PDA

View Full Version : self-defense=dance???

zen_celt
12-10-2001, 06:43 PM
A few of you know of my problems mixing women with MA. Well now I find it may be working FOR me(there is a god). Here's my new plan(with set up)... I've got this girl I've been interested in for a while now(If I'm right, she's lookin at me too) and we are both in dance class. While we carry on the typical "how are you? etc." chit chat quite well, I've been having trouble finding an opening for meaningful conversation with this girl even though we had a good time for a few hours the other day(she did most of the intelligent talking while I just stood there looking like a moron). Anyway, she is a wonderful dancer, and she enjoys it, so I figured I'd ask her for some help with my dance after school(I'm auditioning for the dance concert). Mine is a highly modifed version of some katas I've blended together to create a dance of sorts. I figured this could be my way to get some alone time with her so we could talk and dance. If it works, I was thinking of maybe creating a duet with her thus creating more time together since she'll have to learn Kung Fu. So..whatcha think?
I think the biggest problem here is that I'll fall during a kick and look like an a$$ since whenever we make eye contact I lose whatever strength there is in my legs...
Well, here goes nothing(wow, I feel like this Russian roulette with 5 rounds chambered)
-ZC

P.S. to the moderators: methinks the content editor is a bit too strict since it finds the word "pr.icks" in my signature objectionable...can we fix this please? Also I wasn't even ALIVE in 1970. Other than that, it's lookin good so far.

Chang Style Novice
12-10-2001, 06:53 PM
Only action will bring a reaction. Do nothing, and nothing will happen.

To quote someone's tagline around here; carpe diem! (Seize the day!)

Ralek
12-10-2001, 07:25 PM
Kung fu forms dance? That sounds really gay. That reminds me of the movie "3 ninjas part 2" where they do a group forms dance. It was really gay.

I think you will have more success you offer to show her some BJJ and the various positions, guard, mount, side control, half-guard, north-south position, knee on stomach.

JasBourne
12-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Girls totally dig guys who can dance. Girls also love guys that are unselfconscious about learning how to dance. If you fall on your butt, smile, get up, dust yourself off, and say "well, that didn't work. Let's try that again!" and then try again.

I'm guessing you are in some kind of modern or interpretive dance class? Try learning latin dancing - you absolutely cannot go wrong with that one, you will become a total babemagnet, just ask any guy who can salsa.

Chang Style Novice
12-10-2001, 07:46 PM
Jas is correct. Best thing I ever did for the opposite sex was learn to tango (not quite a salsa, but whatever.)

Ralek is being even sillier than usual. "Never mind dinner, a movie and dancing. How about dinner, a movie, and I beat you up?" Yeah, that's sure to get her interested.

Ralek
12-10-2001, 07:50 PM
The only dance that i know is the hokey pokey from roller skating. If your at a club all you do is wiggle your body and girls will come up from behind and they will wrap their arms around you and start thrusing their pelvis into your butt like they are trying to azz frock you. I'm serious. This happens all the time. The seceret is to have a drink in your hand in pretend like your a little drunk and they will try to take advantage of you. The drink does not have to be alchohol. Soda works too. They think it's beer.

zen_celt
12-10-2001, 09:23 PM
Yep, the class is officially called "Hip Hop/Modern dance" but we do a lot of jazz as well. The concert is show casing a bunch of dance types(the girl I'm working with is doing Tahitian, Hawaiian, and hip hop) and they asked me to try to do some stuff with my MA, hence my situation.

As far as Salsa goes, I've learned some VERY basic stuff from a girl I hang with, but even basics will work wonders if you use some imagination...mix it with swing and you got yourself a good time.

So yeah, crossing my fingers and hoping all goes well. Thanks for the advice on the get up and grin Jas(I'll use that when I fall, heh).
-ZC

SevenStar
12-10-2001, 11:49 PM
I agree with the others about learning to dance. Rolls even had a point about clubs. The girls there are there to have fun, not to judge your dancing. If you are willing to dance, most will have no problem dancing with you. I disagree with the musical form thing, however. The forms are NOT a dance, and shouldn't be modified to look that way just to get her interested in kung fu. You don't intend on telling her that the dance IS kung fu, do you?

I would take a more indirect approach. Remember Karate Kid III?the chick was into pottery, and daniel made a self defense technique out of one of her pottery molding techniques. take one of her dance moves and show her how by substituting the dance for kung fu techniques that use a similar principle, you can create a self defense technique. you may not be able to get her interested in kung fu per se, but you may be able to get her interested in self defense applications. Also, Try showing her how some of your kung fu training exercises will benefit her dance abilities.

Ralek
12-11-2001, 05:53 AM
Chang Style Novice. You have misinterpreted what i typed. When you show her BJJ you don't beat her up. If they hear that you do wrestling then they will be turned on. I have actually done this. Even though i don't do BJJ i know some of the positions. She said "i'll wrestle all over with you".

And don't act like your flirting. Don't act like your just doing this as a chance to get to wrestler with her. Act like your truly on interested in showing her techniques. Be very serious when your showing different positions and explaining how to maintain them. She will be getting very turned on but if you stay serious then they will want you even more.

shaolinboxer
12-11-2001, 07:07 AM
If you screw up in front of her, she'll think it's cute. Don't sweat it and have fun.

The forms are yours, do what you like with them. I'd say modifying them into dance moves so that you can romance a nice young lady is one heck of practical application.