PDA

View Full Version : Docherty

sanchezero
12-13-2001, 11:38 AM
I have read a little about Dan Docherty's Tai Chi philosophy and would like to know if his appoach is unusual. By his approach, I more specifically mean his martial attitude and willingness to 'fight'. (This could be a total misinterpretation on my part.)

I know very little about tai chi (took a semester from a burned out hippie in school :rolleyes: ) but I am an avid ving tsun practicioner and the idea of 'tough' tai chi appeals to me.

I looked on his website and there don't seem to be any schools affiliated with him in the US, so a secondary question would be where are there good 'tough' tai chi schools in the US.

Thanks...

sanchezero
12-19-2001, 10:59 PM
So, how 'bout this...

Can anyone recommend a tai chi school that treats on tai chi as a martial art? Preferrably on the east coast?

Repulsive Monkey
12-20-2001, 06:02 AM
theres no such thing as Tough Tai Chi. If it trully goes under such a misnomer of a name like that then I would say that its probably a load of rubbish. The only Tai Chi that should ever be learnt is correct Tai Chi , simply as that really.

sanchezero
12-20-2001, 06:20 PM
I didn't mean Tough Tai Chi, the True Warrior's Kung Fu. :D

I meant tough Tai Chi, where tough is used as a brief, humorous adjective to distinguish it from the Burned Out Hippy Tai Chi I studied at school. The teacher of that class refused to admit that there was any martial application to Tai Chi.

Again, all I know about Tai Chi is from a jumble of articles/posts on the internet and browsing pulp MA books at the bookstore. :o

So, I'm just looking for a place that I can actually talk/touch hands with someone who practices Tai Chi martially.

:) Sorry, for any misintended slight...

Repulsive Monkey
12-24-2001, 03:40 AM
If someone claimed that there were no martial applications to Tai Chi then what you were learning was not Hippy Tai Chi, it just wwasn't Tai Chi at all. Anyone who teaches correct Tai Chi will teach you the fighting art, hand in hand with the healing art, and the spiritual art because all these aspects are intrinsically necessary if Mastery is required. If you just wanna learn how to fight on its own take up an external martial art. I will be outspoken here and say that Dan Docherty does not teach Tai Chi internally, however I hear he is a good fighter. Read into , take literally, read between the lines or question further or even ignore my last statement if you want but I totally stand by it. He is dismissive of the most vital parts of Tai Chi development, however I hear the Kung fu he teaches does seem to get his school medals at competitions, if thats your thing!?!

EARTH DRAGON
12-24-2001, 01:25 PM
I totally agree with repulsive monkey, The is tai chi and then their is things that kinda resemble tai chi. Unfortunatly their are many many more teachers out there who teach movements that kinda resemble tai chi. It should never be seperated from its martial side and a lot of people have done that, weather it be someone teaching at a senior citizens home or the guy down the street at the YMCA. You will have a tough time trying to find a good teacher that is willing to teach you the whole art,mostly becuse people dont know it and other reasons may be they dont want to share it, and if you are lucky enough to find one, then you will be lucky if you have the time to spend to learn. it depends on where it is that you live, but a true tai chi teacher will be hard to find.. good luck to you though and maybe tell us where you live and somebody here can help you.