PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a Martial Arts Tournament!!!

Merryprankster
12-15-2001, 04:59 PM
I dig these rules!

I would allow greater time on the ground, instead instituting a standup for inactivity but I'm biased. NICE set of rules, and the way things SHOULD be!

I'd also allow punching to the face, and no face guard.

Ok. Maybe HEAD GEAR, but not a face guard.

http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/rule.htm

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 05:10 PM
""attacks to the groin with a fist or open hand are allowed"

If ANY mofo tries the ancient art of CUPPING, I am OUT OF THERE!

Merryprankster
12-15-2001, 05:49 PM
Hey, just so long as they don't use Monkey Checks the Oil I'm happy! :)

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 05:52 PM
Or "Schlong Style Kung Fu". That one really puts me off.

NorthernMantis
12-15-2001, 05:53 PM
"Competitors must wear a traditional Karate Gi"

I don't know about that... I'm not wearing a karate gi.Sorry, but I've been asked if I do karaaddee so many times I detest the idea of wearing a gi.No offense to anyone who wears them

DelicateSound
12-15-2001, 05:55 PM
Like Scotsmen, it's what they wear UNDER the gi that I'm worried about. The rules don't object to Shotothong style do they!!

neptunesfall
12-15-2001, 06:55 PM
now this is a tourney i like and would compete in.... :D

Merryprankster
12-15-2001, 07:14 PM
The only point of a gi is to simulate clothing, I think. Nobody wants to wreck their real clothes, and they don't want people to wear fight shorts. Besides, I bet it's a judogi anyway. Most karate gi's can't take the abuse of grappling.

Think of it that way and maybe you'll feel better

NorthernMantis
12-15-2001, 07:37 PM
Judo gi aahhhhhh that feels a lot better :D

Kristoffer
12-16-2001, 04:13 AM
I wear Shuai Shiao jacket wich could be compared to a Judo gi. No problems..
It seems cool.

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 07:32 AM
Those Judogi's can CHAFE! I sill have burn marks on my back from when I used to compete. Ouch!

Merryprankster
12-16-2001, 10:13 AM
What, nobody likes these rules? I think they're great! Wouldn't you like to compete in this event?

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 10:18 AM
As a Mixed Martial Arts Tournament, they are much fairer than most. Most MMAT's have ****ty striking rules (no strikes to head, groin, solar plexus, kidneys etc.) this one would reward strikers a bit more. Which is good. Cause it'd show those pansy assed BJJ guys a thing or two!

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 10:21 AM
That sounds good. Let's put Royce Gracie up against Billy "The Gypsy Prince" Cribb and see who comes out on top. Or more likely, which one is still breathing. My money ain't on Roycey.

Merryprankster
12-16-2001, 10:33 AM
Delicate,

Would you like me to drone on about the ****ty list of anti-grappling rules as well? :)

The fact is, the rules are just as biased against grapplers.

Lastly, Royce Gracie has fought no-time limit no weight class matches with the following rules: No biting, no fish-hooking, no eye-gouges (eye-pokes were legal to my knowledge). Everything else was legal. I wouldn't bet too much against him. He's a tough cookie.

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 10:40 AM
Seems I've rumbled a BJJ man! And a US Coast Guard, all that govt. power on his side EEK! :)

I was kidding on the Royce Gracie thing, so many people on this forum have their tongues between his buttcheeks I thought I'd just stir some s h i t. No offense intended.

And I'm also a grappler myself; as well as my LauGar I'm a Judo man (don't laugh), so I know how bad the rules can be against certain techs.

On the Gracie Vs Cribb issue though. Come on man, that guy is a f*cking ANIMAL. The whole fight on the French ferry, with the vomiting, if he can cope with that, Jesus f*cking Christ!

Merryprankster
12-16-2001, 11:06 AM
Hey, post a link. I don't know anything about what you are discussing.

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 11:17 AM
I'll have to find one. I've just read the guys book, that's all.

Billy Cribb is a guy who was born a gypsy, became a bare knuckle fighter, and worked his way from Dover, to France to Las Vegas.

The ferry story is that he once fought a guy on a ferry, I think to pay for passage to Paris. It was in a storm and the guys were both sea sick. Mr.Cribb used that to his advantage, I'm sure you can imagine. I won't describe it, but try and read his book "The Tarmac Warrior", it's a good reality-style read, and all true.

Merryprankster
12-16-2001, 11:43 AM
How do we know it's all true?

Newspaper articles? Corroborated reports from 3rd parties not affiliated with him?

You'll appreciate my skepticism I hope :) No insult intended.

DelicateSound
12-16-2001, 12:27 PM
I do understand your scepticism on the matter. But It's 100% true. I've seen many articles on it (one in a latest FHM) and read the guys book. If you can get the British Nov issue of FHM it has one HUGE article.

Also there are many photos of his fights, a few captured on video, most of which are sickening to look at.

As for the guy now, he became a stand-up comedian of all things.

His book is published by Mainstream publishing. He fought loads in the States, esp. in the New York Underground fighting scene, so it should be out over there. If not I can try and find an ISBN number for it if you like.

zen_celt
12-16-2001, 01:31 PM
I like the tournament. After more training time under my belt, I'd think about competing. I don't know much about grappling so I won't comment on the time constraints but I would like them to allow punches to the head on the ground. I don't see why they wouldn't. I also like the lack of weight classes(even though I am a smaller guy). The head gear makes sense but I'd lose the plastic covering for a tournament.

I was checking out the site, though, and the pres. looks pretty freakin powerful(and good)!
-ZC

Merryprankster
12-16-2001, 02:23 PM
Well,

It takes a little longer than 30 seconds on the ground sometimes :)

That's about all I'll get into. It's just a bit annoying. I think; you take it there, it stays there, unless somebody can get up or you want to let the opponent up. Or you get at least a minute and a half. Either way.

SevenStar
12-16-2001, 02:26 PM
Sounds like a prety nice set of rules. I'd fight in it. I don't even mind the face guard thing. That can be a big help for those of us that work in a professional environment and have to explain why we are coming to work with a black eye, fat lip, etc. I always hear the same thing from co workers: :The wife got pi§§ed at ya agin, huh?"

The thing I do have a problem with is that "for safety resons" face contact while on the ground is simulated. wtf is up with that? is the guy supposed to pretend like ke's being hit or something?

jimmy23
12-16-2001, 07:15 PM
I dont like these rules too much, I hate face protectors also