PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anyone here want a task?!

DelicateSound
12-17-2001, 01:56 PM
I need to improve my fitness and power FAST. I'd like to bluk up a lot too. (I'm only about 175pds)

However I live MILES from the nearest gym and don't have the time to travel. In my home I have:

1) A 4 foot punchbag
2) Dumbells, 30pds each
3) A rowing machine

Any advice? I can't really run much as I have a bad footbridge problem - persistent injury really.

I know its bad to ask you guys to create a workout for me (sorry), but I can't seem to get very far.

I've started doing a nightly routine of:

* 15 mins bag work
* 15 mins forms
* Bench presses
* Curls
* Crunches
* Squats
* Stance work

Anything I can add?

prana
12-17-2001, 02:55 PM
if you are into western sports development, try researching on periodisation phase trainings and dont forget stretching.

If you are into TMA training, dont forget your stances and form trainings, and Qi-Gong training, and a lot of stretching.

What I see lacking is stretching, which could add to your plateau effect. Stretching itself can build a lot of power. See PNF stretch, do some research....

ElPietro
12-18-2001, 08:37 AM
It will be hard for you to push yourself if you are trying to get bigger with limited weight. Most of the tools you listed will be cardio based which doesn't help you bulk. My suggestion would be to either get more weights or something that can replace weights or find a way to get to the gym.

If you are trying to bulk you must lift for hypertrophy and take in calories in excess of your maintenence level...

No_Know
12-18-2001, 10:35 AM
Handstands against the wall, do this as long as you can. Sometime do push-ups while doing a handstand against a wall.

Do punching exercises or forms with the dumbells being held in your hands.

ElPietro
12-18-2001, 12:15 PM
Ignore anything this foo says.

No_Know
12-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Is ElPietro calling No_Know a foo(l)?

SevenStar
12-18-2001, 11:46 PM
Out of curiosity, why must you do it FAST?

No_Know
12-18-2001, 11:52 PM
kneel infront ofthe heavybag (if it is suspended), holding a dumb bell in each hand, bow to the side of the bag and under then come-out on the other side but not yet up, instead elbow upwards with the back of the elbow, thengo back thhe way you came. Go out and up and around to the other side then under and out, only toelbow-up with the other elbow-back.

The idea is to make a circle and a half before elbowing-up.

ElPietro
12-19-2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by No_Know
Is ElPietro calling No_Know a foo(l)?

Yup.

No_Know
12-19-2001, 08:13 AM
kneel in front of the heavybag (if it is suspended), holding a dumb bell in each hand, bow to the side of the bag and under then come-out on the other side but not yet up, instead elbow upwards with the back of the elbow, then go back thhe way you came. Go out and up and around to the other side then under and out, only to elbow-up with the other elbow-back.

The idea is to make a circle and a half before elbowing-up.

Thanks for straightening that out, ElPietro.

DelicateSound
12-19-2001, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the responce guys!

PRANA: Thanks for pointing out the lack of stretch training. I do do some, I just forgot to puy them on the list. I do about 15 mins a day. But I'll try to do more now.

EL PIETRO: I'm getting some heavier weights whenever I can get my arse into town. Xmas and all. Until then - "MiniTask": Make me some weights, I have: A table, a hell of a lot of books, a 1999 Gibson LesPaul Standard, an Ikea Melang Recliner, a lava lamp, and a three year old cat. Here's one I made earlier..... :)

NOKNOW: Fool or not, I'll try the handstand idea. But on your head be it....

SEVENSTAR: Because I believe that if you decide to do something you should DO IT, not arse around :) And because us Brits have about 3 weeks of Sun per year. That's the British "mating season", I want to look good for it. :)

NOKNOW: I have NO idea about that bag thing!!

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep 'em coming!

Robinf
12-19-2001, 11:52 AM
DelicateSound,

Be careful when doing those pushups in a handstand. Though, they really don't do that much good. You're not able to go the full range of motion because your head gets in the way, so they're really not that fruitful. You'd be better off with more pushups. If you're looking for variety (I know I'm pretty sick of regular pushups), try putting your feet up on a chair. Something different. If your cat's heavy, see if you can get him/her to lie on your back while you're doing pushups.

Robin

DelicateSound
12-19-2001, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info on handstands, but it's come a little late. Not only can I not do the push-up's, I can't do the handstands (ouch).

I'll try the press-up thing, feet on a chair etc. but I ain't letting that cat near me! (read the MA with pets post!)

BTW: Is it true that press-up's with the elbows pointed out (perpendicular to your body) rather than inline, are bad for your shoulders? I'm sure I've read that somewhere and I do it all the time.

Robinf
12-19-2001, 01:21 PM
I've never read that. I do my pushups first with elbows out, then with elbows in (to work the triceps). Also try pushups on your knuckles (fists--palms--parallel to your body) with elbows going back, and try to make a diamond (or triangle) with your hands, elbows out.

Advice is never too late. Now you know that handstand pushups are really nothing to work toward, though handstands themselves can be fun and good for meditation--but that's a whole other thing.

Robin

DelicateSound
12-21-2001, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the responce, I'l try and alternate my press-ups from now on. As for the advice, it was welcome anyway, if not my dumb skull would have told myself to try again :)

Apprentice
12-22-2001, 12:26 AM
Hey Delicate...um, when IS that mating season? Dates?:D

Ps: Seriously, i'll be checking this post again

DelicateSound
12-24-2001, 12:02 PM
Being British weather it can vary between early May until late August, depending on how it goes. In this "season", many things happen. A rare species known as "FitBirdInSkimpySkirt", Latin name: "fittuschickusumskimpiusgarmentus" appears, hiding out in many pubs and bars, until sunset, where it hides itself in the darkness of a local nightclub. :)

Furthermore, us men seem to be far more interested in the noble art of Football (DYT*: Soccer), where we find the smell of the grass and leather of our boots makes us turn into a younger, less arthiritic Diego Maradona for about 5-6 days. We also stop drinking Tetley, and change to a lighter variety of beer, like Foster's, Grolsch or even Carlsberg.

If you want I can e-mail you when the MetOffice thinks the Sun is on its way, and you can catch a budget flight out here :)

Better watch out for the deadly species of "Fattusgranniusintightusbikinius" - one single glancecan turn a man to stone.

*DYT=DumbYankTerminology (TM)

No_Know
12-25-2001, 07:21 PM
A press-up puts strenghth at the range one uses when Actually fighting. A press-up gives a fuller flexability and strength to the shoulders...here's a thought, I punch robinf and she can verify the general uselessness of pressups/handstands/walking on the hands (palms), fists, leopard's paws, or fingers/fingertips/jumping on the hands(palms), fists, leopards paws, or fingers/fingertips. That might be a so to speak (shake-a-can). But it was a relief to say~. No hard feelings robinf. Keep kicking. :-)

Merryprankster
12-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Sand bags... easily made from old military surplus seabags, duct tape and (whoda thunk it) sand. You can make a 125 lbs, 75 lb and 50 lb bag for about $50.

I personally plan on getting some bags custom made with 4 ply denim and a heavy duty zipper to make it easier to add weight.

Screw hypertrophy... unless you really want it. If you are looking for athletic performance improvements get a heavy rope and some sand bags, a pull up bar and some way to do dips.

If you had a gym near you, I would direct you to the squat rack. As it is, with the 150 lbs bag, you can do some rather evil deadlifting and some cleaning.

Avoid punching movements with the dumbells. This is generally not good for the joints. Some people do it fine with no problems, but I wouldn't want to find out!

DelicateSound
12-29-2001, 10:06 AM
I've heard about the punching with dumbells. Is it OK to do "explosive" bench presses though? You know, pushing up as quick as possible?

I've nicked your sandbag idea (:D) and am in the process of making mine bigger. Cheers!

Merryprankster
12-29-2001, 10:49 PM
If you want to do explosive bench presses, I would advise you to get some of those rubber bandy things you can hold in your hands and put around your back while you do push-ups and do those instead. This is a little easier on the joints. STOPPING the weight is tough on the joints, IMO when dealing with explosive bench press.

Another way to do explosive benches is something I have only read about, but makes perfect sense to me. Use long lengths of heavy chain welded to collars and use those in addition to some plates when you bench.

When the wieght is at the bottom of the movement, it is "light" because the chains are resting on the ground. As you push the weight up, it gets heavier. What that means, is that you have to explode throughout the entire movement in order to lift the weight.

Brutal. I believe this is a favorite of the westside powerlifters...

DelicateSound
01-01-2002, 03:11 PM
I'm no welder (unlike that girl from Flashdance :D)

So I'll try the rubber band idea. Cheers for the advice MerryPrankster :)