PDA

View Full Version : Attention SifuLMDII

straight blast
12-16-2001, 04:53 AM
Hey Sifu, just a few questions. I've read a lot of magazines with articles about you & JKD and feel that you could probably answer them. So here goes.

I've always been really interested in JKD, and always intended to practise when I move to the city until recently I was diagnosed with a deformity in my hip that is impact sensitive. I have never been able to increase my flexibility in the "splits" kind of stretch which is also due to this deformity. I have had to quit Muay Thai for the reason that the impact of constant full power kicking and the winding, sawing motion of the roundkick is bad for my hip. So I have taken to Wing Chun with a passion, as it doesn't worry my hip at all. So my questions are:

(1) Would it be a good thing to go from Wing Chun to JKD considering my injury?
(2) I've noticed that JKD uses the lead leg to kick. Unfortunately my lead leg is the one that is most sensitive, and I find throwing out any lead leg kicks to be uncomfortable, and sidekicks to be nigh impossible. Can I still practise JKD within these limitations?

Thank you for your time Sifu.

SifuLMDII
12-16-2001, 10:45 AM
Hello Straight Blast!

I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities!

(1) Would it be a good thing to go from Wing Chun to JKD considering my injury?

Unfortunately, this is a decision that only you can make! Wing Chun is the nucleus of the JKD system, so you definitely have a strong foundation for the switch, if you decide to change over!

(2) I've noticed that JKD uses the lead leg to kick. Unfortunately my lead leg is the one that is most sensitive, and I find throwing out any lead leg kicks to be uncomfortable, and sidekicks to be nigh impossible. Can I still practise JKD within these limitations?

Fortunately, JKD bends to fit the practitioner! Therefore, if you were to switch to JKD, it would be acceptable for you to just "leave out" anything that your hip problem does not allow you to do. What you have to think about here is this: Would you have to leave out so much that you would be just as well off to stay with Wing Chun? JKD is a power side forward art, so if your bad hip is your power side hip, it certainly presents some problems, as the lead leg is used for leg obstruction and entry techniques quite often!

Whatever you decide, I certainly wish you the best, and please feel free to call on me if I can be of assistance to you in any way! Take care and God Bless!

straight blast
12-16-2001, 06:38 PM
Thank you Sifu. Some food for thought. Do you have any affiliated schools in Australia? Specifically the Gold Coast/Brisbane area?
I'd still like to give it a try, and find out if I can do it or not.
Thanks again!

SifuLMDII
12-16-2001, 08:22 PM
Hello Again Straight Blast!

Unfortunately, I do not currently have anyone in Australia. I was in contact with some guys who were starting a martial arts magazine there, but something happened and they didn't get to follow through with their plans. I believe that one of the investors must have backed out or something. They wanted me to write regularly for the magazine, and they wanted to put me on the cover of one of the first few issues. They were also discussing bringing me to Australia for seminars. Oh well, maybe another door will open for me there soon! I am certainly willing to travel there to teach! That would be an awesome experience for me! I have a new website coming up soon, and all events will be listed there and kept current. The URL for the site is http://www.HardcoreJKD.com . Please feel free to visit the site when it is done. It will be an awesome website! If I am ever doing anything in Australia, it will certainly be listed there! Thank you for your interest, and I hope to meet you in person one day!

straight blast
12-19-2001, 03:21 AM
I look forward to it If you are ever up the Brisbane/Gold Coast way I'll make sure that I make an appearance & we'll talk shop.
I'm certain that plenty of people would love to attend any seminars that happen over here. Post it on the Forum 'cos I'm here all the time.
Thanks again & God Bless!
Straight Blast.

Cyborg
12-20-2001, 05:22 PM
I don't believe that statement. My stance is totally different, both my feet are in line through each other and on to the opponent. What else do I need to say? Not trying to start a fight here, just wanted those who don't do JKD to know not all of us agree with Mr. Davis. Do your own research on it and draw your own conclusions.

SifuLMDII
12-20-2001, 05:59 PM
PROPER ON GUARD POSITION

Your bai jong is TOTALLY incorrect if your feet are lined up straight! This destroys side to side balance, and eliminates rear tool torque/extension capabilities. The correct alignment is what we refer to as angular alignment. This means that the left foot will be just to the left of the centerline and the right foot will be just to the right of the centerline (not too much or the groin becomes an open target). The lead foot toe will be close to the line and the rear foot heel will be close to the line, and slightly raised. This allows for full use of waist/hip torque, and also allows full extension/penetration as well as straight line delivery with rear side weaponry. How do I know this to be correct? Because that is exactly how Bruce Lee himself taught the on guard position for Jeet Kune Do! Not trying to start a fight here, just wanted those who don't do JKD to know that not all of us practice the bai jong incorrectly. Try it and see for yourself!

Cyborg
12-20-2001, 07:34 PM
You are correct sir. I didn't explain clearly because I'm a lazy typist. My point is that that is totally different than a WC stylist. They stand almost straight on.

SifuLMDII
12-20-2001, 07:54 PM
Hello Cyborg!

Actually, Wing Chun has several fighting/training stances! If I am ever in your area, please come to see me and I will show you something that will definitely amaze you! I will start in the Wing Chun neutral stance. I will pivot on the heel of one foot and raise the heel of the other foot, raise the rear hand and lower the lead hand, and I will be in a perfect bai jong position! The body structure trained from Wing Chun that enables us to hold our forward centerline pressure so well is still there, it is just concealed! Bruce Lee revealed this to a few of his students, but most of them never saw it! Wing Chun Sifu Hawkins Cheung is a good person to talk to about such "subtleties" that Bruce Lee kept from the Wing Chun structure that are cleverly concealed in the Jeet Kune Do system! I can show you lot's of other cool stuff connecting Wing Chun to JKD that will definitely blow your mind! I hope we get the chance to train together one day and I'll be happy to show you these things!

Cyborg
12-21-2001, 09:09 AM
I do not doubt that the two are connected. There are some similarities but that doesn't make WC the base of JKD. JKD has similarities to boxing as well. Obviously everyone will make their own decisions on this and I just wanted to point out there are different schools of thought. We may simply have to agree to disagree about how much WC remains in todays JKD, if you're ever in Texas make sure to post it well in advance.
Happy training! Speaking of seminars, what's your basic curriculum? Thanks in advance.

SifuLMDII
12-21-2001, 09:45 AM
Hello Cyborg!

Bruce Lee himself said that Wing Chun is the nucleus of the Jeet Kune Do method! How much more direct does it get than that? :) Sifu Patrick Strong and Sifu Hawkins Cheung can tell you enough stuff backing this up to write several books! In fact, They have both already done videos covering this! To try to have really high level JKD skills without the Wing Chun can be compared to trying to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the bread! Without anything to hold it all together, what a BIG MESS!

As for my seminars, please go to my main website at http://www.jffaa.8m.com and take a look at the seminars section. There you will se a complete list of what I offer in seminars. As for my teaching curriculum at my Jun Fan Gung Fu Academy, I offer the entire Seattle, Oakland and L. A. Chinatown curriculums, along with a generous portion of Wing Chun Gung Fu so that my students develop a strong foundation.

As for seminars in Texas, I know for a fact that I will be coming to San Antonio to do a seminar in the near future. The exact date has not yet been scheduled. I hope that you can come and train with me! We'll have a blast! :)