PDA

View Full Version : GDA

IronFist
12-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Dude, I worked out to death metal today. It was bad ass.

Iron

scotty1
12-12-2001, 02:58 AM
Don't mention Death Metal on this board!

Man, you'll get your a$$ BANNED!!!

(Who was it? If you're into hardcore punk and death metal, get Slayer 'Undisputed Attitude'. I wet myself each and every time I listen to it.) How do you classify Death Metal? Cos in Britain we would say Death is stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Carcass, Deicide etc. Slayer is thrash, with an edge of death, but like 2/3 hardcore punk.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!:cool:

IronFist
12-12-2001, 03:56 AM
I dunno dude, but I just downloaded something by Dimmu Borgir, and it's pretty cool.

I think definitions vary from person to person. To me, Death is stuff like Cannibal Corpse.

How would you classify metal that is as hard as that, or like it sounds like Cannibal Corpse, but doesn't have morbid lyrics?

Iron

scotty1
12-12-2001, 04:26 AM
I donno, I've ever heard metal with that thick death sound but without morbid lyrics. i guess it would depend on the vocal style.
But do get Undisputed Attitude. Its Slayer covering old Hardcore tunes, and it is AMAZING. They play like two songs back to back, and you're thinking "how do they have that much enrgy and stamina?" And its got Slayer's slowest song ever on it, called Gemini, its about some killer or someone.
As you're talking about Death, I guess you might not even like Slayer at all. I don't really get into their early stuff too much, but Divine ntervention onwards blows me away.

Hey, where'd everybody go?:)

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 07:40 AM
there are only a couple bands that have the death metal sound without the same oriented lyrics. the only one i can think of right off the top of my head is napalm death, and they claim to be hardcore. of course everyone just calls them death anyway.

i have actually heard slayer more typically refered to as speed metal, but there's certainly not a world of differnece between speed and thrash.

Water Dragon
12-12-2001, 07:56 AM
Anyone remember Possesed?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 07:57 AM
iron . .. i work out to death or thrash every time i work out.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 07:58 AM
wd . .. haha . . i do.

i still have one of their tapes ... the one simply titled possessed with just their logo on the cover.

the intro was the exorcist music if i remember right.

Ralek..
12-12-2001, 07:59 AM
my biggest problem with death metal has always been the lyrics and image.I really only to listen to a select few band now,Morbid Angel
and Suffocation(no longer around) being two of my favorites.these bands play very interesting technical music with great guitar work and
lots of polyrythmic stuff going on.It's unfortunate that the music often gets looked over because it is NOT crap.People may not like it,but it
is some of the more advanced,intense,passionate music outside of Jazz and Classical.
But.....the lyrics are predictable and outright silly and thats too bad.I don't expect these bands to write songs about flowers and teddy bears
but some originality is needed.The satanic thing is just plain hilarious and detracts greatly from the otherwise cool music.
On another note...I feel bad for kids coming up today because there isn't much of an underground music scene anymore.Korn,Limp
Bizkit...man I feel bad for these kids being fed this sh##.Oh well, I remember the days of the $5-$7 punk show where the bands may have
musically sucked...but something special was going on there.</end_rant>

PS i hate MTV

BJJ is inferior

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 08:01 AM
i like this ralek.

Chang Style Novice
12-12-2001, 08:05 AM
Hey, the double dot is back!

I asked a question on the last deleted metal thread about how do you distinguish all these subgenres. So, here it is again.

Just what the hell is the difference between thrash, speed, dark, death, doom, etc. metal? I don't listen to them much, admittedly, but when I do I can't tell one from the other.

Help me out here, y'all.

Ralek..
12-12-2001, 08:16 AM
hardly any difference.It almost seems as if people create a new subgenre every day.I guess most are created by various sources of media and record companies trying to market these bands.They mean nothing really,IMHO.I suppose you could say old Metallica,Anthrax,Slayer etc. = speed,thrash (also thought of as the 2nd generation metal bands if you want to get specific).Morbid Angel,Carcass,Death, etc..= death metal and a million other silly subgeneres.the difference between "death" and other metal is merely the intense speed,cookie-monster style vocals, and "evil" lyrics.
Oh yeah..Black Metal = people who dress in Halloween costumes, paint their faces and use cheesy electronic keyboard sounds.

BJJ is inferior

PS its fun to use poor grammar

Chang Style Novice
12-12-2001, 08:25 AM
That's about what I figured. I'm really into hiphop, and can distinguish subgenres based on minor differences (tempo, subject matter, type of vocal syncopation used, certain distinctions in sample choice/keyboard settings used) but really, it's all pretty much just hiphop. Some is good and some sucks.

The people that say "I love jungle, but I hate drum'n'bass" confuse the hell out of me, too.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 08:44 AM
i guess thrash can be called the no - nonsense metal. in the days of hair bands (poison, winger, cinderella) thrash was alwasy in the back ground hammering away at producing hard music usually to the theme of their polictical and social viewpoints. they also had allot of fun with their music, but by no-nonsense i mean that they weren't a bunch of pu$$ys playing pu$$ music just because it was popular. the most popular band i can think of would be anthrax (who kinda went down hill when they replaced their original singer with the dude from armoured saint imo anyway). dri was also one of the first to bring this type of music out in the open.

i think speed is kind of a wierd and uneccessary catagory. my knowlege of music and how it works is almost nil, but as far as i can tell it's just thrash played as fast as humanly possible at all times. old school slayer (up until south of heaven) is the only band i can think of that would fit this catagory vs. thrash without looking through my tapes at home.

death is allot harder than most thrash bands and has a darker sound to it. there are generally allot less guitar leads (though they are in there) and the musicians rely on distortion effects to a much greater degree to produce their sound. death is also catagorized by it's death or satanic related lyrics.

"thou has failed you now . . once again . . and always will
on the cross a forgotten son . . a sacrafice that had to be done. . .

3 days to rise . . . if he lives again he is sure to die . .
i killed jesus just to see him bleed on his pompus throne.
i am evil
i am the deicide i killed the lord . .. "

those are two parts of the song deicide, by the same name, to the best of my memory.

as a side note . .. allot of magazines would classify king diamond as death metal because of his lyrics, but he is not death metal. nope .. . i can not accept that.

i guess im getting old cause i lump doom, dark, and black all togeather too. as far as i know the lyrics are along the same lines as death metal, if not more offencive some of the time. the main differances between these types of metals and death is their use of more melodic melodys, wide variety of instruments including violens and such, and less distortion most of the time. i have never been very into these types of bands but from what i have heard most of the vocalists have more of a higher pitched scream vs. the low pitched growl typical of death metal. i'm sorry to say that i really can't think of any popular examples of these types of bands. if i remember right, the original singer from napalm death formed a band called cathedral way back in the day .. . and i think they are black metal ... but i can't remember for sure.

scotty1
12-12-2001, 08:47 AM
Why don't you post under your own handle? Sounds like you make a hell of a lot more sense than the original Ralek.

Subgenres of metal are (I think) pretty clear cut if you listen to it yourself. Like you can tell the difference between diff. styles of KF, but most people off the street wouldn't have a clue. Couldn't even tell the difference between Praying Mantis and Wing Chun.
Death, thrash and black are all pretty easy to tell apart.

Ralek..
12-12-2001, 09:02 AM
"end of god the way it must be, behead the prophet let satan free"

Man....thats so poetic LOL.I wonder if these guys(deicide) expected people to take them seriously with lyrics like that.That reminds me..

Back in high school I remember some kids wrote those same lyrics on a wall in the cafeteria.Except, they missed one too many English classes because it read like this:

"end of god the way it must be, behead the 'profit'
let satan free"

My friends and I always had a good laugh about that one.Who knows, maybe it has some secret economic meaning.;)

BJJ is inferior

In my mind, I'm going to Frederick

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 10:00 AM
dude . .. have you ever seen glen benton?

i dont think he gives a flying fu ck who takes him seriously.

i agree that it's kinda ridiculous, but unlike slayer, i don't think they do it cause they think it's cool ... i think they do it cause the really believe it.

Ralek..
12-12-2001, 10:20 AM
GDA
Benton has a friggin' inverted cross burned into his forehead - you're right he doesn't give a f###!
Those guys are harmless though, they play music hang out and get stoned all the time.(yep, I picked the wrong career-****!)
I wanna start a band again and put my talents to use.Doesn't seem to be many people around that wanna play this stuff...oh well.U play any instruments GDA??

BJJ is inferior

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 11:24 AM
i played bass about 8 years ago but could never get the hang of music.

im fairly dexterious, so i could fly all over the bass after some practice and all the notes would sound clear, unfortunately i had absolutely no rythem or beat though.

my growl could be pretty **** mean with some work though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 11:25 AM
you forgot the chicks too ...

though i wonder what deicide groupies look like . .. .probably just a bunch of goth chicks . . . which aint necessarily a bad thing.

txwingchun
12-12-2001, 11:57 AM
There's not much in the way of groupies, But the the bands do party. I played bass for a blackmetal band for abour 2 years and our drummer loved to get drunk and party with bands like incantation when we had a shw with them. I don't if the band has anymore groupies now that they got signed I haven't talked to them in about 2 years. If you want a lot of chicks than you have too play some pu$$ified music that attracts more girls they generally aren't into the darkside of music.

IronFist
12-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Right. A lot of death metal is cool ****ing music, but the lyrics and image are kind of sick. Have you guys ever listened to Bal Sagoth? Go download "return to the praesidium of Ys." BS is one of those bands where one of their songs will totally suck, and the next one will be the coolest thing you've heard.

Music just has to have a certain feel to it to get me in a pumped workout mood. Some songs have it, other songs don't.

One thing that ****es me off, tho, is that most people are like "yeah, death metal bands just get up there and wail and have no talent or anything." I want to say to these people, "Yeah, **** you, let's see your ***** ass Dave Mathew's band get up there and try to play what any metal band plays."

Some people.

Iron

Ralek..
12-12-2001, 05:50 PM
hey, don't rag on Dave Matthew's band..There's lots of talent backing him up...um..er well ok, just the drummer. :)

ribdeth
12-12-2001, 06:00 PM
I remember Possessed. ;) I'm not sure if I'd say they were the first Death Metal band, or if Death was, but either way, they helped start it. I'm still waiting for a reissue of "eye of the possessed". As for CC, they're technically grindcore.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 07:53 PM
i don't think either were the first.

the earliest copyright i have ever seen was for a band called onslaught. i was like 9 or 10 when i heard this tape but i'm almost positive they were a death band and the copy right was 1978.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 08:01 PM
looks like possessed definately had an album out before death though. just checked the copyrights and scream blood gore came out in 87 and the possessed album i have, 7 churches, came out in 85.

txwingchun
12-12-2001, 08:09 PM
What about Bathory and Venom they were early 80's death/thrash I thought they were out before possessed.

Leonidas
12-12-2001, 11:39 PM
Sorry.....Not down with the Devil music, but i do listen to Metal, Hard Rock or pu$$ified music as you put it. H*ll, i listen to any music if it sounds good. Just bought Classical hits:D. Maybe i'll find a Hardcore band without all the Satan worship BS one day. Gotta stick to commercial sh*t for now. Whats wrong with Korn:confused:

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-13-2001, 01:01 AM
what's wrong with corn?

i'm going to pretend i didn't hear that.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with classical though.

not sure about bathory but i'm pretty sure venom was thrash. there were lots of thrash bands out before death as far as i remember.

you know i don't want to jinx it, but we are talking about death metal!!! that's cool as sh!t. one of my favorite things and they are actually leaving the topic up. kick a$$.

IronFist
12-13-2001, 02:05 AM
You guys know what tho, progressive metal is cooler than death metal, IMO.

Iron

Reima Kostaja
12-13-2001, 04:37 AM
Shouldn't he be dead by now? I remember him swearing to kill himself after he turned 26 or somthing. I think it was about living longer than jesus or some other sillyness.

Reima Kostaja
12-13-2001, 04:42 AM
Have any of you guys heard Brujeria?
Now there's a kick ass metal band with an attitude.

And yes the nu-metal(=korn, gimp buzzcut) or whatever it's today sucks ass.

scotty1
12-13-2001, 06:12 AM
I hate that title. When Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones et al, actually, no ET AL, just those three came out, they ****ing kicked my ass. No **** about it, stripped down, ****ed up, ****ed off mother****ers.

Man, that sentence is gonna look cool once its been censored.:)

But the thing is, APART from Deftones, who are just quality through and through, Limp and Korn never matched the excellence of their debut albums. Korn took a little longer to go wank than Limp, but they still did it. Ho hum. Same with Fear Factory, although they were never really Nu Metal. And Machine Head, come to think about it, although their second album was still brilliant. And yeah, I've heard of Brujera. Dont they have Dino Cazares and half of FNM in them?

Soulfly - decent first album, not heard anymore than that.

Sepultura (w/Max) - uh, uh, uh, uuuuuuuh. Aaaaaaah. That was good. Thanks.

Gimme something I can dance to.

OH OH, Down and Pantera continue to kick my ass to this very day. But only from Far Beyond Driven onwards.

As if anybody cares.:D

Ralek..
12-13-2001, 06:57 AM
I guess the death metal topic and the hip hop topic are staying.That's fine.In my neverending quest to eliminate hip hop I tried to have it removed, but alas I failed.

Ok anyway, what about the importance of a great drummer in a death metal band?the music is played as such crazy speeds and the tempo changes are so quick that a lesser drummer can't cut it.I admire some of these drummers and know how much stamina it takes to play a live show every night and keep on top of it.precision double-bass really does take an obscene amount of practice and dedication to master it.now thats kung-fu ;)

as for Benton...he talks a lot of s###.And franky deicide's music kinda blows.

now who wants to challenge me??!

BJJ is inferior

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-13-2001, 07:47 AM
what exactly defines progressive iron? any band recomendations?

soulfly's next album, primitive, was pretty good too i thought.

sepultura without max just aint sepultura though. i got against to check it out and was sadly disapointed. it's not just that max moved on to soulfly, but the music took a turn for the worse too.

Budokan
12-13-2001, 08:10 AM
I miss the Spice Girls. Not their music, just beating off to their pictures. That's just me, I guess.

Ralek..
12-13-2001, 08:24 AM
Budokan-
dont you mean the backstreet boys?

BJJ is superior

Budokan
12-13-2001, 09:33 AM
No, I'm pretty sure it's the Spice Girls.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-13-2001, 10:00 AM
is it ok if i beat off to the back street boys?

IronFist
12-13-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
what exactly defines progressive iron? any band recomendations?

I would define progressive metal as metal played by virtuosos, often classical progressions... sometimes it's called neo-metal.

Band recommendations:

Stratovarius
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Angra

Make sure you download songs from them that aren't covers of other band's music... cuz Stratovarius has one album of covers that doesn't sound like their kind of music at all.

Maybe you should start with "Destiny" by Stratovarius. It shoudl give you a good feel for what prog metal is like.

The only thing a lot of people don't like is that many prog bands have high pitched voice singers... some suck, but some are awesome.

Iron