PDA

View Full Version : Wrist help

lordabu
12-14-2001, 02:28 PM
i posted ages ago - when i had actually broken my wrist.

Im glad to say its healed - almost.

Still a problem exists. My wrist is VERY fragile, by that i maen the slightest knock sends it into pain again for another few days. Its been over 8 months since the "accident" and its still in such a state.

Can you people recommend any sort of excerise i can do to speed up the recovery and/or strengthen my wrist. I can't do many push-ups, because they hurt. I try to do some now and then not, putting too much strain on my wrist though... and before you say that it might be the pushups that are slowing me healing - they are not, i went through a period doing no push-ups and it didn't make a difference.

Please help, this "injury" is getting frustrating :(

Lordabu

lordabu
12-14-2001, 02:29 PM
er what is up with this?

Registered 1970?? - was the internet around then - lol!
posts 39??? - i had a lot more than that!

wu_de36
12-14-2001, 02:40 PM
where did you break it? I've heard scaphoid breaks can take a very long time to heal due to the poor blood flow.

I managed to sprain my wrist a few weeks ago. started to get better until I got overconfident in my recovery and went to the heavy bag. Then back to the drawing board.

If you broke your wrist, your doc should be giving you rehab exercises to work on. do them.

EARTH DRAGON
12-14-2001, 02:55 PM
I would suggest using some topical chinese medicine like zhang gu shu or wood lock. move it to its bending degree everyday. 35 to the left and right 45 up and 90 down. while applying the medicine 3 x a day for a month

if you baby it, it will take longer so try not to strain it but at the same time try to use it for differnt things ie picking this up rotating it at night and in the morning when its stiff. I hope this helps your freind E.D

Mutant
12-14-2001, 03:31 PM
lordabu, don't fret too much, I bet your wrist can fully heal!

I broke my wrist sparring (got thrown and bounced off a wall upside down, ouch),about 5 years ago, fractured the top of the ulna on my right arm. That sucked. :(

I had doctors and kung fu people tell me that it would always be a hinderance in future training and that I would never be able to punch full power with my right arm again...
I kept training with the cast on, mostly doing doing tai chi and chi gung (looks pretty goofy with a full arm cast on)
But I recovered fully and now never even think about it unless reminded. Once in a while it aches slightly, but thats about it.

A couple months after I got my cast off, it was still bothering me so I went to see a Chinese accupuncturist, Dr. Ginger (in St.Loiuis) who learned Chinese medicine in Shanghi, where she was from. It worked!!! I felt a marked improvement after the first session and then followed up with several more sessions.

Soon after I was back to kung fu, practicing virtually all the curriculum, which I also think helped it to heal. I practiced lots of chi kung to increase the energy flow through my wrist, and practiced lots of chin na, which brought back all the flexibility (I had to start off easy with this and build up, it did hurt at first). Then back to hitting the heavy bag full power within a year. I wouldnt recommend doing puchups, especially with bent wrist (maybe on knuckles?), for a while, because that really hurts with a constant extreem angle that locks up your wrist and crimps circulation. Just do the exercises the doctor recommends and your kung fu exercises, just start gradual and build up.

Since then I've done a lot of competitive sparring and full power punching and its fine.

I hope you can have good luck recovering like i have. I would highly recommend seeing a good Chinese doctor, if you havent already. Just practice your kung fu and build it back up slowly, you will be fine.
Good luck, I totally feel for ya bro, but you can fully recover!!!
:)