PDA

View Full Version : Training surfaces !!

BIU JI
12-12-2001, 06:19 PM
As I've noticed different surfaces change your training slightly. Do you have a pereference for any particular surface?

It's good to train on different surfaces for stances, what differences do you find? e.g Grass, carpet, wood(polished/unpolished) any other trpe of surface!:)

Pakmei
12-13-2001, 04:04 AM
You need to train on all surfaces so that you can adapt to the situation at hand.

Before you even cross hands in training / sparring / fighting survey the environment that you are in.

Is the ground even or uneven? are there any pot holes around?
Is there an incline or not? Does the ground go from smooth to rough or vice versa?

Also, you can observe the elements as well... Which direction is the sun shining? Which direction is the wind blowing? If it is raining, which direction is it being driven by the wind and where is it heaviest?

Are there any steps or kerbs that you can use to off balance the opponent!

The true test of a martial artist, is the ability to use their "wit".
A fight is not just a show of strength and speed (although it helps) it is a battle of minds. Which ever person has the quickiest "wit" will win hands down.

Use the environment and elements to your advantage to over come the opponent.

Everyone can have the strongest / fastest techniques in their arsenal, however if you can't use what is around you to your advantage....then everything else becomes so much harder.

Train / spar / fight smarter rather than harder...

This has what has been drummed into my training by my Pak Mei Sifu... and it has never failed me yet.

EAZ
12-13-2001, 06:35 AM
It would seem to me appropriate above all other considerations to practice initially on hard surfaces. People who practice SOuthern styles on mats or tatami exclusively have apparently poor roots.

It is for this reason that we stamp on the ground when moving (while maintaining constant contact with ground), as a means of developing roots).

(Of course once you have enough basic training, using all kinds of surfaces is probably ok.)

BIU JI
12-13-2001, 06:35 AM
Yes , this is true . Even with multiple apponents you should be able to use anything that is present as a weapon. You're right we ought not to take for granted a smooth training surface.

What surface do you generally train on Pakmei?:cool:

Fu-Pow
12-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Both of the kung fu schools I've trained in had a concrete floor. My current kung fu school has carpeting but my old one had naked concrete. My Taiji school has a stone floor on top of wood.

My least favorite was the concrete with no carpeting. It had no give and it was really hard on the leg joints.

tomcat
12-13-2001, 07:29 PM
for a good drill try going out to a frozen pond or lake,shovel off the snow and dump a few buckets of water on the exposed ice.
Do forms ,light sparring etc. Knee pads ,elbow pads and headgear is a good idea! It's great balance training and a blast!
Take care,Tomcat

Yum Cha
12-13-2001, 07:34 PM
For all your experience and training, you should know better than to take things that don't belong to you, especially from a brother.