PDA

View Full Version : Question about training with a partner...fast or slow?

Jeff Liboiron
12-14-2001, 04:11 PM
I was wondering when you guys train with a partner if you do the techniques slower than you would in a fight (witch would be as fast as you can). I find i like to go slower, rather than full speed, what do you think?

I'm not talking about sparring, just practicing basics

[Censored]
12-14-2001, 04:28 PM
Should practice be fast or slow? The answer is yes.

Practice too fast, you build no skill. Practice too slow, you cannot apply your skill under pressure.

old jong
12-14-2001, 04:29 PM
I think it is good to practice at a speed permitting awareness of possible mistakes and lack of body structure. If something new is practiced too fast,it may becomes a hand gesture without any focus or energy in it. I dont care if I'm hit by some flashy little punch!....It is the biggest danger of wanting to hit at all costs in chi sau.

Shadowboxer
12-14-2001, 04:57 PM
I like to train only as fast as I can perform the tech. cleanly. Any faster than this and you train bad habits. It's kind of like playing an instrument, an analogy I've used before, If you can't play scales clean slowly you won't be able to play them fast and clean. The ultimate goal being able to make music/improvise. Slow down and practice correctly and you can have blazingly fast scales without thinking much about them. You would gradually increase the tempo of your scale practice--80 beats per minute to 85, 90 95,etc. You are traing muscle memory here too.

old jong
12-14-2001, 05:04 PM
It is so true .We should practice wing chun the same as a musical instrument.;) Good point! :)

OdderMensch
12-14-2001, 06:20 PM
so i should practice till my neibor bangs on the celing for me to "stop makeing that awful racket?"

Excession
12-15-2001, 02:04 PM
Surely you should start slowly and then build up speed and power as you become more comfortable and competent with the technique? Then practice it in a full contact environment, if appropriate.