PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get Bagua

Water Dragon
12-15-2001, 05:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I find the system intriguing. I just don't get it. My teacher had me learn an elementary Qigong set once, and it just phucked me up. I couldn't make my body go where it was supposed to, much less make it any where close to practical. How do you guys do it? :confused:

count
12-15-2001, 06:21 PM
Where is your body supposed to go?

dedalus
12-15-2001, 10:56 PM
I think bagua feels wierd to everyone at first, but taiji people especially seem to have trouble moving their body this way... bagua breaks alot of taiji "rules" :D

Braden
12-16-2001, 01:03 AM
Relax. Practice. Stretch. Relax. Sweat. And visit a teacher regularly who can point out how poorly you're doing it just when you're starting to think it's ok! ;)

Chris McKinley
12-16-2001, 01:12 AM
****** Braden, you gave away the secret formula to the whole world! Now everyone will be walking the circle!

Water Dragon
12-16-2001, 08:40 AM
Don't worry guys, I'm not even gonna atempt Bagua. This set, I had to kick my foot one way, my arms went in the other, my waist had to go in the same direction as my feet, but my shoulder had to go in the same way as my arms, then I had to use that wind up to spin int a front stnce with my head between my arms (open window stare at moon) I actually fell down the first time I tried that one. LOL @ me :D

beaudacious
12-16-2001, 11:20 AM
it all depends on the teacher and the system. there is such a wide array of systems and teaching it sound like you only looked at one method and expected that to be the end all of ba gua. I also feel if ba gua is not going to be your specialty you should see many aspects of the art to see which you would like to blend with your already exixting practice. See other teachhers and systems as well

David Jamieson
12-17-2001, 01:22 AM
well, to quote -David Lo Pan- from the movie "big Trouble in Little China"

"Jaclk Burton, you must understand that we were not put here to get it"

hahahaha, I still laugh everytime he says that :D

Pa Kua is an interesting art to say the least and makes use and gives use of very highly refined principles to chinese martial arts.

It is fluid and powerful as well as economical and effective. It uses a lot of natural energy concepts to bring fruition to it's practice.

I don't think i breaks rules of tai chi, I think it shares a lot with tai chi and hsing i as well as with shaolin kung fu and it's many families. it's all a big ball of goodness.

where the mind goes, the chi follows, where the eye goes, the hand follows. where the chi goes the mind follows and where the hand goes the eye follows.

peace

cagey_vet
12-19-2001, 04:01 PM
NOT! :) if thats the pervasive line of thought, then
its no wonder why people arent getting it !

NafAnal
12-19-2001, 06:31 PM
If you read that internal arts book by B K frantzis he think ba gua is the most complex and ultimately effective of the three arts.... What do you lot think?

Mr. Nemo
12-19-2001, 07:19 PM
Bagua breaks a lot of Yang tai chi's structural principles (at least, as I was taught them), with all of its twisting. I understand chen tai chi puts more emphasis on chan ssu jin, and is more compatible with bagua.

It's a very hard style to wrap your mind around. Growing up in the US, you and I tend to naturally think of fighting as punching, kicking, and wrestling (generally), but in bagua the line between those three categories is very blurry, and there are plenty of tactics that you won't find in any of the three.

"I couldn't make my body go where it was supposed to, much less make it any where close to practical. How do you guys do it?"

Drill the basics. After you've done a few million basics, the movements will seem more natural and make more sense.

maoshan
12-19-2001, 11:40 PM
Ba-Gua is not for everyone

NafAnal

I agree with Kumar on this one, and to add that all of the teachers that I've trained with feel the same.

Peace
Maoshan

Brett Again
12-20-2001, 06:50 AM
well, to quote -David Lo Pan- from the movie "big Trouble in Little China"

I have found that all the secrets of martial arts and of life can be gleaned from extensive studying of "Big Trouble in Little China."

Well... and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" of course.

Water Dragon
12-20-2001, 07:44 AM
If you read that internal arts book by B K frantzis he think ba gua is the most complex and ultimately effective of the three arts.... What do you lot think?

I agree with Kumar on this one, and to add that all of the teachers that I've trained with feel the same.

I kinda think that Taiji is more sophisticated and advanced than Bagua. Probably because I've studied it more and got deeper into the system.

I think the hardcore Xing I guys will say the same of their art.

NafAnal
12-20-2001, 07:49 AM
very true waterdragon....