P) Seriously, the sad thing I see on the net all the time is pple who got in ONE fight, got there butt kick, then comment on what NOT to do in a fight. Funny isn't it. First lets get one thing clear! Say it with me:

"It is about the PERSON not the art, not the technique."

For every "You shouldn't do X." There are pple who can and has.
It is up to the PERSON to find what will work and how to employ it. Pple say "don't do high kicks" I say do what works. I have done high kicks and WON! I have done joint locks and WON! I hold rank in TKD, used it, and WON!! Now lets see was it the TKD kick, the kansetsu waza, the strip of cloth I tie around my cool pajamas. NO it was ME! What works for me won't work for everyone. (Man I hate making sense) So it is up to the PERSON to find what he can effectively use.

While I am ranting let me cover something to stimulate the LOGIC factors in the brain:

If you practice a Tradional/koryu/ancient/etc art the techinques that are in it are there for a reason!!!! The MA that surived today are those of the pple who WON there fight. Think who would follow a teacher who got his butt kicked all the time!!! Some matches were life and death, some MA teachers were bodyguards, soldiers, etc. SO that mean the LIVE by there wits and fighting skills. Do you think these guys would keep techinques that didn't work or had a purpose? Pple who USED MA to fight for lives is more educated to say what works than our modern Martial Arts hobbiest! Do your research pple. (I get equally annoyed with TKD who don't admit or know that TKD was Shotokan with a korean twist. Research!!)

If you practice a modern art then think why did the person chose the techniques he did for this art. (This is scary considering many of the money making arts that come along, ie more instrested in getting money than teaching defence.)

No matter what you study you have to find whta works for you adn know HOW to use it. Know you limitations. Know when to walk, know when to run (Kenny Rogers anyone:D) Know when you can take the dumb bloke assaulting you and dump him on his arse!

MA is violent. MA is combat. If you haven't grasped this then What are you doing?
A MArtist finds the most effective means to deal with a conflict.

DelicateSound
12-29-2001, 10:51 AM
Firstly, JerryLove - I agree with your principle comments but not the way you execute them. Get off the overly high-horse you have put yourself on, and stand with the rest of us :)

I like TKD, and I there are MANY TKD guys (and girls) who'd hand my ass to me in a second.

However *IN MY OPINION*, short, powerful blows are the best way to end a conflict.

fmann
12-30-2001, 11:48 PM
Yes it's the person, yes it's what works for them, etc..

However, there are some things that are universally true. For example, if you stand roughly 1 foot from a person, would you punch or try to kick the guy in the head? One is more efficient than the other.

I can say TKD is good at sport fighting. I don't know enough to comment on it efficacy in a street fight.

Asia
12-31-2001, 01:33 AM
However, there are some things that are universally true. For example, if you stand roughly 1 foot from a person, would you punch or try to kick the guy in the head? One is more efficient than the other.

Err.. This is were common sense comes in!!! The situation is to obvious. If you need more room than a foot to kick to the head then why try it!!! Come on if this has to be hashed out then you shouldn't be getting into any fights. Some things are just a no brainer.

Effective combat is knowing where, when, and how. If you don't know how to pick the right tools for the job then you're not training right.

Tae Li
12-31-2001, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by fmann

I can say TKD is good at sport fighting. I don't know enough to comment on it efficacy in a street fight.

Your right when you say that depending on the position of your opponent the choice of counter attack has obviouslly been made because another choice is not as effective, but in terms of TKD's efficacy on the street.....it does work. Ok, so I am not speaking entirely from my own personal exp. but many of my sparring and club members have had encounters on and off the street and they have always been successful. Some may not be so lucky. And hey, you have to remember, you can't assume that we are all bad fighters, therefore do not know how to handle a street situation....

And when your in a fight on the sreet you could be faced with someone who is not a martial artist, therefore, it is much easier (hopefully they dont have guns!) to attack rather swiftly...

And even if you are faced with a martial artist then obviouslly the situation differs. I don't know if you have ever been to an actual tournament for taekwondo before, but it ISNT demonstration and can be very similiar to a street fight.....dont roll your eyes...im serious...it can.

Well, in my club we fight very seriouslly...and a knockout in front of spectators could be identical to a knockout in front of a street gang. ALL situtations need to be assessed individually. We cannot generalise or jump to conclusions. Just remember that.

Kristoffer
01-04-2002, 01:28 PM
ugh... TKD
people who train it usually are extremly full of ****. Alo of ego around, but few that a have met can actually fight.
I know one though,, trained since he was like 5 or something. By his father, everyday. He was also a natural athlete. Beleive me,, he could fight. (and did it on a number on ocasions)

I like the art but not it's practioners. ( In generall) :D Mr N seems like a nice chap though :D

Mr Nunchaku
01-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks a lot, I appreciate that.

Big egos is a problem where ever you go really. You give someone a black belt and they think they are hot stuff. Hopefully the years will teach them how little they, and all of us really know.

Mr Nunchaku
01-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Tae Li, keep up your training. Just remember that tae kwon do is complex in its simplicity.

BTW, sorry for the late response, I've been away from the computer for a while now.

Tae Li
01-07-2002, 06:15 PM
No worries, Mr. Nunchaku,

Thanx for the extra encouragement, but nothing ever comes between me and my training, regardless of what anyone says. I train so that I can be the best that I can, there is always better than me which is why I always push myself to train even harder, and I think that everyone should have that sort of attitude.

Tae Li;)

chessGMwannabe
01-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone. I: mean no rudeness to any of you, but could we return to the original topic of this thread. what not to do in a fight . . . alot of you say that you like to fight, but I think that that's a bad thing to do in a fight if htat makes sense. I don't think that you can *always* say that just because someone's never been in a fight that they don't know how to handle one. for instance, I've loved martial arts since i was a little tike running around in ninja turtle pj's, but I've never been in a serious fight that wound up with people getting hurt. I've been in 6 fights, many with skilled MA's, but I don't like to fight. for me fighting is a way to help eachother fi that makes sense, but I don't really like to hurt people if there's no need. keep cool, find oout how to end the fight. I was recently taught the same palms up method mentioned earlier, but I don't think I like it. it gets you too involved for my taste. make sure that you aren't giving off the "I want to see if I'm better than you are" feeling, don't talk trash. gaze straight into the nothing in front of their chestif the "playful" shoves I ingnore. don't get wrapped up in it. I've had had a guy with 18" arms with his hands wrapped around my throat, but he felt the ice in my veins and let go (this guy was ****ed too, he was thoroughly sunburnt and I poured soda all over his back* OUCH!!) but if they can feel that you are ready to take it to the level and they don't know what you know, few people will be willing to take the risk. works for me anyways

-kevin

chessGMwannabe
01-15-2002, 08:30 PM
P.S. I wouldn't do that against someone that was drunk or something, or followed me hope and was already ready to fight without the b.s.

Black Jack
01-15-2002, 09:19 PM
:rolleyes:

If I wanted to kick the guy in the head it would be when he was on the ground.

People can make believe they are Andy Hung all they want but it's not my gig.

Leech
01-16-2002, 12:08 AM
From my experience(little), Tae kwon do just plain simply SUCKS.Well,offcource "Ive seen only crappy schools",thats the reason.Maybe I have something personal against the art?Oh..yes I have,maybe that fogs my mind a little?Maybe.Should you get ****t off by this post?Certanly not.Will you?By the heavens,offcource you will.:mad: