PDA

View Full Version : Question about jump crescent kick

SaMantis
12-10-2001, 03:51 PM
Hi, all --

I thought about posting this on the health&fitness forum, but since it's a Wah Lum question I wanted to get advice here first.

I'm having trouble getting my jumping inside crescent kick right. On the right side, I don't have a problem (probably because I've been working the kick in Say Lok), but on the left side I can't get my leg up and around. I've got enough height on the jump, I just can't get the kick around.

I practice the left side weekly and haven't improved. I just wind up with very sore muscles in the upper inside thigh. :(

Any suggestions/ideas on improving this kick? Thanks in advance.

SamM

NorthernMantis
12-10-2001, 04:27 PM
I practice the left side weekly and haven't improved. I just wind up with very sore muscles in the upper inside thigh

Good!It's supposed to hurt.It means your doing the right thing!kung fu takes time to learn not in a couple of days.Took me while to learn the butterfly kick but I'm getting better at it.I also need to work on the other side.There are many ways to get better at it.

First thing you should do is let your thigh heal so it will get stronger and then do it again for a while.Rest then repeat.

If that doesn't try working on your inside crescent kicks for a while so you can get more strength and momentum.Then try the jumping crecents.

Either that or try to practice the movement with out the kick.Start out in a horse stance and as you twist jump up while brining your rear leg into a golden chicken.Remember to look where your going to strike.The key is to lift up your leg as you jump to get more momentum.

Tell the Demo team and Sifu Mimi and Sifu Tu that andrew said hi.Give everyone my regards.Just mention my name nad they'll know me.The short Colombian kid with the brown eyes.Later

NorthernMantis
12-10-2001, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah don't forget practice,practice, and more practice.Did I forget to ention practice?:D

vixie
12-11-2001, 07:16 AM
Hi SaMantis,

Have you tried bringing the left leg into golden chicken prior to the kick, then exhaling as you execute? (That usually seems to release tension and allows me to relaxe on the swing.)

:D Vixie

Kiasyd
12-11-2001, 12:37 PM
Northern Mantis,

Thanks for the advices! I also have problems with this kick :(

-- Kiasyd

SaMantis
12-11-2001, 02:37 PM
I'll keep trying ... I can get my leg up into golden chicken on the jump, but I hadn't thought about exhaling on the kick!

Hm, practice? What's that? :D

NorthernMantis, I'll say hi to Sifu Mimi & the gang for ya. Were you at the anniversary back in October?

Thanks again!

Sam

vixie
12-11-2001, 02:45 PM
The one where we had the double butterfly knives seminar? Yes, I was there! Had a BLAST! Were you there, too?

NorthernMantis
12-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Yeah I was there.Sifu and everyone know me from a while back,the old students anyway,dont think any of the new students know me.I went to the seminar but I didn't learn the butterfly knife form.

No problem Kyasid.Hey I've seen some kung fu cousins come up from Brazil and man they train hard!Keep it up.

SaMantis
12-11-2001, 03:28 PM
Yep, I was there! I was the one wearing black ... :D

(Actually, you might have seen me -- I was wearing a red bandanna to keep my hair outa the way.)

Sam

18elders
12-12-2001, 06:32 AM
It would be easier to show you but i will try to explain some tips to help you out.
Some posts are good but people are missing an important tip, your arms.
try this for a while .
stand about 1 foot away from a wall with your back to the wall.
get in your horse stance and place your arms straight out from your side parallel to the ground.
Start the movement of your kick by going up to golden chicken and bring your left knee up high and turn your waist and at the same time swing your arms up and lift your chest up.
Don't do the kick just practise this motion. You want your arms to stay like a straight like a stick but they will be swinging left hand up and right hand towards the ground.
Try to generate the power with your waist, your knee coming up to goldend chicken and the swinging motion of your arms and also the lifting of your chest as your knee comes up.
You want to be by the wall to keep your arms swinging perpendicular to the floor. If you swing your arms wildly you will hit the wall.
After you do this for a while move away from the wall and do the motion and jump but don't kick. do that for a while until all the mechanics of the move start to feel good and then add the kick in.
I think your leg is getting sore because you are depending on your legs for all the power and not your waist and arms. It is also inportant to bring that knee high in your golden chicken.
Good luck.

NorthernMantis
12-12-2001, 03:10 PM
18Elders-

Actually I was thinking of letting him know that but I was taught how to do it witout swinging your arms first.