PDA

View Full Version : Baji stomping on an injured ankle?

Mr. Nemo
12-14-2001, 09:43 PM
Last thursday I sprained my ankle pretty bad. It's mostly healed by now, but if I try to go down stairs fast or run on pavement or any other hard surface, I still get some pain there. The ankle doesn't feel like its totally recovered, but I'm not limping or anything.

My baji class is tomorrow, and smart money says there will be stomping involved (there always is). If you've ever seen people practice baji, you know what I mean. Should I go, or wait? I'm worried I might mess up my ankle again, there's not much pain but if I put a lot of stress on it I feel like it might just give out, it's not 100% yet.

12-14-2001, 09:47 PM
What does your sifu think?

My sifu would say "Heal first, train later".

Mr. Nemo
12-14-2001, 10:13 PM
I haven't seen my sifu since I sprained it (I didn't go to class last week, as I was definately in no condition to train).

Johnny Hot Shot
12-14-2001, 10:26 PM
Dude I spraned my ankle over a year ago and trained just a few days later and kept training. It took several months for my ankle to heal. My advice is to wait untill your ankle is at least 95%. You'll be joensing to train for the entire time but trust me it's worth it in the end , insted of training gimped for the next 6 months.

Good luck and get better soon.

Aramus
12-14-2001, 10:38 PM
Ankle's can be tough to heal depending on what you did. How did you hurt it? Have you seen a doctor? Did you ice it? Did the swelling go down (did it swell)?

Here is an unhappy story. My brother wrecked his ankle playing basketball. He tore a tendon which tore off a bone. This all healed, although the bone healed back kinda of jagged. However, he still had trouble. He went to an orthopedic specializing in ankles and something else. It turns out he hurt....ahh, something else that needed to be operated on to repair, and just as an added bonus they "filed" down the jagged bone. OUCH!

I hurt my ankle. I went to the doctor. He said it would never be the same, go to thearpy and wear this brace. He also said I would be prone to doing it again and againI went to thearpy and a chiropractor. When the chiropractor made the adjustment, my ankle lost the swelling (almost fully that day). I had to work on a wobble board to retrain my ankle so it knows how to balance (reteach my nervous system to balance). My ankle is almost as good as new. But I had to retrain it, ice it, and have some one adjust it so it healed back correctly right away, rather than let it heal wrong and then rehabilitate it.

If you haven't, go see a doctor, chiroprator or TCM, if you are unsure of yourself around stairs and such. REHABILITATE it, don't just wait for it to heal. Help yourself not get more sprained ankles.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Mr. Nemo
12-14-2001, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It wasn't that bad a sprain. I did go to a doctor, he iced it and gave me a brace, which I wore for six days. I'm supposed to see him again tomorrow - I think the smart thing is probably to wait until he gives me the ok.

I'm worried he'll tell me to give it another week before training; doctors are often overly cautious about this sort of thing, but it's probably better that than the other way round. The doctor said that there was no reason to believe it wouldn't heal correctly, but that I should come back anyway.

SevenStar
12-14-2001, 11:34 PM
listen to the doc. Better stay off it for one more week, than to stomp on it, make it worse, and have to stay off of it for another week or longer.

Xebsball
12-15-2001, 05:43 AM
Maybe you should go and ask your sifu, if he is experienced he will tell if you can or not train. Or maybe he will tell you to do other stuff like Qigong instead of regular training.

diego
12-15-2001, 05:59 AM
who posted that story how his knee became infected and he sidekicked then the **** popped?? i screwed my ankle and buddy was speaking on fluids building so im hella curious,you were in that thread??im sure you remember i aint checking your archive,go play somewhere im busy,ohya on-topic what you feel about ghost-bpw,im hella syked for tuesday new-wu ssuuuuu

count
12-15-2001, 06:26 AM
If I were you Mr. Nemo, I would go to class. Knowing your teacher the way I do ;) I'm sure he can give you some healing advice and some treatment that your doctor isn't even aware of. Just don't stomp, there is plenty of other training you can do. BTW, after watching the Baji training over the last 20 years, I don't think they stomp at all. More of a drop than a stomp. But what do I know, I'm a bagua man:D

SevenStar
12-15-2001, 04:54 PM
No doubt, I'd agree with the light training also, dunno If I'd do the heavy stomping/dropping though. I'd steer clear till I was sure. Count, where you been man? You and Nemo know eachother?

Diego - I remember the thread, but not who posted it though. And yeah, I think ghost is on point. I heard the Wu has several new projects in the works...

count
12-15-2001, 06:14 PM
Thanks for asking SevenStar,
I've been around. I hang with the internal board mostly and even than less often than in the past. But I still keep up with all these entertaining KFO threads. Yes, Mr. Nemo is one of my KF brothers although he recently defected from the Bagua group to try out some Baji. :rolleyes: BTW, Mr. Nemo, no class until after January 1 so don't worry about your ankle.:D

diego
12-15-2001, 06:17 PM
new p r ojects!!!???

hit up the HIPHOP thread.pz

diego
12-15-2001, 06:26 PM
is baji stomping/dropping similar to hsing yi.Do you guys know what other styles are heavy in stomping when doing hand techniques,i read in sunlutangs book when he was 50 at a demo he only performed the basic hsingyi set;everyone else performing did thier most intricate steps.when sun moved the bleachers were hush and when he stomped it was most audible or something like that.

my style is a mixture of what one man learnt and devised for some students before he was killed and they built off it.kajukenbo/hopgar with a mixture of mantis and i think internal elements"im not sure if hopgar has internal strikes-but we have lots of pakua footwork in the sets plus we use this stamping punch to the bladder or kidney areas,wich reminds me more of hsingyi and taichi then what i have seen in hunggar wich is similar to hopgar in its externality of technique.

Y'ah ciuld you give me a description of the principles of stomping when striking,from stances such as sidebow,bow,cat,horse,twist etc.Could you please enlighten me to what you mean by dropping.
thanks

count
12-15-2001, 07:04 PM
Well, there are others in the forum who could give better explainations of Baji than I. I have a minimum of Baji and less Hsing-I. (Comon' out you guys, Gung Bao Lo, RAF):D In my early days way back when I used to practice Northern Shaolin, there was a fair amount of this kind of stomping. The impact sounds the same but Baji just seems so much more powerful. Actually, I would think different from other styles. In high levels of Baji, the stomp is supposed to be silent, yet Grandmaster Liu used to break the concrete beneath his feet. Although, I guess the concept might be similiar in that you are compacting power and than exploading it. It's all about power released in all directions from the Dan Tien. I know a photo cannot do this justice since there is so much movement in this kind of power issuing, but here is a couple good baji shots of my teacher. Sorry the board doesn't allow picture posts anymore, just click the link.
http://kabooom.com/images/baji.jpg

diego
12-15-2001, 07:14 PM
to historical articles on baji,i have read a few in kfmag.
If you can get other posters to build on the intricacies(sp??)
within stomping,most definatly that would be sweet.

diego
12-15-2001, 07:15 PM
pz.

count
12-15-2001, 08:09 PM
BajiMen.com (http://bajimen.com/)

Wutang Center (http://www.wutangcenter.com)

Those should keep you busy for a while;)

Mr. Nemo
12-15-2001, 10:25 PM
Well, count, you were too late - I left this morning before checking the forum. I spent most of the morning helping my friend in Whittier move, humping about a zillion cardboard boxes up three flights of stairs - in retrospect, baji class would have been much more enjoyable.

By the way, I think Lee Su-Wen is the one who broke concrete when he "stomped"(there's really no better word to describe it), not Grandmaster Liu. At least Lee Su-Wen once broke the tiles at a warlord's house giving a demonstration, maybe Grandmaster Liu broke concrete sometime too.

At high levels of baji, as I understand it, you don't stomp at all - you just drop the weight into the foot. The stomping is to get you in the habit of decisively shifting your weight as you issue power (for a strike, throw, whatever). You only stomp in training, not when you fight.

baji-fist
12-15-2001, 10:25 PM
Hello all! Its been a while since I posted. But in regards to Mr.Nemo's post, I think it would be best you rest for a while. Your body needs to heal before you start training in Bajiquan again. Also when you do practice Bajiquan, I would not focus on stomping hard so much. What I do, when I practice Xiao Baji, I focus more on sinking my weight rather than trying to make a loud stomp. Actually, Xiao Baji is the best training to do after you recooperate from your injury. But resting it is a good idea.

Count,

Long time no hear man! I haven't been able to post since I started my new job with a local bank here in Anchorage. Also I just graduated from college! How about you? How is the training coming along? I hope you can make it at Yang Sifu's tournament next year. Sifu said there are no excuses for us next year...hehehehe! I will be competing in Bajiquan division for sure next year. Anyway, just wanted to greet everybody on the board! Payce!

count
12-16-2001, 06:08 AM
Mr. Nemo,
Yes, you missed the last class of the year. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...:o Shifu told us all the secret to Gong Bao Tien's flying ability and the ONE secret that makes everything work. Too bad, now you'll have to wait until next year.:D BTW, Grandmaster Liu learned his Baji from "Magic Spear Li" Shu Wen. He has also been know to break concrete with his Baji.

Baji Fist, I almost didn't recognize you. Back to your original screen name again. Great to hear from you. If we don't go to China this year, I probably will get back to Ohio for the Wu Tang tournament again. We had a great time at the last one. Maybe some of the "Baji sissies" from our group will make it this time too.:D Look out for a surprise in the bagua weapons division. I have some big plans;)
Congrats on the graduation. Hope your Baji is keeping you warm in "the great white north."

Thanks for explaination stumblefist. That's what I meant.;) Even though I only spent a short time with Baji, I always understood the difference. BTW. somebody else on the forum suggested you might have some knowledge about Wu Tang in Taiwan. I'm not sure why but if it's true could you drop me a line or PM?