PDA

View Full Version : I do have some questions on JKD.

Former castleva
12-15-2001, 06:03 AM
Does JKD have defenses? I know it is an offensive art,but what if an opponent strikes first?
I would also like to know if you know where to get movie files or pictures of JKD techniques.

SifuLMDII
12-15-2001, 08:32 AM
Hello Former!

Yes, Jeet Kune Do does have defenses. We prefer what is referred to as lin sil die dar, which is simultaneous defense and attack. In this way, no time is wasted! The most common methods of lin sil die dar are sliding leverage striking (also known as bridging or "cutting into the tool"), where the attack is the defense, and the four corners. The most basic four corner lin sil die dar movements are:

Bil Da - Bil sao with hit. (Inside High Corner)
Tan Da - Tan sao with hit. (Inside High Corner)
Woang Pak Da - Cross slap parry with hit. (Outside High Corner)
Ouy Ha Pak Da - Outside low slap cover with hit. (Outside Low Corner)
Loy Ha Pak Da - Inside low slap cover with hit. (Inside Low Corner)
Goang Da - Downward circling outer wrist parry with hit. (Inside Low Corner)

Whenever possible, the interception is the preferred method of defense when an opponent initiates the attack. It is best to intercept on intention, but this is not always possible and requires a higher skill level! The interception can be a hand strike or a kick, based on the movement initiated by the opponent. We have a principle that we apply that is referred to as "longest weapon to nearest target". Prime examples of this would be a side kick to the opponent's knee or a finger jab to the opponent's eyes.

For photos of Jeet Kune Do techniques, please visit my website at http://www.jffaa.8m.com and also watch for my future website http://www.HardcoreJKD.com . The Hardcore Jeet Kune Do website will have videos and photographs of Jeet Kune Do techniques. It should be up within the next few weeks! I hope this has been helpful to you! Good luck with your training! :)

Former castleva
12-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Thanks a lot sifu!
Good luck for you too.

SifuLMDII
12-16-2001, 03:38 PM
Hello sui-fuw,

Yes, I do know Taky Kimura personally! He is a wonderful man! I also know his son Andrew, who is also thoroughly dedicated to Bruce Lee's teachings as well!

I do not currently have any Chinese students in my classes in Birmingham, but worldwide I have quite a few! I have in the past had several Chinese students in my local classes, but they have moved away to other cities. Most of them were college students at the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Yes, Bruce Lee closed the formal schools before he passed away! This was due to the fact that he could no longer exert the quality control over things that he would like to! As his career got more involved with acting, he had less time to devote to the operation of his schools! He did allow his assistant instructors, Taky Kimura, James Lee and Dan Inosanto to continue to operate informal training groups, even after the formal locations were closed.

CannonFist
12-18-2001, 03:20 AM
The Jun Fan methods of JKD uses "lin siu dai dar" as one of its methods of defense.

However in the JKD Kali/Silat methods from Dan Inosanto, there is a certain emphasis in the "gunting" (meaning scissors in Malay or certain dialects of Filipino) methods. This is where the opponents attacking limbs are attacked in a scissor like motion while evading. Prime targets of the attacking limbs are the biceps.