PDA

View Full Version : 1st form questions

Bessho
12-11-2001, 11:42 AM
i was just shown a slt that has 3 tan saus and 3 different pak saus. the 1st tan is for qisau, 2nd is thrusting, 3rd is whipping? how many tans and paks are in yuor form?
<ken

sanchezero
12-11-2001, 01:15 PM
By pak do you mean fuk? If not, I am at a loss as my SLT has no pak.

The three tan saus, are they all in a row at the beginning?

:confused:

Bessho
12-11-2001, 02:47 PM
in the beginning after the left and right punches...
1st tan sau out - then hune sau - woo sau backwardes
fuk sau out - then hune sau - woo sau backwards
fuk sau out - then hune sau - woo sau backwards

1st pak sau bay sholders then palm face stricke
then a whole bunch of gumb saus (left right, back, front)
some more stuff i don't knokw what they're calld ending with
palm pressing down with elbows locked while bredthing out then wrist lifting up with elbows locked and chambring fists.

2nd pak sau a little forward followd by palm to chest then hune sau and chamber fist.

then 2nd tan sau forward and up, then gurn sau to 2nd type tan sau again to hune sau and lower pam strike followed by 3rd pak sau up?

bong sau, to 3rd tan sau and another palm strike up.

then some stuff i don't know the name for.

<ken

rubthebuddha
12-11-2001, 02:52 PM
four

1. the first one that begins the saam pai fut (paying thrice to buddha)
2. the one that comes after the saam pai fut and l/r pak sau/palm/huen sau
3. the one that comes shortly after number two: this starts as a tok sau (lifting hand), but the hand positioning (palm up) is still the same, and is thus a tan sau
4. the final one that immediately follows the bong sau

Bessho
12-11-2001, 03:36 PM
rtb - doh! thanks for point that out. what is the idea behind the different tans and paks? btw - like the avatar. bravo! ;)

<ken

rubthebuddha
12-11-2001, 03:55 PM
remember how you're taught early on that wing chun is a simple style, with few techniques applied across a broad range of circumstances? think of how strong structually a tan sau is. why use it in one instance and create different techniques for different instances? if the tan sau is so effective, use it somewhere else.

think of a hammer. sure, you can bash nails all day with it, but you can also use it for other things, like clobberin' mooks when you work for the mafia, like modeling from if you're god and need a new design for sharks. you can use hammers for a million things other than nails.

same for your tan sau.

and your pak sau. not all attacks are going to come perfectly down your centerline on the inside of your man sau, so you need to develop a solid pak sau that you can use in a variety of slappy situations.

make sense? in your SNT, you're training your body to use simple techniques in various fashions. so focus on form and technique, and better off you'll be.

sanchezero
12-11-2001, 08:19 PM
For some reason I assumed you meant all of that stuff was crammed into the beginning of the form. Duh.

My only excuse is that I recently saw another WC guy playing SLT and it was totally different (not Cheung's adv slt tho).

I follow pretty much the same seq you gave.:)

Frank Exchange
12-12-2001, 03:43 AM
In the Wong Shun Leung interpretation of WC, the three types of tan sao are in the same order as described above:

1. The first and most important is to train the concept of Lut Sao Jit Chung, the prying force, forward energy, intent. This tan is done along the centreline.

2. The second is referred to as the stopping force of tan sao, where you learn the concept that tan may be used in different horizontal positions, between the centre and the shoulder. This is typically the type that is used in the tan da movement, for example.

3. The third is referred to as the shifting force of tan, and comes directly after the bong. The concept here is to go with a force on your structure, eg. shifting the force on your bong into tan.