PDA

View Full Version : Martial art for me

Mr T
11-08-2001, 03:09 AM
Hi, im 5'8, but i have a big frame (not fat but kinda muscular) weigh 190, i was wondering what martial art would work the best for me? and if my large frame would slow me down at all? I am interested in internal MA, but most people i see practicing this are "small people," but i could be mistaken.

Silumkid
11-08-2001, 03:12 AM
I pity the fool who think only tiny people do internal kung-fu!

Seriously though, I am 5'10" and 195 and I study an internal form. There are a couple other guys in the same classes that are way bigger than me too! Go for it!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Mr T
11-08-2001, 03:15 AM
Thx, but do u think ur size slows u down at all, or are u just as fast as the "smaller" people

Silumkid
11-08-2001, 03:21 AM
That's kind of hard to say...I haven't really bothered to do any real speed comparisons with the other students. The last time I was there, one of the other guys I train primarily in the style with did comment on my speed however, so I guess I would have to say there is no real detrimental effect.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Sharky
11-08-2001, 03:26 AM
I ain't goin on no plane!

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

SanHeChuan
11-08-2001, 09:29 AM
Just take BJJ and Mui Thai like everyone else, you'll be fine. YES, come to the DARK side, Uh I mean GO to the DARK side.

Size dosn't matter it's how you train with it ;)
No really!

===============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

Hou fa xian zhi
-start later, but reach first.

Wongsifu
11-08-2001, 10:22 AM
size is an asset not a liabiltiy !!! in any martial art :) Large people are usually a little bit slower , but its much easier to compensate and catch up to a smaller persons speed than it is for him to catch up to your level of power

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo