PDA

View Full Version : Kicking and grappling in mantis

Yung Apprentice
12-12-2001, 06:30 PM
I've heard how mantis practioners are very efficient in hand strikes.In fact many have used the word "spectacular" when describing an experienced mantis practioner. I've been very interested in mantis style for a while now,mainly because of it's versatility. I heard how they also use grappling in this style.My question is: How much emphasis do the put on grappling and kicking in mantis? How proficient are mantis practioners in these two areas? The school I'm interested in is a 7 star school. Which is the variation I've wanted to learn. Can someone give me a little description on this variation,too?

Yung Apprentice
12-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Can someone also please explain to me about meridians?

EARTH DRAGON
12-12-2001, 09:45 PM
Good question yung apprentice, although 8 step has kicking techniques not a lot of emphasis is placed on them and most kicks are focused below the waist usually to set up a better more brutal attack. you know kick low open the high target and visa versa.
As for grappling we have what is called low mantis (ground fighting) that is used when fighting from a fallen postition. It has several arm and leg locks many counters and leverage strikes and has been demonstrated and proved effective in the UFC by my kung fu brother joel sutton. he trained in 8 step praying mantis and won both bouts hands down. So if you want to use the type of reality fighing for a reference just ask any BJJ fighter or any gracie for that matter... it works well

Yung Apprentice
12-12-2001, 09:57 PM
I remember another mantis fighter.(which is why I got interested in the first place) He was real young.This is one of the earlier bouts. He eventually lost to Gracie(but this guy was real young) But his first two fights were massacres. He beat the **** out these two guys! I mean no mercy! It almost pained me to watch,almost! He was good but you could tell he needed some more experiece.He did a number on Gracie,too.But he was to eradic. Do you happen to know about meridians,or something like that?

Yung Apprentice
12-12-2001, 10:02 PM
I have a background in TKD. I did it for a couple years. I found it to be more flash than anything.It emphasised high kicks,and jump kicks and it wasn't very effective in my opinion. Does mantis have grappling in standing?Such as takedowns,throws,chokes,strangles,and locks?

Yung Apprentice
12-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Also (I hate to bombard you with questions) how do you think one mantis practioner would fair against someone who had a more kicking oriented art?Such a Mui Thai,or something similar? I know that onw ay would be to try and get inside so that you take away the kick,but what if you fought a boxer or someone really good with hands? Wouldn't it be good to kick in this situation to keep them at bay? You know sort of like take away their strengths? Excuse me, if I sound ignorant.

grifter721
12-12-2001, 11:58 PM
You want to know how Mantis does against Muay Thai and other kicking arts? Well our footwork is far superior to theirs and their hand movements arent as good. All you have to worry about is their strength. If you get into a nice middle stance and work your way around a Muay Thai dude....LATER.
Mantis is effective Young one, just keep learning and advancing you'll see.
Our footwork is superior to TKD to. I cant really explain all of it in words but you'll see.
Hopefully the Sifu who teaches you interpreted the style well and teaches well, cuz the style aint anything without a good sifu.

Yung Apprentice
12-13-2001, 12:38 AM
I didn't like the foot work in TKD. I thought it sucked(in my opinion) So what would you do against a boxer? They have great footwork and great hand attacks.Which is why I asked if wouldn't it be good to have SOME kicking in you arsenal? So you can keep your distance from him? I'm sure you can use grappling against a boxer,but you'd have to get inside. Which brings me to my earlier question of grappling in mantis. Earth Dragon told me about low mantis.Which is grappling on the ground.But what about standing? Takedowns, chokes, locks, strangles, throws, and all that good stuff.

Apprentice
12-13-2001, 12:49 AM
You got a similar name as me(i was here first! :D ) and you ask tons of questions like me...i beleive me n you may become good martial artists one day(knowledge is power)...but we both probably gotta just stop wit da B.S and just take an art, however, i dun have a job, and schools i'm interested in are in another city(but ima take 1)...i'm gonna take either hung gar or 8step mantis, both in buffalo, im leaning towards hung gar, cuz they are supposed to have "Hard Bodies"...interested me

Yung Apprentice
12-13-2001, 01:45 AM
I was about to say I'm younger, but then I checked out your profile! I thought I was the only youngen on the board! lol I'm interested in a 7 star school in my city. I didn't even know there was one till a couple dayz ago! It's not a mantis school, it's a school with different sifus there (I think thats how it's done)and there is a sifu who teaches 7 star, and Tai mantis. But yeah one guy told me about him and recommended him,and another used to train with him back in the day and said he would be and ecellent teacher! But I probably won't be able to train until I get my car.Which probably won't happen till spring or so,no later than the summer. But 7 star was the style I wanted to learn from the begining so it works out good! Which is why I'm asking all these questions right now, so I know what to expect.

grifter721
12-13-2001, 06:04 AM
7 star is a northern style and we have kicks in our system, not too many higher than the waist...... With our footwork and technique it would take a seasoned boxer/fighter to beat you.
A boxers footwork isnt that good. They are just fast. As I said, even with a boxer, once you get into a nice middle stance abuse them with x stepping..... and fake high kick low, fake low go high.
Or attack the middle open up both.
chokes are there it is just a matter of getting teh oppurtunity to use them.

mantis108
12-13-2001, 11:54 AM
Here's a link of a Taiji Praying Mantis application which I made a thread here before. Not sure if it survive the forum change. This page the follows will be quite slow to download so please be patient. Check it out and hope it will help.

TJPM Kung Lik Kuen Application (http://216.126.109.22/mantis/training/Tumbling%20Chariot.htm)

enjoy

Mantis108

Robbie
12-13-2001, 12:08 PM
Mantis is generally close range fighting, so we have lots of techs to trap and toss. Footwork is very important to set yourself up in the right position and taking out your opponents legs with kicks or sweeps.

Mantis9
12-13-2001, 03:27 PM
I think if you put some training time in with your Shifu, you will find the answers to all your questions. I remember thinking once or twice, after learning the finishing sequence to a form, that I had come to the point were I could define ther Praying Mantis "style." That was, of course, until I began learning a new form; and my eyes were opened once again.

In PM, there's kicking, grappling, simple punching, trapping, etc.
The parts are simple, but the sum of those parts will exceed your expectation of the art.

Yung Apprentice
12-13-2001, 04:54 PM
So there is grappling up top. Are there chokes and strangles and locks up top? I'm sorry for picking your brains, I just won't be able to practice till late spring. But thanx before hand!

Yung Apprentice
12-13-2001, 07:10 PM
Also does anyone have any clips or pics of Joel Sutton in the UFC. I would like to see some of his matches. Is there a video or a link?

Yung Apprentice
12-14-2001, 08:10 AM
EarthDragon do you know of any?