PDA

View Full Version : Master Feng's Xinyi Hunyuan Taiji...

Raiden
12-10-2001, 05:22 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I haven't studied the internal styles before and just recently became interested. I unfortunatlly live in a rural area and instruction is hard to find. I found a place a little over an hour away. It's called 5 Elements Tai Chi. Sifu is named Keith Boswell and he is a senior student of Yang Yang, who in turn is a disciple of Feng Zhiqiang.

My question has to do with the style. I really wanted to study Chen and Feng's system is based on it. In reading this board and others the general consensus is that many people can't/won't teach tai chi that is effective for combat. I'm not looking for a fight and I know tai chi can take years of study to master applications.

Is Feng's system a viable martial art. The lao jia and xin jia of Chen family is sipposed to be, I know. Practioners seem to think that much of the tai chi taught today has lost it's martial aspect.

For those familiar with Xinyi Hunyuan Taiji, is it effective?
It would seem that in learning from a person who has studied with a disciple and often Feng himself , I would be getting "the real thing" so to speak.

I have't been to watch any classes and wouldn't know what i was seeing anyway. So, I'm seeking qualified opinions.
I expect criticism for asking this question because these types of questions seem to draw it. Please, no flaming. I'm realli interested in seeing what you all have to say.

Cheers :)

Mighty Mungbean
12-10-2001, 06:09 PM
From what I've read Feng Zhiqiang is a real badass. Apparently the Chinese government retained(s) him to meet all official challengers to the Chinese government's wushu program. No small accolade for a 70+ year old man. You could certainly do a lot worse.
Have fun.

Fu-Pow
12-10-2001, 06:13 PM
Raiden-

I study with a student of Master Feng's also. It is good stuff, but I wouldn't count on lots of agressive sparring or anything like that. We work a lot on internal mechanics. The biggest "selling point" of Master Feng's system is the Chi Gong excercises. They essentially break down the movements from the Taiji form into smaller single movements. This may not seem especially helpful at first but you will come to appreciate it as you learn the Taiji form. Incidentally, Master Feng and his teacher Chen Fake are well known for their martial prowess. Specifically, the ability to defeat people without hurting them. Apparently, they do this by "throwing" them but they have such skill they can "decide" how they will land so they won't get hurt.

Peace

Kumkuat
12-10-2001, 08:28 PM
The most important thing should be internal development anyway, not fighting. Fighting is important, but it should come later.

bamboo_ leaf
12-10-2001, 08:48 PM
There is hope, well said.

These few words expressed very simply say a lot. ;)

luck in training

Raiden
12-11-2001, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. Very positive feedback you've given me.

My interest in taiji is really to develop my internal focus. I don't plan on ever getting in a fight, but I do wish to learn taijiquan as a martial art and not just pretty exercises.

Once again, many thanks.
Cheers :cool: