PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?(over training Q)

Apprentice
12-11-2001, 10:23 PM
Hmuch is too much with pushups/situps/jogging, just body weigh texercises? Should you train to sets of failure, near failure? Just enough to be warmed up n stay warmed up? How often is safe to do em?

Wrestlers do pushups, and jog, and sprint, THEN wrestle, like 6 times a day, is this healthy? I thoguht you need to allow your muscles time to grow...do they grow back faster with just calisthenics? Can you push em more when using only your body weight? This is somethign i really would like to know, i plan on working out with basically, ONLY calisenthetics,(i have no weights) and as hard as it's safe, what are the rules for that? Wrestlers tell me their sore alot(especially when they first start out)....advice guys?

and since there has been an increase in female population(hello ladies), advice from the gals is of course welcome too if they know...

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-11-2001, 10:32 PM
dont worry dude .. . you'll puke when it's time to stop.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-11-2001, 11:20 PM
it's just like drinking.

scotty1
12-12-2001, 04:43 AM
I used to get in and do like 80 pushups and 200 situps everynight. thats how i ****ed my chest. now I do that say two times a week, practice technique the day after, and i have noticed more gains that way. less is more as they say. Watch and listen to your body.

Ginger Fist
12-12-2001, 06:23 AM
--it's individual ... depends on ur goals ... find ur upper limit & then carefully reduce until u find the least amount u must do 2 maintain ur desired level

Colin
12-12-2001, 09:10 AM
just don't turn up late (less then 5 minutes)at class like I did last night!
He made me do 50 knuckle push ups in front of the class!
It's amazing how much easier it is when others are watching!
I won't be late tonight.
C.............

shaolinboxer
12-12-2001, 10:45 AM
I hate lateness punishments...

Anyway, it can take a long time beore how much training is healthy for you. Just pay attention to your health, physical and mental, and see where you comfortably fall. Then do just a touch extra, like a stretch here or a long stair climb there.

Paul
12-12-2001, 10:48 AM
pushups for being late? that's bogus. It's not like you signed up for the military.

rubthebuddha
12-12-2001, 10:56 AM
nah. if he did, he'd have to clean the thrones for a week with a toothbrush.

Apprentice
12-12-2001, 11:47 AM
to gain strength, size, and muscle endurance, if there's ways to optimize each of them, i'd liek to know that too...i heard u can work your abs more than other stuff, that true? and jogging, or sprints, how often should u do those? what will the results be towards your strenth training?

prana
12-12-2001, 04:13 PM
Apprentice
May I suggest, periodisation.

Begin with 3-4 weeks low intensity 15-30 repetition exercises, build capillarity whilst staying in the aerobic system

Then 2-3 weeks Anaerobic/hyperthrophy of 6-12 repetition exercises to gain tolerance to Lactic Acid and Muscle Mass generation

Then 2 weeks of high intensity 1-3 reps exercises to failure followed by a weeks complete break, relax, massage and stretches.

For me personally, I use the golden rule, one full day after DOMS have completely resided as the muscles need time to super-compensate. Signs of too much training, monitor waking heart rate, insomnia, high blood pressure and signs of becoming sick such as inflamed glandular system.

I emphasize stretching and proper warming up.

Ginger Fist
12-12-2001, 06:07 PM
--good advice ... cycling with the seasons works good 2

Qi dup
12-12-2001, 06:59 PM
Hey man Check out harry Wongs book, "Dynamic Strength." It's cheap and may give you some ideas. And don't forget about eat the right things if your going to be working your body heavily. I don't know to much on the subject but I drink one whey protien shake on my off days and two on the days I workout. I guess your body needs protein the most at night when your sleeping but like I said i don't know much on the subject. Just some thoughts.

Apprentice
12-12-2001, 08:27 PM
"Begin with 3-4 weeks low intensity 15-30 repetition exercises, build capillarity whilst staying in the aerobic system"

Hmm, how many days per week? and whats capillarity?

"Then 2-3 weeks Anaerobic/hyperthrophy of 6-12 repetition exercises to gain tolerance to Lactic Acid and Muscle Mass generation"

Whats anerobic/hyperthropy? so then i decrease reps?

"Then 2 weeks of high intensity 1-3 reps exercises to failure followed by a weeks complete break, relax, massage and stretches."

high intensity? 1-3 reps? isn't that an oxy moron, im using body weight remember? How is 3 pushups high intensity? Maybe u were thinking of weight training, unless i misunderstood...

prana
12-12-2001, 08:59 PM
sorry, I am only presenting the basic principles of 'one' of the many programs of physical training.... :) I wasnt meant to become specific....

when I say 'reps' I meant, well increasing resistance until reps become failure... say 3 reps to failure for power/

xiong
12-13-2001, 09:42 AM
What it looks like prana is referring to is a weight training program. I believe that research has shown subjects show greater gains by following this program as it encourages muscle adaptation in a progressive manner. The 1-3 reps is basically at your weight max, ie alot of weight.

My own personal advice falls in with everyone else. Listen to your body. My biggest problems have come from hurting myself and then having to take time off to heal enough to train.

I suggest looking at specific goals for your body and then setting up a light, medium and intense regimen. Basically go a little lighter than you want as you are starting out and as it becomes easier ramp it up. You can train everyday but build up to it by doing three or four times a week for say a month. As you build up whatever attributes you are looking for you can expand that to everyday.

Just some advice from someone who is constantly struggling for the "perfect" workout routine.