PDA

View Full Version : Plyometrics

MightyB
12-12-2001, 11:31 AM
Has anybody had much experience with plyometrics training tailored for the martial arts?

And, if so, do you know of any websites that describe some good plyo workouts, or do you have any specific plyo routines that you enjoy?

I'm looking specifically for workout ideas designed to build up explosive power in kicks, punches, and jumps.

Robinf
12-12-2001, 12:00 PM
There is a book out that is specifically Ploymetrics for Martial Arts (I think it's for Taekwondo). I forget the name of it. Try looking in amazon or barnes and noble.com.

As for building explosive power, first you have to have power. See where your strength is first. You might find that a weight training routine might be better for you, then work in plyos.

Robin

MightyB
12-12-2001, 12:21 PM
I actually do weight train and I'm a big believer in weight training. I find it amazing that there are so many misconceptions about weight training among martial artists. I constantly hear martial artists talk about weight training causing them to lose speed and reach and I can't help but laugh at them. How many Olympic sprinters weight train? All of them. If they believe in the positive effects of weight training, than I think that a martial artist can to. I think that people have trouble distinguishing between weight training and body building. I do believe that body building is counter productive to MA.

Just felt like ranting, sorry about that.

No, the reason I'm interested in Plyo right now is because I used to run middle distance and sprint in high school. My coach was a big believer in Plyo for increasing speed out of the blocks. The difference was negligible to most people because the gains measured in the tenths or hundredths of a second. That could mean the difference in placing first or second. I firmly believe that those tiny speed increases will work in competion, especially in fighting where that tenth of second could be you hitting your competitor first and taking the steam out of their counter strike.

Thanks for the quick response, I'll definitely check Barnes and Noble.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2001, 12:43 PM
there was a jumping thread a little while back that had exercises in to improve jumping.

as many posts as this forum gets it should be further back than page two or three.

it's just called jumping i think.

Robinf
12-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Here it is:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6507

Here's another one that has some good info on plyo and explosive power:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6463

Glad to see that you do weight train, MightyB. I started seriously weight training 4 months ago. The improvements in all aspects of my martial arts have been amazing. I'm actually studying, now, to become a personal trainer.

Robin