PDA

View Full Version : What is JKD...really?

Badger
11-08-2001, 07:20 PM
I have been reading about Jeet Kune Do for years.Every book by Dan Inosanto,Paul Vunak,Larry Hartsell.Just about every magazine article that comes out about it And usually reads"What is Jeet Kune Do?". My conclusion to what JKD is really is(I mean what it really is):1)Get in top physical condition 2)Use what really works for you & keep it Simple.

To do this do we really need to train with Dan Inosanto,Paul Vunak,Larry Hartsell,Etc.(not taking anything away from any of these guys,I'm sure they are all great fighters) just to learn what seems to be common sense?

This is not meant to insult JKD or anyone who studies JKD so dont flame me or I will kick your A$$!
o ;) Just tell me what you think.

Badger

ˇ

BJJ is Superior to Mullets!G

jimmy23
11-08-2001, 07:30 PM
dont kick my a$$, or Ill cry like a girl and youll be embarrassed!

MOSt of the JKD Ive seen seems to be a hodge podge of guys playing at kung fu. However, Ive also seen some JKD guys who were serious fighters ( Cedric Marks gym out of Texas), they were good stand up fighters and had some solid ground skills.

The thing is (and this relates to the mcdojo thread), is JKD requires one to work very hard and be willing to experiment, take some whoopins and let go of their ego. Most martial artists (of all ilks) cant do this, so they stay in a comfort zone.

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

Cyborg
11-08-2001, 07:45 PM
My approach to JKD is one of refinement. Daily decrease is what I look for. Alot of people add techniques constantly, which is needed to fill the gaps in whatever system you learn, but it gets taken to the extreme. And it means (to me) using the body as scientifically as possible. No wasted motion. Cuz hey, as long as we all have 2 arms and 2 legs we're gonna move pretty much the same right?

Do you train at a dojo in Dallas or just with friends? I used to live in Keller and train there at a TKD Mcdojo that has since closed. (No, I don't do TKD)

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee

apoweyn
11-08-2001, 08:07 PM
i think jimmy nailed it really. being all philosophical about it, i think that JKD is whatever its practitioners make of it. and, regrettably, if most of its practitioners were to become nothing more than dabblers, then that's what JKD would, in effect, become. the art has no life outside of the people that practice it.

but initially, i kind of regard JKD as the application of the scientific method to martial arts. not the first time that was done and certainly not the last. more of a reminder really.

when martial arts were actually used in warfare, the scientific method was built in. "i believe that my sword skill will overcome said attacker." then that theory was tested in the harshest and most realistic experiment possible. and if your hypothesis was sound, you got to go home.

but as things changed, society protected its citizenry to the point that we didn't get that built in scientific method anymore. so we gradually slipped into the other methods of 'knowing': authority, rationalism, and intuition. authority: we 'know' something because someone we trust tells us it's so. rationalism: we 'know' something because it follows logically from premises we hold to be true. intuition: we 'know' something because it feels right.

JKD (as well as many others) rejected each of these. don't accept a premise just because this man told you to. don't accept a premise without testing the premises that rationally lead to it. and don't accept a premise because it feels right. test it.

formulate a hypothesis, set up an experiment, test it, and adjust as necessary.

bakes in 20 minutes. serves 8 to 12.

stuart b.

rogue
11-08-2001, 10:09 PM
It's a marketing concept. ;)

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Ryu
11-09-2001, 03:35 AM
I have no idea anymore.

Good grappling, striking, and weapons?
All sparred with intensity, and realism?

Hope so, cuz I don't know what I'm doing then ;)

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

honorisc
11-09-2001, 05:39 AM
"My conclusion to what JKD is really is(I mean what it really is):1)Get in top physical condition 2)Use what really works for you & keep it Simple."

Sounds like you've at least, about got it.

"To do this do we really need to train with Dan Inosanto,Paul Vunak,Larry Hartsell,Etc.(not taking anything away from any of these guys,I'm sure they are all great fighters) just to learn what seems to be common sense?"

Those people wanted for themselves what The Source of It could do. It follows that to get It get as close to the Source as possible. So (needle and thread),train with the students of the Master~ not the students of students~.

Since Mr. Lee (May he rest in Peace) came so close to what he was saying, people follow verbatim. However, in order to follow here, you can't be literal~top physical condition is subject to interpretation. Yet, Mr. Lee (May he rest in Peace) had something in particular in mind. You almost Have to do it on your own. But get the gist from Mr. Lee (May he rest in Peace)'s notes. To study under any other would be to learn their feeble understandings is to learn Their way. Although it might be sanctioned JKD even by Mr. Lee(May he rest in Peace)'s say. But if you want to be way like him, hit the rewind on the videos in the Video Cassette Recorders/Players, read all his notes you can~ and as you go through this life, enjoy the view.~

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Watchman
11-09-2001, 05:44 AM
Rogue is correct.

jimmy23
11-09-2001, 06:58 AM
Rogue, until the recent War Zone event I agreed with you, but at that event I saw three JKD guys who were good fighters, serious fighters, and they impressed me with what they were capable of and the spirit they showed in the ring. Not all JKD guys are like that, but these fellas sure were.

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

Ryu
11-09-2001, 08:21 AM
JKD is about personal expression in the martial arts. It's not a style of fighting that can make you the best as in "JKD vs. insert art"
:(

I practice judo, BJJ, some boxing, kicking, and weaponry like knives, etc.
Most of my stuff is clinching, and ground and pound. But I think I could still be considered "JKD" even though I don't do anything that resembles wing chun, or even Paul's stuff anymore. I find what works for me.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

logic
11-09-2001, 09:33 AM
I have had enough about J.K.D.
I respect it to the max.
I wanted to learn more about it 10 years ago but there was no one in my area that taught it.

Well, I was 17 years old at the time and I had 4 years of Karate at this time.

Chuck Norris just came out with his new movie the Octogone and in this movie there were ninjas
I think it was 1979.. Well anyway the ninja revelotion seem to really take off after that.
But I'm not one to argue about that.

If you train HARD on form, wooden dummy,ring fighting,SPEED,and hard punches and kicks,and learn a LITTLE grappling,you will win confidence.
It takes a little time.
Anyway I love studing J.K.D. when ever I get the chance to study it!

OH! and badger PLEASE don't kick my a-ss.
I'll give you my lunch money.

Honest Neutral Clarity

logic
11-09-2001, 09:48 AM
NOT

Honest Neutral Clarity

SevenStar
11-09-2001, 10:30 AM
I thought in a recent thread you said that you were getting back into trapping. Did you restructure you training?

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Ryu
11-09-2001, 06:59 PM
Hi SevenStar,

Well no, not trapping per se. I was trying to ressurect some of Paul's stuff like the blast, HKE, etc.
What I found was that I felt safer, boxing, closing the distance to clinch and throw, and then use the "HKE and punching" while in knee on stomach or mount, etc.

Ryu

rogue
11-10-2001, 12:28 AM
Jimmy23, I believe that there have always been people in the JKD camp that could fight, but the three letters, JKD, are a marketing tool also. You have people like Inosanto and Hartsell for example at the end that embody what JKD should be. Then you have a bunch of wanna be masters who have never mastered a system, who toss a bunch of techniques together, talk some smack about other systems including other JKD schools and slap the initials JKD somewhere in their name and get instant credibility for what they teach. I'll even admit that those guys could produce a good fighter but who'd even give them the time of day without JKD somewhere in their name.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society. (We are not affiliated with Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Jujitsu Kempo Karate Concepts, or Wan King Fist Kung Fu)

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

[I]
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum

diego
11-10-2001, 01:26 AM
true jeetkune do would be inspecting each triq from every thing that has hadda fight
then using each one when applicable
bruce lee just rehashing old masters thoughts in his cool little wordings is the exact point
ie:its a living art

diego
11-10-2001, 01:30 AM
opposed on how to think

if i throw sand in ya face;WILL YOU Blink".