PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you study at Leung Shum's school??

Leonidas
12-13-2001, 04:02 AM
Specifically in Tai Chi. I'm definitely gonna join but wanna know the students perspective. Be honest. Whats the pro's and con's. I'm gonna get my lazy a$$ to the kwoon soon, but i think, i'm gonna get in shape first since i dont think Tai Chi gives you much workout (health yes) possiblilties comparatively to other styles, not in the first months atleast? Is it a class for a bunch of old people? (geez i hope not). Anyways "hit me up".

Brett Again
12-13-2001, 06:31 AM
No, I don't study at GM Shum's school. However, he is the GM of my system, and I've been to numerous seminars held by him at our school, as well as seen him perform kung fu and tai chi.

I doubt it will be a class of "old people." He is very big on his kung fu students cross training in tai chi. He feels they are mutually enhancing.

He teaches Wu style, which you'll find is rare and quite different than Yang and Chen.

On a side note, don't wait to get in shape before starting. Why the heck would you do that? Start learning AND get in shape. No reason to put it off UNTIL you get in shape. That's just an excuse to procrastinate. ( I know... I'm the king.)

Xebsball
12-13-2001, 07:39 AM
I wanted to learn Wu Tai Chi, but down here, i mean in the whole country, there is only Yang Tai Chi and its health only oriented.

Brett Again
12-13-2001, 09:03 AM
Why is it that you would prefer to learn Wu style over Yang style.

(Just curious on your thoughts.)

Cody
12-13-2001, 11:28 AM
I've seen this teacher perform a couple of times and he looks good. I like it that he teaches both "hard" and "soft" styles. Read somewhere he has cutoff point in terms of age. After a certain age he would teach only T'ai Chi to a new student. I don't know if I remember correctly, or if so, if he still does this.

From what I have seen and read, Wu style is easier on the knees. That is of particular importance to people who have problems along those lines.

If a workout is what you want, this teacher might be able to meet your needs. See what he advises before signing up.

Cody

Xebsball
12-13-2001, 01:19 PM
Its not that i think Wu is better than Yang, what i mean is that the Yang stuff is very oriented to health and its like the schools removed the martial training from it. Also from what i've heard Wu is more small frame wich i'd like better.

Brett Again
12-13-2001, 01:23 PM
Well, as far as the "martial" aspects, I think that's dependent on school, not necessarily style.

However, you're correct abou Wu having a smaller frame feeling to it. Arms and elbows definitly appear to be held closer to the body than Yang that I've seen.

cwheelie
12-13-2001, 03:06 PM
he's my siGong & he just spent a week at our school. We spent about 3-4 hours on Saturday doing Tai Chi (which i have never done). Not only was it a good workout, but after demonstrating every move he would discuss the fighting applications & have us practice them.... And the Ying Jow seminar was great.
I'd go for it!