PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Kung Fu?

KungFuGuy!
12-12-2001, 01:36 AM
I've done some reading on the 5 main animal styles, and the description for dragon style really struck me as something that I'd like to learn. Does anyone know of a site that has a list of schools? If not, is there a school anywhere in Ontario Canada?

meltdawn
12-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Hi Kungfuguy.

I believe there are a couple of Canadian dragons on the boards. Hopefully one of them will pop up and help you.

My site has a few links, and those sites will have a few links, etc.

One clarification. Lung Ying - dragon style - is not from the 5 animals you have read about. It is seperate and distinct. Good luck in your search!

KungFuGuy!
12-12-2001, 11:53 AM
Thanks, the site was helpful in obtaining more information on the art.
One more question, what weaponry is taught at most dragon style schools?

meltdawn
12-12-2001, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my site!

Weapons in my lung ying school:

Hak Ga tiu
Bing guan
Cheung Guan
Bench
Kwan do
Pa - Tiger fork
Tee chet – sais
Chee mo sheung do – sun and moon knives
Jahm – long-headed spear
Tang Pai – shield
Tonfas
Hoe

KungFuGuy!
12-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Hoe, as in garden hoe? That sounds interesting. I've never heard of a martial arts place teaching the use of a shield. Do you learn offensive applications to the shield in addition to defensive?
Also, I'm not sure what the first 5 on that list are. I hope one of them is a sword :)

Yum Cha
12-13-2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by meltdawn
One clarification. Lung Ying - dragon style - is not from the 5 animals you have read about. It is seperate and distinct. Good luck in your search!

Melty, your comments piqued my interest, could you elaborate? How does Lung Ying relate to the 5 Animals theory? Does it? Is it more comprehensive than just the one animal or is it that it simply doesn't include the theory of the 5 animals.

Thanks in advance.

CLOUD ONE
12-13-2001, 04:52 PM
Mr Yum cha,
Were you asking or teaching 'mistress' Meltdawn?

Do you know what this means- 'Fiy Wah':)

Yum Cha
12-13-2001, 07:28 PM
Cloud,
I am really a very simple personality, I'm interested in her ideas and curious to hear how she explains the theory. Nothing more.

No, I don't know "fiy wah," do you care to elaborate?

CLOUD ONE
12-14-2001, 02:25 AM
Yum,
Simple peronality- a great trait!
Are you sure you and f.T come from the same stable?

Is Lung Ying an animal?
Are we animals?
Does elemental theory come into it?

What do you know?

KungFuGuy!
12-14-2001, 05:06 AM
Whenever this thread gets a reply, I think that someone is actualy answering my questions. Please stop making me get my hopes up for nothing :P

meltdawn
12-14-2001, 07:58 AM
Yum Cha:

Thank you for your thought-provoking questions. Since pak mei and lung ying share some common roots, I would be interested in discussing this with you and passing along my master's teachings to me, obviously with respect to the high value we place on our system, and good judgement in our correspondence. Please contact me through my school's website at

floridadragon@lungyingjingjung.com

Kungfuguy, this also goes to you and anyone else interested in friendly discussion. Through KFO I have made some very good friends, and learned more through them.

My master says that in kung fu, nobody wants to be number two. Unfortunately, there will always be some individuals like Cloud One who train so poorly (if at all) that they know they will never be number one, so they must mouth-box and stop discussions whenever they feel threatened by real knowledge. So they never reveal their identity (real or KFO alter-ego) nor their style, not for shame of embarrassing their teacher - honor is unknown to them - but for fear of degredation.

Cloud One
Here ya go, this thread is yours. Now you can further your belief in my ignorance, since I won't be replying openly on this topic. And therefore, you further your own.

KungFuGuy!
12-14-2001, 08:25 AM
Hak Ga tiu
Bing guan
Cheung Guan
Bench
Kwan do

Can someone please tell me what these weapons are?
I'd still really like to know if there are any lung ying schools in Ontario :D

Yum Cha
12-16-2001, 05:34 PM
My understanding of Animals and Elements is not a fundamental issue in my learning, but I am interested and developing my knowledge Cloud. Sometimes I think it's obvious, but at other times I think it's not. I have learned the physical side without the language, and now the language is filling in the little spaces and bringing my physical knowledge into a kind of focus. There is so much that I don't know, would you like to share?

Melty - I'll email you privately if that is your preference. My Si Gung spent some time studying with Lam Yew Gwai.

KFG - Here's the best this round-eye can do:

Bing guan - whip stick?? Perhaps the long stick that is thick at one end and thin at the other?
Cheung Guan - (double??) sticks
Bench - a wooden aparatus upon which you place your arse, but without a hole in the middle.
Kwan do - long heavy pole with a blade at the end, much like a hapbred. The Kwan Do is a much revered weapon, the Big Yang weapon of Kung Fu.

Do (Dao, Doe) - a knife, perhaps a sword, depending on the weapon.
Gim (Gihm) - a sword as westerners generally interpret one.
Kwan (guan) - a stick.
Cheung (scheng) - double, as in double swords, or double sticks.

Perhaps somebody else can indicate my accuracy for Kung Fu guy, I'm probably off on a couple.

My experience has been that weapons are only seldomly style specific, many weapons are used across many arts. There are, however, notable exceptions.

Here's another Dragon site:
http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~lindau/

fiercest tiger
12-16-2001, 06:06 PM
same stable different mould, hahahah! fark ya:D

my sifu threw away the mould so no one like fiercest tiger, im the original gwalo O.G:p

CLOUD ONE
12-16-2001, 07:10 PM
My old friend,
How's it going? why the bitterness?
What have you been working on in your own personal training?

You said before that your style adopts the stances of dragon and the arms of Pak Mei, Why compicate things? What advantages are there for not adopting Pak Mei stances with Pak Mei hands or Lung ying stances with Lung Ying Hands?

Just curious no flaming intentions here so don't get your knickers in a twist;)

Yummy-:) Not to p1ss on your party, I think your perfect the way you are.'there is so much I don't know' Keep it that way is my advice to you;)

meltdawn
12-16-2001, 07:14 PM
Hi Yum Cha.

Still would be happy to speak with you via email.

Bing guan = small staff
Cheung guan = long staff

Sheung is double, cheung is long.

Mold = pattern shape
Mould = stuff that grows on old bread

Just thought a gwai po could help a gwai lo in need. ;)

Yum Cha
12-16-2001, 07:34 PM
Melty, Gwai May?

I emailed you, let me know if you didn't get the post.

Cloud - your advice is well taken, I have been questioning the necessity of the theoretical knowledge myself - a bit like playing with fire. I have fears it will not only focus some things, but un focus others.

Tongue-fu has its own place, and knowing the difference is important. I am still asking myself if this little journey of mine on-line over the last few months has made my Kung Fu better, and I still cannot answer. But I have met some interesting people and made some friends.

BTW, I know that Sifu doesn't mean master. :D

Anyone that calls themselves a master is most assuredly not one, it is a term that can only be given by others. Is there a Chinese term for Master? Si Jo?

Paul
12-17-2001, 02:07 AM
>>>You said before that your style adopts the stances of dragon and the arms of Pak Mei, Why compicate things? What advantages are there for not adopting Pak Mei stances with Pak Mei hands or Lung ying stances with Lung Ying Hands?

Maybe I'll let you know one day. have you seen both of them together? some schools teach bak mei and lung ying, imagine that. heh.

triskellin
12-17-2001, 09:29 AM
>> yummy said:
Gim (Gihm) - a sword as westerners generally interpret one.
Kwan (guan) - a stick.
Cheung (scheng) - double, as in double swords, or double sticks.

melty said:
Bing guan = small staff
Cheung guan = long staff
Sheung is double, cheung is long.
Mold = pattern shape >>

A gim is the straight sword, but u all probably know that. my sifu calls a broadsword the do. Well you gwai lo/po are doing better than me, how embarrassing... :cool:

thanks for the plug yummy, but my site doesn't have any info on weapons. :( i might put some more weapon pics up later, we'll see....
if i get a series of trolls visiting my site, we all know who's the blame! :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

weapons in my school (in no particular order):

broadsword (do)
straight sword (gim)
dragon pole (lung guan? hehe, i made that up :D)
pole/staff/stick (guan)
fan (sin)
trident (same thing is a tiger fork? i dunno, it has the 3 points...)
butterfly knives (wu dip do)
spear (?)
bench (?)
pudao
kwan do
and i can't think of any others.

kfg: can't say if there are any dragon schools in ontario, u've probably already checked green dragon's site. there was also dragon in vancouver, but i guess that's too far for u! :D

KungFuGuy!
12-17-2001, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen green dragon's site, can you tell me the address please?

Dale Dugas
12-17-2001, 10:30 AM
Sifu Mark Chan/Chan Hwa Green Dragon site is at:

Http://grndragon.worldgate.ca

fiercest tiger
12-17-2001, 04:05 PM
The Trident is called the DAI PA = BIG FORK:)

May i ask how Master Chan's health is?

all the best for the new year to lung ying and yourself!:)

KungFuGuy!
12-17-2001, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the translations, and for the link. However, the only thing on that site related to dragon style was a broken link.
Still waiting for those Canadian dragons :D

Ao Qin
12-18-2001, 07:28 AM
Hello -

There are actually quite a few Dragon Style schools in Canada - finding them is the trick!

Green Dragon (Edmonton, Alberta)
Green Dragon (Colinton, Alberta)
Dragon Sign AA (Vancouver - believe there are 2 Schools)
Dragon Style School (Yellowknife)
Dragon Shadow Kung Fu Association (Winnipeg)

I also know there is a newer school opened in Toronto - I have the video of their opening, but no name or address.

All the above schools teach Lung Ying, and I'm sure there are several others. Anyone else from Canada care to add to this list?