PDA

View Full Version : M o t i v a t i o n

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 05:02 AM
What do you guys use as motivation, to drag your ass to the kwoon, to force yourself to practise at home, to force another to reps of tricep curls?

I know this is an old topic, but Christmas is coming and Mr.DelicateSound is getting as fat as the proverbial goose.
(Not really but my fitness is wiped-out)

I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from this seasonal laziness, any advice?

diego
12-15-2001, 05:11 AM
&Girls in the summer
JUST DO IT CHECK YOURSELF LIKE THAT NIKE LOGO.:D

diego
12-15-2001, 05:13 AM
"TM"...MC&BBOY MR.Wiggles-rsc!!'rocksteady crew)..
pz

diego
12-15-2001, 05:29 AM
--never said that ... i disagree with ur pads approach & u cop an attitude ... u r a sissy boy looking 4 validation 4 ur approach

MAN OH MAN SISSY-BOY THATS A GREAT TERM GIN'G BABE YOUR GREAT BIG SHOUTS TO GILLI AND THE SKIPPER TWO WTF
PZ

Xebsball
12-15-2001, 05:47 AM
Behave diego :)

To me training is fun, i think...

xiong
12-15-2001, 06:47 AM
I too am suffering from a slight lack of motivation in my training. For me it comes with distractions from work and family obligations.

I try to motivate myself in a couple of ways. First, to remind myself that I am cheating myself by not training or pushing myself a little harder. And second, I would like to teach children the benefits of martial arts, to help get into the habit of a healthy lifestyle so I think about how I would be cheating them if I didn't train hard.

I hope this helps. I would also like to here the motivational tips of others.

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 08:24 AM
I generally try to do a little each day. Just a comprehensive workout each night which takes less than 1hr. Problem is, its easier to say this than to actually make the time.

Although I now try to fit little bits of training in with other things. e.g. I never sit down whilst on the PC. Instead I squat into a horse stance, and see how long I can hold it. As soon as it hurts so bad I can't walk without looking like John Wayne, I let myself sit down for 5 mins.

If I have to do an assignment which requires reading something and then writing a report, I'll do the reading part whilst doing some leg stretches, stuff like that.

As for the actual m o t i v a t i o n to train. I have no idea.

Just my 2 pence

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 08:28 AM
Sometimes I just look at this HUGE (and I mean HUGE) guy I know, who can barely tie his shoelaces, and I think to myself:

"Do I really want to look like that"

This usually makes me run to the next session, arriving 2hrs early so I can do extra, doing twice the amount of reps as everyone else, asking for harder hits on the body conditioning, and then rewarding myself with a chocolate eclair, under the pretence that I'll eat healthy tomorrow.

Xebsball
12-15-2001, 09:42 AM
Maybe its becose its winter where you guys live, here its summer now. Anyway, what i mean is that on winter the number of people in class drops to half.

neptunesfall
12-15-2001, 09:48 AM
i don't rely on motivation to get me to work out.
i have a set schedule for working out, and i make sure to fulfill that schedule.
what i want or feel like doing doesn't matter much.
make it a conscious decision to workout every day or every other day, make it a schedule.
it takes about 30 or so days to attain a habit.
stick to your schedule for that long and you won't even have to think about it any more.

Kristoffer
12-15-2001, 12:30 PM
The guys who gives me **** the day after the ONE training I *hrm* 'missed' :rolleyes:
I think I just want to stay fit, and the fact that Im off to China next summer. I want to be at my best. Everyday.

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 02:27 PM
You off to China! Man you are one lucky SOB!

But I also get the **** of my mates and my Sifu. Sometimes it hurts man... like I've betrayed the whole team (sniff).......

SevenStar
12-15-2001, 04:47 PM
I know this girl, who in addition to being fine as he11, is an excellent MA - She can massacre most of the guys I know when It comes to standup - and just last night we were talking about the same thing. She was saying whenever you get into a slump, or begin to lose motivation, just look back at where you used to be and where you are now. Look at how far you've come along since you started training, and renew your motivation from that.

As for me, I just do it. I don't feel right if I don't. When I slack off from training, my body feels bad. My mind is affected too. The last time I slacked off, I had a recurring dream that I was fighting this guy. Every time I had this dream, I lost the fight. My strikes were ineffective - I couldn't phase him. When I started training again, I still had the dreams. I still wasn't winning, but i was continually doing better against him. After I had been back in training for awhile, I had the dream again, and I dominated the guy. Strange, huh?

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 04:54 PM
I do the comparison thing with everything. Just today, I looked back at how much my guitar playing had improved, after seeing an old video of me playing, and D A M N, I am getting GOOD these days!! :)

I do the same with MA too, I used to have the most f u c k awful side kick in the world - after a few weeks of intensive work I got a lot better, esp. off my weaker left leg.

So yeah, that helps too.