PDA

View Full Version : san shou 2008

KF4LIFE
11-07-2001, 10:14 PM
Does anyone have any info about the chance of san shou being introduced in the 2008 olympic games in Beijing. If so please post.
Thanks

soy
11-07-2001, 10:21 PM
That would rule! I wonder if I could find sponsorship to train for those games. Hehe.

firepalm
11-07-2001, 10:30 PM
Word is that it would be either Wushu (Taolu / forms) or San Shou (now called San Da), China will probably go with Wushu forms as there is already plenty of combat oriented sports in the Olympics ie; Tae Kwon Do, boxing, Judo & soon Pankration.

GLW
11-07-2001, 10:35 PM
It is still up in the air. The way it works is that there is one medal for an event. If they choose Taolu, they still have to work out how to take all of the compulsories and then weight all of the scores together to come up with a gold, silver, and bronze medal.

Sanshou is actually easier for the medals but the downside is that it may be considered too similar to other events (like TKD, Boxing, etc....)

Nothing is decided yet so bets are not even that great. They also just replaced a number of people on the IWuF board so ....new folks...no telling.

I personally think that the replacements were made because they wanted the head person to be around through 2008...and Li Jie is at an age where he might have ended up wanting to retire before then...I know that Wu Bin is of that age range....

firepalm
11-07-2001, 11:02 PM
Perhaps you can elaborate I had heard that they were considering merging the medals for short & long weapons. What I don't understand is in gymnastics you can medal in all your respective events yet they want to have athletes merge their scores in weapon events. Further I understand if that is the case then automatically if an athlete plays straight sword then they must automatically do spear (& such broadsword paired with staff) no crossover players.

MonkeySlap Too
11-07-2001, 11:41 PM
Last I heard San Da was a real contender to be in the games...but that was last year when I heard this.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

GLW
11-08-2001, 01:39 AM
I really WISH I could elaborate on it. I read some of the briefs and have seen some of the items on the table...but there are a number of things being bandied about.

This added to how China and the IWuF handle things politically - redirection is an art form with them, I would say that nothing is certain until it is announced by the IOC.

Wongsifu
11-08-2001, 01:44 AM
i think that san shou will be in the games , my sifu knows for sure as he has recieved the papers from beijing, but he isnt telling me until he comes back soem time in the new year. I beilieve it is though from the way he was writing. Can you believe they have made it compulsory for every school to learn wushu and every student to practise it as part of sports !!! crazy stuff

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo