PDA

View Full Version : Hey hey, opinions greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

scotty1
12-14-2001, 06:31 AM
So, can you check out my new programme that I'm gonna start in the New Year? I haven't been able to go to class lately because of my chest injury, so I'm just trying to stay in shape until the New Year when I can start doing load bearing exercise again. Also, if you could bear in mind that I work full time 5 days a week and in the evenings 3 days a week.

Saturday: Bag work and technique. Body weight exercises. Horse Stance. Skipping.

Sunday: Weight training day.

Monday: resting

Tuesday: class (technique, conditioning, sparring)

Wednesday: class if couldn't attend Tuesday

Thursday: Resting

Friday: resting

Every night: Qigong

Weekly: 5 mile run.

Bear in mind also that I am basically trying to build my fitness and basic skills so that when i go training abroad in May I'm ready.
I am not interested in learning a system as I don't know what I'm going to do abroad, or where I'm going to be living when I get back.

If I feel I can do more training doing the week I will if I have the time, but this programme is designed to clear more time with my girl.
:) :rolleyes: :D ;)

Robinf
12-14-2001, 07:14 AM
What will you do on Wednesday if you do make it to class on Tuesday?

I assume your weight training day is a total body workout. I would make class two days a week (Tues and Thurs--leave your Friday nights free for you and your girlfriend)

Robin

scotty1
12-14-2001, 07:48 AM
Yeah, gotta remember I'm working 3 out of 5 weekdays, possibly Saturday. I don't feel like I have to do anything Wednesday if I make it to class Tuesday. A) I'll probably be working
and B) I'd rather rest up and see my girl

I don't want to burn myself out. Recently I've been like "Well if I'm not working, then I should be training" which has landed me with a **** load of overtraining, injury and lack of personal time. From now on, Kung Fu will not BE my life. It will continue to be a very large part of it however. But I have to take a step back. If I get too into it I get WAY TOO FAR into it, so I'd rather take it easy.

Thanks for the prompt response :)

Any other thoughts?

Robinf
12-14-2001, 09:29 AM
I hear you, Scotty.

I've recently begun a lighter approach to my training to free up some time for myself (broke up with my boyfriend--sigh).

If you're just going for over all improvement and not competition worthy, just healthy human being then your schedule looks ok--though class twice a week, I feel, would be more useful, but I take it class is only offered Tues and Wed, and if you'd like Wed for your girl, then your decision is made and it'll work well for you both mentally and physically. There's nothing that will happen on that next day in class that you won't get in the class you go to.

To me, life is for enjoying. If you're enjoying your new schedule, then that's all that really matters.

Robin

scotty1
12-14-2001, 10:07 AM
True. And if I was going in for a comp, I'd step up the cardio, and try to get some extra sparring in.

Goodnight.

shaolinboxer
12-14-2001, 01:24 PM
Looks good. Enjoy.

Here's mine:

Monday: Aikido/Genkido 6-7, 7:10-8:10, Shinkage/Muso Ryu 8:10-8:30
Tues: Aikido 6-7, 7:10-8:10, Shinkage/Muso Ryu 8:10-8:30
Weds: Lifting one hour, streching 10 min
Thurs: Aikido/Genkido 6-7, 7:10-8:10, Shinkage Ryu 8:10-8:30
Friday: Basic Aikido 6-7:30, 7:30-8:30 advanced Aikido
Saturday: lifting one hour, stretching 10 min
Sunday: eat like a pig

Ofcourse, this is idea. The fates often deem this to be unrealistic limiting me to 5 days a week, or sometimes even four. But a lot of the weapons techniques are not taught in class, require after class time and time at home for study.

IronFist
12-14-2001, 01:26 PM
You're weight training one day a week? Dude I don't think you can get an adaquate full body workout with weights if you only allot one day a week to it, but what do I know :)

Iron

ElPietro
12-17-2001, 07:21 AM
Looks like twice a week...wed and sat...shaolinboxer that must be a tough schedule to adhere to. Congrats if you can keep it up even half of the time. I don't know what your goals are but I'd make sure you are getting enough food into you with that regime. Just a suggestion anyway...

shaolinboxer
12-17-2001, 01:44 PM
The reason I don't have a problem keeping this regimine is simply that I enjoy it. It has taken me a few years of training to this point....where most workouts are pure pleasure. I only skip out on them if there is something else I would enjoy that conflicts, like a party, or if I am in a really sour mood (sometimes you just can't help it).

Twice a week lifting will work for me because I am only interested upperbody conditoning. Aikido has made my thighs and shoulders larger and my core very strong, but has made my chest, bicepts and tricepts shrink. If I were to do total body and cardio, I'd need 4 or 5 days so I could work my body in cycles.

I took off last week for hannukah, so I can't wait to get to the dojo tonight. I feel totally rejuvinated, and fat as a pig (could be that I've been eating chocolate coins for breakfast ;) ).

nospam
12-18-2001, 08:24 PM
I've recently begun a lighter approach to my training to free up some time for myself (broke up with my boyfriend--sigh).

Ok, just wait. You broke up with your boyfriend and NOW you want to free up some time? :)

Ain't relationships grand?

You ever thought of dating a martial artist, Robin?

nospam.
:cool:

Robinf
12-19-2001, 07:38 AM
I had lightened up, anyway, once the relationship started, but apparently not light enough. I think I'm realizing, as I'm getting older, that time for myself is important and fun. I was having trouble with defining myself by my workout. Now, I'm simply a defined person who works out.

Actually, I'm looking more for a "gymrat" these days. I have dated another martial artist, but the conversation always seemed to steer toward sparring, no matter how I tried to change the subject. Maybe it was just too early on in that relationship, but that got boring fast. I need a guy who isn't impressed that I workout so much and that I'm in the shape I'm in. I need to find a guy who just takes it in stride. Hard to find, but I do have a couple of good friendships in the gym I workout in. Who knows?

Robin

ElPietro
12-19-2001, 09:34 AM
Maybe try lookin elsewhere robin...I think it's a good thing to have different interests than your bf/gf. If you guys have too much in common you can get smothered by the time you spend with each other. I think for a relationship to work, you need to have a few things that you really enjoy that are just for yourself.

Plus then you can be certain that you can defeat him easily in combat if he gets out of control... ;)

Robinf
12-19-2001, 11:48 AM
:D

LEGEND
12-20-2001, 10:08 AM
A lot of this depends on your goals...if u're working on strength then spend 2x or 3x in a gym...if it's to spar and roll...then the opposite. It's up to you. what is your goal???