PDA

View Full Version : Training Surfaces

Pakmei
12-13-2001, 02:52 AM
You should train on all surfaces as much as possible.

This way you can easily adapt to the situation if you have to fight.

However another way of training is to also be aware of the environment that you are training / sparring / fighting in.

Take notice before you cross hands, the landscape, is it even or uneven? Does it have any pot holes? Is there an incline or not?

Does the surface go from smooth to rough or vice versa?

Are there any steps or kerbs that you can use to your advantage?

Also take notice of the weather as well..... which direction is the sun shining? Which direction is the wind blowing? Which direction is the raining being driven by the wind and where is it the heaviest.

The true test of a martial artists ability is how well he/she can employ their "wit", to be able to take advantage of the opponent.
It doesn't just fall down on how strong or how quick they can strike the opponent. :)

Thats how I have been taught by my Pak Mei Sifu.
Never just rely on just your techniques to win, take advantage of the environment around you and use it to the best of your ability.

Ginger Fist
12-16-2001, 05:30 PM
--& all conditions ... rain ... snow ... dark ... blazing hot ... early morning - late evening - twilight ... grass ... asphalt ... concrete ... all floor types - all conditions - dry - wet - sandy - waxed ... in hallways - doorways - elevators ... every condition where u live ... wear ur street clothes & shoes

Yum Cha
12-16-2001, 06:53 PM
Dave, for all your training you didn't learn not to take things that don't belong to you, and from a brother yet?

jon
12-16-2001, 07:21 PM
Actualy sparring in deep water?
Sounds kinda crazy but it can be really interesting especialy comming from a southern school. When i did it i was actualy learning Tae Kwon Do [ducks and covers] but the idea of it has stuck with me.
For a start it obviously slows down your movements and creates drag. You also gain the abilty to splash, making sight suddenly much less reliable. The other obvious loss to us southern stylists is you have no root:confused: This thows off many of our usual ways to generate power and makes you use technique in different ways. Wit certainly comes into play when fighting in deep water i tell ya;)
Anyway just curious if anyone else has tried this
btw pools half count becouse you can usualy touch the bottom.

Apprentice
12-16-2001, 11:09 PM
my pool has a 6 n a half foot end...how do ya fight in the deep end? I can't even really float, much less fight in it...if i was in the deep end, i'd kick backwards, and splash frantically so i could get to the part where i could touch the ground, or the side to get out...im paranoid as fudge when it comes to drowning...any thoughts?

Yum Cha
12-16-2001, 11:18 PM
I just watched a Jackie Chan movie where he was fighting underwater...

"First Strike" Was on the toob last weekend...

jon
12-16-2001, 11:43 PM
Is that the Jacky vs Jaws sequence:D lol thats a terrible film I havent seen it in years. Its 'apparently' Police story 4 but was called First strike over here.
Only really good thing from my memory was the use of the step ladder. Still, is Jacky - is good.

I grew up in Newcastle so im pretty accustomed to the beach and swimming in general [though have been lazy since moving to Sydney]. You have to be able to treadwater to stay on the surface otherwise you will end up pulling a crocodile effort and end up going for a death roll. You can kick, and stuff around a fair bit i found. Mind you this was years ago now...
Would be interesting to try it again. I also want to find somewhere private with surf and practice stance, waist deep in surf. If that doesnt develop my stances nothing will.
That I would recommend to anyone, we did it as a class at my kung fu's new years eve gig a couple of years ago. It really helps with the feeling of sticking into the ground. Also the surf provides a way of feeling force and how to dilute it.

Yum Cha
12-16-2001, 11:56 PM
Yep, pretty corny, thats Jackie all over! The ladder versus the staff was the highpoint.

Ginger Fist
12-17-2001, 05:08 PM
Actualy sparring in deep water? Sounds kinda crazy but it can be really interesting especialy comming from a southern school.

--dive wts. - mask - snorkel - surf & turf shoes ... it's worth doing ... not as a habit ... 4 me the summer only ... in the deep section of our pool ... 1-2 times a week works well

diego
12-17-2001, 05:19 PM
thought i'd share,gichin funakoshi in his biography it talks about he loved the rainy season when typhoons would hit he would climb up on his roof and practise stancework fighting the winds,thought that was kinda cool then you seem so excited about horse-SURFING.
g'day