PDA

View Full Version : Sake...

Godzilla
11-08-2001, 05:32 AM
I'm a big fan of green tea. Bought a nice teapot and some loose tea leaves - enjoy it almost every day! Question: Does anyone here drink Sake? I am thinking about buying a cheap set along with some cheap Sake and enjoying a sip in the evening.

Oh yeah, after MA training as a way to wind down and relax.

Truly,
Godzilla

Nexus
11-08-2001, 05:48 AM
I like sake. I wouldn't recommend making a daily habit of it, but once a week is great. I have never felt like it is good to make a habit of drinking any type of alcohol often, although in moderation, which each person finds on their own, I see no problem!

Enjoy your sake, and by the way, what type of green tea and tea pot are you using?

I am a green tea fan myself.

- Nexus

Martial Joe
11-08-2001, 06:36 AM
What is sake for goodness sakes?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Budokan
11-08-2001, 06:40 AM
Sake (sa-kay) is rice wine.

K. Mark Hoover

Martial Joe
11-08-2001, 06:51 AM
whats it taste like?

Rice?

I invented rice tea..kinda like soup...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

WongFeHung
11-08-2001, 07:02 AM
Gekkiekan is a good standard, I have had some drier varieties, but my tastes lean towards a sweeter flavour-heck, whaddya expect from a kid who was raised on Manechewitz!? I've had some nice sake in a local rest, the bottle was wrapped in straw, I have to get the name, it was really good. Then again, Mad Dog tastes real good after the second bottle. Sake can lead to some serious trouble, however. I once, at a local sushi bar, after lining up sake carafs like bowling pins, tried uni-sea urchin. With my palate numbed from the alcohol, it tasted fine, slightly sweet, and clam-like, and creamy in texture. Ok, so far, so good...so the very next day, we're back at our hangout (and you said it shouldn't be consumed every day-HAH!) and after only two carafes (sp?)I suggested we try the uni again-it was soooo good last nite.yep. So I tasted it twice...once going down.....so it seems that without sufficient sake taken in beforehand, uni tastes kind of like that low tide, marsh gas, dried bait on the docks smell, and of course, let's not forget that creamy texture. So maybe if a baby ate old, rotted clams and had diarreah...okay, to make matters worse, my fiance' LOVES uni, and worse yet, every time she orders it she tries to get me to eat it, saying I never gave it a chance.And of course gets ****ed at me for being unsupportive(????wtf?)when I go into my usual "Uni tirade".
So remember, first, sake can and should be consumed every day, and second, stay away from the uni. my two cents-marked up to four bucks.

Lost_Disciple
11-08-2001, 10:20 AM
Okinawan sake's the only way to go in my book; too bad it's almost impossible to get here in the US- bein in NYC you'd probly have better luck.

After my last trip back home to Okinawa, and the ensuing 3 week drinking binge, I've come to the conclusion that all Japanese cuisine achieves it's highest level of delectibility when inebriated.

In other words all Japanese food tastes great when drunk. When u consider it's a nation of alcoholics- with brail bumps on the sidewalk, that aide the blind in walking down the road, as much as they keep alcoholics out of the middle of the street- it's probably not that big of a revelation.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/4_3/images/gk1.jpg
Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Wongsifu
11-08-2001, 10:30 AM
i used to drink sake befroe i quit alchohol , man its brilliant,
Martial joe , it tastes kinda like vodka but much smoother and stronger. IT doesnt have that yucky after taste to it vodka does

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Ming the Merciless
11-08-2001, 10:47 AM
I have never tried Sake, but good vodka doesn't have a bad aftertaste.

Chen
11-08-2001, 10:54 AM
My only advice, like beer, stay away from the cheaper varieties. Best enjoyed with a friend.

Enjoy.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-08-2001, 10:55 AM
MMM, MMM, MMM.

With sashimi.

Hot sake though.

It's Japanese tradition to never pour your own Sake.

Fuk Joe, Dude you'll love the Sake Bomb!
;)

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

ewallace
11-08-2001, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if it's just me but when I drink sake, I get intoxicated rather quickly, but not for very long.

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

ewallace
11-08-2001, 05:45 PM
Oh yeah, never drink it cold. It does not taste good cold.

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

halfling
11-08-2001, 06:23 PM
FINALLY!!!!!! I have some friends who I keep hearing them talk about going sake bombing. I never knew what they were talking about. Amazing, I feel so much better now. Thank you all.

Martial Joe
11-08-2001, 09:57 PM
I think sake would be best enjoyed with a pretty woman...

Badger
11-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Bunch of alcoholics!

Badger

BJJ is Superior to Mullets!G

chokeyouout2
11-08-2001, 10:39 PM
SAKE BOMB

When you'r telling one of your little stories, here's a idea; Have a point, it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

JWTAYLOR
11-08-2001, 11:26 PM
Martial Joe,
it's always better with a pretty woman, pretty drunk that is.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Godzilla
11-09-2001, 12:26 AM
Currently, I have been enjoying Spring Cherry Tea and Dragon Well Tea from The Republic of Tea. I buy the cans at Barnes and Nobel. I use my Japanese Iron teapot (very well worth the $55 I paid for it!) and sometimes my Chinese Clay teapot (Don’t like it as much. Seems to add a flavor – I understand some prefer it. Also, it’s harder to clean out the loose tea leaves.).

Anyone ever drink Japanese Plum Wine? May be an alternative to Sake.

Thanks,
Godzilla

WongFeHung
11-09-2001, 01:27 AM
I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drinker. Alcoholics go to meetings. Hey, wongsifu, you must not have been much of a drinker before you quit, sake is nothing like vodka, if anything, it would be closer to a light dry sherry. Shoju, japanese rice vodka (turbo-sake)would be closer, but still tastes like rice distillate. Sake is about 12-17% alcohol,vodka is about 40% and up. The reason it hits you warm is it absorbs quicker into the body. There are sakes that are enjoyed cold as well, but I still prefer hot. Korean shoju is awesome, like weak vodka, goes great with korean food. It comes in these little green bottles, trouble is you have to drink the whole thing-dang!

straight blast
11-09-2001, 02:34 AM
HHheeeyyyy, Shhaakee issh really good shhhtuff. Don' dirnk it when itshhh cold becaushhe it'shh gonna tashhhte like shhhit.
I sssho looove you guyshhh, no rooly, I'm not pishhed, you'sh are my bessshhh frendshhh.
I'shh gonna go lie down now becaushe the sheeling ishh kinda shpinning. Wake me up for pretshels....

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

straight blast
11-09-2001, 02:35 AM
Shhhory if you wanted a shheeriuos reply... :cool:

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Daniel Madar
11-09-2001, 02:42 AM
I prefer chilled sake myself, but if you don't live in a major city you might not find the right stuff. There is a specific classification for chilled sake.

For some reason sake never makes me drunk. At least that I notice...

Stay away from Sho Chiku Bai.

Merciless is Mercy.

MonkeySlap Too
11-09-2001, 03:00 AM
Actually, I prefer the chilled, unfiltered variety.

Sho Chiku Bai produces a range of varieties of Sake. Some are awful, but some are very good. They have a 'tasting' facility at thier factory in Berkley, CA. Nice place to visit. *hic*

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci