PDA

View Full Version : Virtua Fighter fighting styles - translations japanese/chinese

Xebsball
12-14-2001, 09:04 PM
Hey, i was checking out Virtua Fighter's fighting styles and since the game is from Japan the styles are written with japanese spelling.
I noticed someone had posted about chinese martial arts having japanese names in Japan...
Could someone translate??

Here goes:

Fighter, Style
Pai Chan, Ensei-Ken (is it a crane style?)
Lau Chan, Koen-Ken (i have no idea)
Akira, Hakkyoku-Ken (this one i know, its Baji Quan)
Shun Di, Suiken (thats Drunken style obviously)
Lion, Tourou-Ken (Mantis, but is it 7 star or other style?)

Daniel Madar
12-14-2001, 09:20 PM
Hey Xebs,

Pai and Lao's systems are their own creations. I can drag out the translation from somewhere.

Tsuru is crane, but when referring to crane fist, suichoken (white water fowl) is also used.

I'm moving to Japan soon, I think, and I've got some contacts in the game industry, so I've been thinking of going to tecmo, namco, and SEGA to interview their kakuge (fighting game) development teams.

-D

No_Know
12-14-2001, 11:33 PM
click on red character name (http://vert-x.tripod.com/chars.html)

IronFist
12-15-2001, 01:23 AM
"suiken," I think "sui" means water, like "suiyobi," right? Come on Ryu, I know you can answer this.

Suiken - water fist? But it's drunken. Oh well I dunno :)

Iron

Former castleva
12-15-2001, 01:42 AM
VF1%2 were excellent games.
What I remeber is that Sarah´s and Jacky´s fighting style was JKD!

KungFuGuy!
12-15-2001, 02:26 AM
They say their style is JKD, but I don't think it is.
I went to a site to read up on VF 4, and I noticed that they cut that big sumo wrestler from VF3. What's up with that! They added a new japanese girl, what style does she fight with? The official site is written in japanese so I couldn't read their descriptions. Another new character is a shaolin monk, he looks like he'll be fun. No one could beat me in VF2 when I used kage. My old dojo had a VF2 tournement (seriously!) and I won it using him.

straight blast
12-15-2001, 04:45 AM
Virtua Fighter 2 kept me sane. For almost two years my best bud & I used to play it for at least a couple of hours 5 days a week while my wife (then girlfriend) was at work. I played Lion & Wolf. He played Lau & Shun Di. We would set the damage to unlimited and just fight for hours. Needless to say, we got pretty good at it. And then came the day of great joy.
I have a friend who is excellent at video games. Total f**king nerd, but can play the ass off anyone on any computer game. For at least two years I dreamed of punching the s**t out of him as he defeated me in Street Fighter (any variation) with his feet and the controller upside down. Every one of my mates hated him because they couldn't beat him. So he got a great big ego.

Pride cometh before the fall

And so it came that he challenged my friend and myself to a match or two of Virtua Fighter 2. He believed himself invincible, and set out to teach us a lesson. At a party, in front of several people. The first match my friend easily defeated him. Then I fought him. Once again, a near perfect result. More people came near to see what the source of all the noise was. Match after match, character after character we fought. After a while, we got cruel, and defeated him without kicking for example, or no countermoves. In a fury he cast down his controller, and stormed out into the night and to his car, swearing and humiliated. For near on thirty minutes we had humbled him, humiliated him, and popped the large bubble of his ego. He had not defeated us once.
It was truly one of the happiest moments of my life. . It was worth every beating we had copped before. Or training had paid off. At last, we were masters.
He has never challenged us again at any game.

VF2 rulz!

Xebsball
12-15-2001, 05:34 AM
LOL, great story man.

The most skilled game fighting people i know are me and my brother, but we are not training right now. I'm thinking of buying a PS2 to play VF4. Xbox and Gamecube are too **** expensive.

I taught Pai could be crane becouse one of her winning poses is crane sort of like Karate Kid.

Indeed, Sarah and Jacky are JKD, its not really Jun Fan Kickboxing, but its got a JKD feeling.

Too bad i never played VF3 :(
They did remove the sumo guy on VF4 and added Lei Fei (shaolin monk) and Vanessa (vale tudo girl, i think she is brazilian). The japanese girl must be Aoi, she was added in VF3, her style is Aiki Jujutsu.

Xebsball
12-15-2001, 05:36 AM
BTW, in VF2 my favourite move is a shuai jiao throw that Lau does, press Back + Punch :D

Kristoffer
12-15-2001, 12:26 PM
What is Shuai Shiao in japanese..? And *drumroll*

"KUNG FU"???

jun_erh
12-15-2001, 04:21 PM
they had a tekken 4 tournament near where I live today. I don't know that one, it seems to complicated. It was a total testoserone overload, the kids would lose then clown around doing all this stupid karate stuff to each other. All male obviously. I love virtua fighter 3. Shun Di is my favorite character, I also like Pai Chan and Lau. Karate champ was the **** "(muffled voice)full point"

KungFuGuy!
12-15-2001, 09:50 PM
Straight blast, you could be a worthy opponent. I'll be sure to look you up the next time I'm in Australia.

straight blast
12-15-2001, 09:58 PM
VF3 was totally lame. The characters were all drawn like they were feminine supermodels. Yes, even Jeffry. The gameplay was lame, and the frame rate seemed to be about 5 per second. It was sh**t. You didn't miss anything.
KFG, I must beging training again to uphold the honor of my clan! I've been playing Tekken Tag on my PS2 and I have a s**tload of trouble going back to pressing a button to block, as opposed to Tekken's "pull back" method. But it might be worth the effort :D

KungFuGuy!
12-15-2001, 10:07 PM
I've been playing a lot of soul caliber on the dreamcast, so I too am out of practice. I won't be in australia for another 7 months, so we have plenty of time to practice :D
If you didn't like VF3 for those reasons, I guess you'll hate VF4.

straight blast
12-15-2001, 10:16 PM
Please don't tell me that VF4 sucks! I so don't need to hear that. It has to be better than VF3. I can even overlook the effeminate appearances if the gameplay is good.
I suck at Soul Caliber though.

KungFuGuy!
12-16-2001, 01:52 AM
Well the gameplay is very smooth, but the characters look similar to the arcade version of VF3, which I think is excellent. I think the monk may replace kage as my new favourite character :)
Soul Calibur isn't as skill testing as the virtua fighters, a button masher can often be successful against someone who has practiced.

straight blast
12-16-2001, 02:16 AM
I'd love to see them do a Wing Chun fighter. It'd be interesting to play a character who doesn't have a great deal of long range attacks. Instead they could give the fighter things like guard breakers, chain punches, and lots of counters.

I suppose a fireball is out of the question?

Actually the thing I like most about the VF games (aside from the awesome playability) is that they don't have the magic fireballs and crap. I much prefer straight punching someone (a'la Lau) to launching fireballs at them. Though I have to admit that Kage's headfirst dive into a downed opponent is the most unrealistic move in the entire game. That boy's in for some serious neck arthritic pain in a few years!

When I was training Muay Thai I always played Bruce Irving (the Thai boxer...duh) 'cos I actually tried to play him similar to the way I fight (or would like to!). I'd love to give a Wing Chun fighter a go...

And if we wanted a major s**tfight they could call him Emin Boztepe, and the P2 Wing Chunner William Cheung!!!
That would be a fight that would just go on. The two of them would fight without you even having to touch the control :D :D :D