PDA

View Full Version : Opinons please

Shaolindynasty
11-08-2001, 12:12 AM
I would like to know what you guys would think if I started a website about MA frauds and on it I would give info about known MA frauds and scandals. Legality is not an issue with me.I know people like gossip and this would help to avoid people from getting cheated. Would this kind of site be appreciated by you guys. :confused:

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Nutt'nhunny
11-08-2001, 12:23 AM
Except that even if you post stuff about Master Iron Kim that can't be proven, your in for Libel. And how much do you want to pay He or Ashida your hard earned cash? Better to do it on here. Even if it is against federation rules

Get your ass in bed and give me some head- Abraham Lincoln

MonkeySlap Too
11-08-2001, 12:24 AM
It is a VERY slippery slope.

Check out e-budo.com, under the bad budo section. There is a great deal of debunking of JMA frauds. Funny stuff.

While I also roll my eyes at the CMD types and thier lackies, there is also point of how do you define a fraud. I know of some VIP CMA types that would not survive the scrutiny.

While I enjoy tormenting these guys online just like the next guy, you need to watch where the line becomes martial arts politics, something I have no use for.

Also - I have found that it is easier to help people fooled by these punks if you don't rub thier nose in the fact that they made a mistake by joining that group. It is a personal revelation that is hard to make. By becoming an opponent, you give the organization an 'enemy' that helps them hunker down even more.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

Waidan
11-08-2001, 12:24 AM
Could be a good resource if proper care was taken, but "black-ball" lists are inherently dangerous things, particularly when a single person is charged with deciding what is legit and what is fruadulent.

Stranger
11-08-2001, 12:25 AM
There already are sites with the same theme.

You have to be sure BEFORE you make an accusation, and be prepared for FLAK (legal and personal), as there is no way of avoiding it.

Might I ask, what your credentials are to be a "finder of frauds" in arts you may or may not personally practice? Whose word do you take? What is the research process?

I'm not busting your stones, but these are the questions you'll be hit with.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

gfhegel21
11-08-2001, 12:26 AM
It's a good idea, but there are already a couple of sites doing the same thing. You ought to join forces with them, so you don't duplicate their work.

Shaolindynasty
11-08-2001, 01:40 AM
Well, I wouldn't just pick apart anybody but carfully select the "frauds" on the site. It would probally just cover some of the more popular frauds on the web. For instance some of the guys who put themselves out there. I wouldn't just put "These guys are fake" but list their claims or whatever and put up contrary evidence. It wouldn't be based on my opinon and would be presented in a way where the reader could draw their own conclusion.

HuangKaiVun
11-08-2001, 02:19 AM
What a useless site that would be.

All of your anti-everything hype will not change the fact that kung fu TECHNIQUES are what are passed down from generation to generation.

History this, history that. In the end, it comes down to TECHNIQUE. If it's effective technique, who cares where it came from?

Keep in mind that many of those "frauds" you would crucify just might come looking to show you in combat how they're NOT fakes.

Budokan
11-08-2001, 02:20 AM
Get yourself a good lawyer first.

K. Mark Hoover

Ming the Merciless
11-08-2001, 03:04 AM
Lots of people care where their martial arts came from. If someone will lie to you about what they are teaching or who they learned from, they will probably lie to you about any number of other things as well.

Wongsifu
11-08-2001, 03:12 AM
dude i think it cwould be a good idea to do that in the sense of the way that you seem to be promoting them whlst taking the **** so you dont get in trouble. You know what i mean , like what happens on the forum with the other threads.

huang kai vin , i like your profile , I am a closed door disciple , modesty is your best trait :D :D :D

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Shaolindynasty
11-08-2001, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't use history, since most MA history is passed down by word of mouth and everyones history is different that would be useless. I also agree that what is important is technique. What this site would guard against is people who offer "degrees" ,club memberships without the proper authority and even instruction claiming to be under a specific instructor to which they didn't actually learn and claiming a paticular sect or style to which they don't belong. Of course only concrete evidence will be used. How would that be a useless site? I would think that would be a service.

Brad
11-08-2001, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I think that would be a good idea. Be careful of course. Be carefull of who you go after though. Start with Chun Moo Doe. They've allready been identified as a cult and the leader's been to prison. Other "popular" alleged frauds might be tougher, and would require a lot of detective work to gather up hard evidence. Also you have to have pretty thick skin. You'll probably get LOTS of angry emails! If you want some help you can email me :) I might be able to contribute at least 1 person to the list.

Shaolindynasty
11-08-2001, 05:08 AM
Go ahead and send me the info you have. This is a project I feel compelled to take on. I will of course need lots of help(wink wink). Like I said this site won't be created to bash other schools. Maybe by exposing some of the fakes out there people might begin to see a pattern and then they will be able to counter.

HuangKaiVun
11-08-2001, 07:00 AM
Then be prepared to fight off the litigation and challengers who would seek to prove you wrong.

You are not the Better Business Bureau.

Wongsifu
11-08-2001, 10:18 AM
i think this is actually great in the sense that there are 1000 of people who blindly follow their super-sifu's advice , which oculd only get them killed , these people if they saw what a mess they are in and what style they follow could easily be moved on the right track.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Shaolindynasty
11-08-2001, 05:05 PM
I was thinking about it some more and I think I will make it like the better business, where you call and list a complaint if you get ripped off etc. Except mine will be done through email. For instance if you go to xkungfu school and you pay hundreds of daollars to get your next rank only to find out they actually teach Kenpo then you would send an email and I would post the info and keep the sender aynonomus. Now Kenpo is not a bad art but if they claim they are teaching say Wing Chun, they are lying and are frauds. Again legal matters don't scare me and I would be putting up info that they claim, as a matter of fact with the claims made by certain people they are lucky they don't get sued. They can try and sue but I will only be putting up the truth. I will be like a journalist.